VFL'er James Parsons

WoodsmanVol

It takes wisdom to understand wisdom.
Seems this big guy is a walkon. He had offers from several Division 2 and Division 3 schools but turned his back on those scholarship offers to be a Vol. Wants in on our OL and has the size for it. He thinks our 2019 class will be the start of big and good things to come.

These are the players that make a difference...
These are guys who can help on the practice squad. The guys who will make the difference in this class are guys like Morris, Crouch and Gray. God bless this kid, but let’s not get it twisted.

Reactions: 82_VOL_83
These are guys who can help on the practice squad. The guys who will make the difference in this class are guys like Morris, Crouch and Gray. God bless this kid, but let’s not get it twisted.

Maybe. I'm inclined to think these sort of guys will also help on the field. If Rick Barnes can take 3 stars and make them into 4-5 star players, I'd bet a sum that Jeremy Pruitt & Co. can as well. Especially when a kid is game to hit the S&C program in earnest, learn the playbook, and makes sure he's ready if/when called upon. Proof? Look at Boise and similar schools that periodically beat P5 schools. You got the coach and players who walk through walls for him, they're better than 5-star players who basically feel everyone should wipe their rears for them. Just saying lower ranked players and we've seen quite a few including here at the UT, can thrive under a good coach. I'm gung ho for any player who dons the O&W and it means something to him and he plays like it.

Last edited:
Maybe, maybe not....one thing is sure though
You don't know!!
Educated guess. Give me names of the last Walk-one at Tennessee that “made a difference”....you know, the guys who were “the difference” between games won and lost at Tennessee.

Maybe. I'm inclined to think these sort guys will also help on the field. If Rick Barnes can tale 3 stars and make them into 4-5 star players, I'd bet a sum that Jeremy Pruitt & Co. can as well. Especially when a kid is game to hit the S&C program in earnest, learn the playbook, and makes sure he's ready if/when called upon. Proof? Look at Boise and similar schools that periodically beat P5 schools. You got the coach and players who walk through walls for him, they're better than 5-star players who basically feel everyone should wipe their rears for them. Just saying lower ranked players and we've seen quite a few including here at the UT, can thrive under a good coach. I'm gung ho for any player who dons the O&W and it means something to him and he plays like it.

First off, Barnes didn’t take walk-on players and build the #1 team in the country. He took very talented, underrated 2 and 3 star players, so your comparison is apples to oranges.

I don’t care who the coach is, gotta have the best, most talented players that are in high demand and coach THEM up and have THEM buy into the team concept and culture to build a championship program. Theres a reason all top programs and trying to get the top, highest rated players that are in high demand by all the top programs....and literally NO program tries to build their program on the backs of walk-on players

First off, Barnes didn’t take walk-on players and build the #1 team in the country. He took very talented, underrated 2 and 3 star players, so your comparison is apples to oranges.

I don’t care who the coach is, gotta have the best, most talented players that are in high demand and coach THEM up and have THEM buy into the team concept and culture to build a championship program. Theres a reason all top programs and trying to get the top, highest rated players that are in high demand by all the top programs....and literally NO program tries to build their program on the backs of walk-on players

You and I aren't really talking about the same thing in this post. I'm saying I'm not into dismissing a player as a tutor or practice bait not to be considered a REAL football player. It seems you are given your post prior to this one. We just happen to have a different value system about players including those who aren't god's gift to football by stars default. I'm all for our getting 4-5 star players and we should always be in the hunt for them. But I see any player donning the O&W as more than a mere tutor or practice squad fodder. All Vols players are special to me whether low stars or walkons. Now, I understand some folks don't feel that way. All power to such people, I, on the other hand, will always truly value and respect our O&W personnel.

Last edited:
Reactions: VolinMC
First-time-walking-on-ice.gif

Seems there were two linemen, say, oh a decade ago, that walked on and held their own.

VN Store

Back