Very Important regarding talking to recruits

StripClubDJ

This applies to us... very specifically.

"This is from Patrick Britz, Associate AD/Compliance, Texas Tech University. Please take a minute to read it.

The advancement of technology in our society has created many new and exciting forms of communication and sources of information. However, in the wonderful world of athletics compliance, this has created a rather daunting challenge. The NCAA and directors of compliance around the country have been enforcing rules concerning handwritten letters, telephone calls and face-to-face contacts. Now we are faced with chat rooms, instant messaging, video conferencing, message boards, electronic mail, Web sites and many other methods of communication that must be regulated by NCAA member institutions.

In light of some situations that have occurred at other Division I-A institutions around the country, we thought it might be a good idea to share with you what we have learned specifically about booster Web sites, message boards and chat rooms.

First of all, let me emphasize how much all of us in the Texas Tech athletics department value the supporters of this program. The fact remains, however, that the NCAA does hold us responsible for the actions of all our boosters. That is why we would like to take this opportunity to educate those who support the athletics department.

Booster Web sites and Message Boards:
The internet has provided the opportunity for boosters from all over the world to communicate with each other in a way that was not possible before. The following regulations regarding those sites are very important for all boosters who participate on these message boards to know:

(1) The NCAA does not consider the boosters who run these Web sites to be members of the media. Therefore, when the administrators of these sites contact a prospective student-athlete (an individual who has started classes for the ninth grade), interview them and place that interview on their Web site, Texas Tech is responsible for an impermissible contact. Recently, the University of Kentucky had a situation where some football recruits were interviewed by the administrator of such a Web site, which resulted in a violation for Kentucky. As a result of this violation, the university had to declare both recruits (who eventually signed with Kentucky) ineligible and appeal to the NCAA to have their eligibility reinstated.

(2) Boosters participating on a message board are not permitted to write, call or e-mail a recruit. Sometimes we will read on a message board that someone thinks it is okay to contact a prospect once they sign a National Letter of Intent with Texas Tech. However, that signing does not change the fact he or she is still a prospect and all prohibitions against booster contact continue to apply. We often also hear comments that because a person is not a graduate of Texas Tech or a season ticket holder, they believe they are not a booster and it is okay for them to contact a prospect. However, part of the NCAA’s definition of a booster includes anyone who contacts a recruit on behalf of the institution. Therefore, as soon as someone on a message board e-mails or sends a message out to a recruit, they automatically become a booster and are subject to the NCAA rules prohibiting such contact.

(3) The NCAA considers chat rooms and instant messaging to be telephone calls. Since boosters are not permitted to call a recruit, participating in a chat room with a recruit or instant messaging him or her is not permitted.

As electronic communication technology continues to advance, the opportunity for the boosters of an athletics program to have impermissible contact with a recruit or that recruit’s family is greatly increased. However, the school’s responsibility for that contact remains the same. To protect the Texas Tech athletics program and the young people who compete for all of us, we ask that all boosters who enjoy access to the type of Web sites described above assist us in following the guidelines that govern those sites. As always, your efforts to help Texas Tech remain compliant are greatly appreciated "

Note that this specifically applies to situations like the poster representing himself as a UT signee here the other day.
Note that you can make that student athlete ineligible to participate at UT by breaking those rules.
Note that anyone here, just by being a participant here, fits the NCAA definition of a booster.
If they are already enrolled and in class at UT it is fine. That is when a recruit becomes a student athlete. Once the young man is attending classes the recruiting rules about contact do not apply.

PLEASE DO NOT JEOPARDIZE the eligibility of the players, risk a violation charged against UT, or place this site in a bad position by using it to violate the rules.

I found this hanging around and thought it would be good to post. I just copied and pasted with permission.

ummm......Mathis who? Prank caller, prank caller.....I don't know what you're talking about......

But, you know, this brings up some very iffy circumstances.....what if a Florida fan came over here posing as a Vol fan, tried to contact a recruit.....how would they differentiate? Plus, maybe it's only really important during the dead signing period....I dunno......prank caller.....

You guys talking about theat Drelinebacker fellow?!

OMG that dude was a crock!

:yikes:

I find it hard to believe that the kid neglected our warnings and kept posting here. Maybe it was a friend of his or something.

Anyway, as for the article, this issue still has not technically been addressed by the NCAA as far as I know. This is just the interpretation of the compliance officers at TT. I am sure they are taking the better safe than sorry approach. If you ask me it also seems to be geared more towards email, IM, and chat sessions. I don't know what the resolution will be.

What would happen if a recruit under a disguised name came on a message board and started asking questions and people responded? Would that be a violation? People who are fans of schools talk to these kids all the time and nothing seems to come from it. The guys at Kentucky were actually calling and interviewing the kids and posting it to their website. I can see how that could cause problems. Even so, the kids still got into Kentucky.

I am not playing down the issue but the NCAA has a real problem on their hands if they are going to try and cut off all internet contact. At some point the burden has to be on the kids.

VN Store

Back