VFL....................Holly & Phil

Advol

Why does being a VFL give you a Get Out of Jail pass for failing at your job.
Holly and Phil...………...yes, grew up in TN. Grad of UT. Played at UT. Asst Coach at UT. Head Coach at UT.
Then when BOTH failed miserably in the end of their UT Coaching career, we have to hear the VFL, they gave soooo much cries.
Cries as both of them were taking their respective programs down the tubes.
And in BOTH cases, UT ticket holders, donations, etc. gave them pretty nice parting gifts. l $$$$$
How much money did Phil just GIVE away to Holly in the form of an extension during another flawed season.
YES, all the accolades bestowed on both when exiting are in fact true. I wish Holly well as I did Phil. But IT is a business sports fanz. Don't fool yourself, they were paid big money to be successful. And in the end, the failed and were let go. Pretty simple really. And in LV Basketball, if the next Coach fails, they should be dispatched also.
Good Luck Holly on whatever life brings you. Thank you for your time and commitment to the University of Tennessee.
Time to move on to the next ERA!

Well... considering BOTH were UT Alums... therefore, VFL's. I'm not really sure what you mean by "get out of jail pass". They were both fired weren't they? Now they both were probably given a bit more time than they should've received, but since they are Alum's, I can respect that. They are both one of our own. Being a VOL should mean something.

If I remember correctly, Fulmer re-negogiated her buyout down when he gave her an extension. I'm sure he wanted to give her an opportunity to prove she could do the job, but covered the bases in case she didn't. In Fulmer's case, he proved to be a good coach, but he got a little lazy in recruiting, and then some bad decisions for assistant coaches cost him his job. Holly just didn't understand how to coach, even though she sat next to the best of the best for so many years. They both gave their heart and soul to the University of Tennessee. Let's not pick them apart.

It's always better to have a former player as coach as long as they are up for the task. They should have fired Hamilton, made Fulmer AD and let him hire his replacement. That would have been a much smoother transition.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Be careful what you ask for, four football coaches later,three men's basketball coaches later, three baseball coaches later. ETC.

The Lady's basketball program will most likely never be on the level Pat built.
Maybe after three, four hires the program will be back in the Elite Eight, if your lucky.

It's always better to have a former player as coach as long as they are up for the task. They should have fired Hamilton, made Fulmer AD and let him hire his replacement. That would have been a much smoother transition.

That is some convoluted thinking and goes right with your avatar, but anything that has “fire Hamilton” in it, as an alternative to any situation, has merit. JMO

If I remember correctly, Fulmer re-negogiated her buyout down when he gave her an extension. I'm sure he wanted to give her an opportunity to prove she could do the job, but covered the bases in case she didn't. In Fulmer's case, he proved to be a good coach, but he got a little lazy in recruiting, and then some bad decisions for assistant coaches cost him his job. Holly just didn't understand how to coach, even though she sat next to the best of the best for so many years. They both gave their heart and soul to the University of Tennessee. Let's not pick them apart.
I agree. Fulmer making best of a bad situation. And, even though folks rail on Holly, I think she also needs to be appreciated for what she's done for UT. She was put into an impossible situation. Think about it, not only was Pat her mentor, who hand picked her, but they were also deep friends. What must it have been like to follow the greatest of all time in women's basketball (always impossible to follow a legend), and walk out every day onto the Summit floor and her statue outside...not just the shadow of her legacy, but her missing her friend. She gave her all and had mild success...she wasn't a train wreck, and had some decent accomplishments and represented the university with class...but, ultimately, the level of success expected wasn't there, so a change is needed. I think it's possible to be glad for the change, while also appreciating what she has done for the university.

Be careful what you ask for, four football coaches later,three men's basketball coaches later, three baseball coaches later. ETC.

Maybe after three, four hires the program will be back in the Elite Eight, if your lucky.
If Hart or Hamilton were still AD, I think it would be tough to get back. But, I think Fulmer has quickly created a needed family culture back on the Hill, so don't anticipate mis-steps in hiring top level coach...seems they're willing to do what's necessary.

I hate these takes.

Holly had to go. Case closed. But she also has dedicated more of her life then any of us to this school. A stand out player, a longtime trusted assistant of Pat. Just because she couldn't deliver a final 4 doesn't mean all of that is thrown out.

