VFL Passes .. Mike Cofer ...

So sorry for the loss of Mike (stop) Cofer.May peace envelope your family at this time and the future.Tears follow from volnation.

RIP Mike Cofer. Prayers for his family. I remember him at UT and Detroit. His motor ran continuously. If I am not mistaken, he had a big stop, for a safety against Notre Dame, in the 40-22 Vol win, in the early 80's, at Neyland. I think The Irish coach stated that he was unblockable.

RIP Mike Cofer. Prayers for his family. I remember him at UT and Detroit. His motor ran continuously. If I am not mistaken, he had a big stop, for a safety against Notre Dame, in the 40-22 Vol win, in the early 80's, at Neyland. I think The Irish coach stated that he was unblockable.
Nope wrong guy. But, he was on that team.

Reactions: StarRaider
A legend gone too soon. A great player at UT and the Detroit Lions. He was a legend at Rule High School. First time I saw Mike Cofer was in the fall of 1978. Rule was playing at Maryville. I was playing for Maryville Junior High then. All Maryville Junior High Football players got into the Maryville High School games for free. We always went in the gate next to the visitors locker room. I saw Mike Cofer outside the locker room. He looked like a grown man. He was a beast. I remember thinking Rule would kill Maryville. Maryville won 30 0. David Reed returns opening kickoff for touchdown. Reed was really fast but Mike Cofer nearly caught him. Reed was 180lbs Running Back. Cofer was a 6,6 250lbs Defensive End.

He was a solid player and RIP. His son Phil originally committed to play basketball here before going to Florida State after Martin left.

Just heard of former Rule High Golden Bear ... Tennessee Vol ... Detroit Lion has passed ... condolences to his family ... his son playing basket ball at Fla St ... tough time for him ... was in high school and played against the Cofers at Rule High .. outstanding athletes .. long illness for Mike ... rest in peace .....

Sad to hear. I will always remember the Mike "Stop" Cofer" and Mike "Go" Cofer game days in Neyland.

Nov. 10, 1979 (day after The Eagles concert)... ND could not tackle Hubert Simpson that day.

Reactions: Type Orange+

VN Store

Back