So if Candace Parker came here and failed as a coach we all of a sudden hate her? GTFO

You have to wonder how Fulmer felt in firing someone who was in a very very similar situation he was in when he got fired.

On another note, I hope Holly can come back some day, and add to her legacy, like Phil has. I thought it would be a train wreck, but I was so wrong.

Reactions: spyfish007
The expectations in some sports are much higher than what is expected at other schools. At UT, football and LV basketball are extremely high. We fired Johnny Majors who has a street named after him when his final season produced 8 wins for example. Both PF and HW were given a few years extra IMO because they were VFLs or legacies but they had to go. Any coach coming in as the LV HC has to know, especially if they come in with no prior connections to the school, they only have 4 or 5 years max to get it turned around to one of the top ten programs in the country and certainly at the top of the SEC, it's who we are, that standard won't change, and if a HC can't hack that, they need to avoid UT IMO.

The expectations in some sports are much higher than what is expected at other schools. At UT, football and LV basketball are extremely high. We fired Johnny Majors who has a street named after him when his final season produced 8 wins for example. Both PF and HW were given a few years extra IMO because they were VFLs or legacies but they had to go. Any coach coming in as the LV HC has to know, especially if they come in with no prior connections to the school, they only have 4 or 5 years max to get it turned around to one of the top ten programs in the country and certainly at the top of the SEC, it's who we are, that standard won't change, and if a HC can't hack that, they need to avoid UT IMO.

Absolutely. CPHS built a mansion. People should know that a starter home coaching job won't cut it here.

Reactions: tbwhhs
Holly and Phil...………...yes, grew up in TN. Grad of UT. Played at UT. Asst Coach at UT. Head Coach at UT.
Then when BOTH failed miserably in the end of their UT Coaching career, we have to hear the VFL, they gave soooo much cries.
And in BOTH cases, UT ticket holders, donations, etc. gave them pretty nice parting gifts. l $$$$$
How much money did Phil just GIVE away to Holly in the form of an extension during another flawed season.
YES, all the accolades bestowed on both when exiting are in fact true. I wish Holly well as I did Phil. But IT is a business sports fanz. Don't fool yourself, they were paid big money to be successful. And in the end, the failed and were let go. Pretty simple really. And in LV Basketball, if the next Coach fails, they should be dispatched also.
Good Luck Holly on whatever life brings you. Thank you for your time and commitment to the University of Tennessee.
I don't see anyone crying today and you seem to contradict yourself within this post. Most realize this had to be done. Most people are also mature enough, once a change has been made, to look at the overall contribution rather than just the end. Holly was an assistant coach for 8 National Championship teams after being one of Pat Summitt's first great players. She also left a roster of talent (assuming Horston stays in the mix and there are no transfers) which should allow for a smooth transition and give the next coach a chance at immediate success. Why are you so hung up on what she was paid (her salary was just middle of the pack in the SEC)?

Ok...……..not crying...………...maybe WHINNING! Whinning around "they gave their life to UT"...………….How dare they get fired?
What in the wide wide world of Sports would keep you from firing a flawed Coach...…….because they are VFL. The fact that they are a VFL may have assisted in getting them the job and may have assisted them in keeping it longer than most.....but all the comments around "howdarethey" is stupid.....IMHO! I am NOT railing on Holly. I am railing on the mention that she should not be fired because she is a VFL!

Ok...……..not crying...………...maybe WHINNING! Whinning around "they gave their life to UT"...………….How dare they get fired?
What in the wide wide world of Sports would keep you from firing a flawed Coach...…….because they are VFL. The fact that they are a VFL may have assisted in getting them the job and may have assisted them in keeping it longer than most.....but all the comments around "howdarethey" is stupid.....IMHO! I am NOT railing on Holly. I am railing on the mention that she should not be fired because she is a VFL!

If you were treated all your life with the lack of care and feelings you display towards others working toward something.... you’d definitely have a different view and possibly be very broken. (Message board harda—‘s are the best)

Having a heart and showing a little love goes a long way.

Now outside of you being a troll and trying to make up that everyone has treaty you this way.... I’m willing to bet you haven’t no matter your troll response. You sound more like you have a troll/bully’s heart. Growing up, I was. I wanted HW gone but do it with respect and class. Her respect never changed even if she was blinded by the results.

?????? Holly gets fired and that is not enough; you need a public flogging as well?

I can not imagine a SINGLE university would not have expressed appreciation to someone who had devoted decades of his/life to the University even if in the end things did not work out.

When her extension was granted, the LVs finished 25-8 and she had a strong recruiting class coming in. It would have looked terrible to fire Holly (who had 3 elite 8 appearances and close to 75% winning record) under those conditions (at a time when the Vol did not need any more bad press).
Fulmer had just started the job (of picking up the pieces); he was not going to court more controversy by firing, from the perspective of the national press, a coach whose credentials looked very solid.

However, the extension was limited in time (3 years versus the typical vote of confidence 5 year type) and it lowered her buyout clause.

It was clear that the intent was to put Holly on probation, without crippling her ability to recruit.

I predicted when the extension was announced that Holly had effectively two seasons (this past and the next) to show she could get the LVs back to a final four, unless the wheels totally came off this season.

Sadly, the latter is what happened.

Holly is now history; Phil made the right call; if you really want to see lots of people pissing on Holly's proverbial grave, maybe you should get a little bitterness out of your heart.

Last edited:

You must be a miserable MF. She was fired, so just move on.

I’m sorry if it wasn’t humiliating enough for you.

I’m sorry she wasn’t tarred and feathered.

I’m sorry that she’s receiving a public outpouring of love (which she is).

I’m sorry that even some who wanted her gone are showing class and giving her the respect she deserves.

There is absolutely no reason to be unkind to her. You sir, or madame, can take this post and cram it right straight up your a** sideways and on fire.

NNNNEEEEXXXXTTTT!!!! 😤

@Smallvol#1 I apologize again. 🧡

Reactions: madtownvol

NOT!

If Holly can win as much as she did with so-so coaching, we'll be Elite Eight within 2 years with a good hire.

NOT!

If Holly can win as much as she did with so-so coaching, we'll be Elite Eight within 2 years with a good hire.

Yep, same thing people said about Phil. Just hire the right coach and the world is our oyster.

You must be a miserable MF. She was fired, so just move on.

I’m sorry if it wasn’t humiliating enough for you.

I’m sorry she wasn’t tarred and feathered.

I’m sorry that she’s receiving a public outpouring of love (which she is).

I’m sorry that even some who wanted her gone are showing class and giving her the respect she deserves.

There is absolutely no reason to be unkind to her. You sir, or madame, can take this post and cram it right straight up your a** sideways and on fire.

NNNNEEEEXXXXTTTT!!!! 😤

@Smallvol#1 I apologize again. 🧡

😮😮😮😮😮😮😮 Breathe, breathe. Find the Ignore button. Use it. Go drink a hot cup of tea. Breathe, breathe. Feel better?

Remember what TO says, “Don’t wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig enjoys it.”.

Course I’d say trash is trash and don’t associate with it, but sometimes I forget my manners and I’m hateful😔.

Reactions: T_Vol376
😮😮😮😮😮😮😮 Breathe, breathe. Find the Ignore button. Use it. Go drink a hot cup of tea. Breathe, breathe. Feel better?

Remember what TO says, “Don’t wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig enjoys it.”.

Course I’d say trash is trash and don’t associate with it, but sometimes I forget my manners and I’m hateful😔.

I should use the ignore button. Thanks for talking me off the ledge. LOL 🧡

Reactions: Smallvol#1
"I’m sorry that she’s receiving a public outpouring of love (which she is)"
Sorry, that outpouring you hear is relief!!!!

applause2px.gif

Yep, same thing people said about Phil. Just hire the right coach and the world is our oyster.
A piss poor hire can't be blamed for firing a coach not getting it done. Who Tennessee hired was the problem, not because they fired Phil.

A piss poor hire can't be blamed for firing a coach not getting it done. Who Tennessee hired was the problem, not because they fired Phil.
Yep, it's all in who you hire. See UTs track record for example

"I’m sorry that she’s receiving a public outpouring of love (which she is)"
Sorry, that outpouring you hear is relief!!!!

View attachment 199720

You must not have been in Twitter. Even people who wanted a change are wishing her well and showing her respect. Sorry that fries you, but it’s happening.

VN Store

Back