Vandy Loss = Pruitt Sucks

279lbs?

According to UTSports.com’s 2018 player roster https://utsports.com/roster.aspx?roster=2234&path=football......
Richmond 316
Kennedy 301
locklear 293
Niehaus 287
J. Johnson 285
Tatum 293
R. Johnson 302
T. Smith 320
Calbert 327
Carvin 303
Hall 328
Brooks 292

Avg OL Weight 2018....304lbs.
His head just split and he's got his whole research firm using all available resources and are committed to proving you wrong.

Reactions: KBVol
Behr,

First, there are people on here who have an agenda and both me and you know that. There are people who would fault CJP for rescuing kittens from a burning house and we have posters on here who would support OJ Simpson if he become our next coach (I guess unlike Butch Jones, he would go for the jugular).

I'll own that I may have jumped to conclusions too quick about @chargervol post but I viewed it as an excuse for the way we got blown out. I've seen plenty of those posts over the years with posters building in excuses for the incompetence of our prior two coaches. I see the point that @chargervol was making and while I do not 100% agree with it, it is based upon some logical thought process.

Contrary to what you might think, I think CJP very well may surprise us all this year. I think he has done an admirable job recruiting and identifying prospects, he upgraded the staff and some of the on the job training won't be present this year like it was very early last year. Unlike Butch and Dooley, you did not see coaching malpractice during the games and during the second half of the season, the team looked (by in large) better prepared at the beginning and end of halves. The one thing that is I'm extremely alarmed at how the season ended and the way the players essentially quit. That is a flashing caution signal in my mind. I'm hoping that its due to the lack of continuity in S&C or just from weeding out some CBJ troublemakers but I'm skeptical until I see further tangible proof.....

Until now I didn't know what you thought about Pruitt, don't care really because I'm not sure I even know how I feel about him, yet.

Reactions: RollerVol
279lbs?

According to UTSports.com’s 2018 player roster https://utsports.com/roster.aspx?roster=2234&path=football......
Richmond 316
Kennedy 301
locklear 293
Niehaus 287
J. Johnson 285
Tatum 293
R. Johnson 302
T. Smith 320
Calbert 327
Carvin 303
Hall 328
Brooks 292

Avg OL Weight 2018....304lbs.

You can only put 5 on the field at once. For the Vanderbilt game, the line was Tatum, J.Johnson, R.Johnson, Niehaus, and Richmond. Even going by those stats, that means our oline averaged 296 lbs, and that's banking on those weights being accurate since Jahmir Johnson couldn't hit 285 in full pads with a belly full of CiCi's Pizza.

How Jahmir Johnson wound up a 270-lb starting guard for the Vols

Ah the off season, where hope springs eternal and comparisons to multi NC winning coaches and others who made it to the big game flow freely like the salmon of Capistrano.

those salmon and swallows...always coming back...:D

GO VOLS!

No idea if Pruitt will get it done. Doubt we will know this season. I am as tired of waiting as anyone for us to be relevant. I just hope we go bowling. I say 6-6.

I was there as well. Hayden Fry brought his stitched together team (missing 16 1st & 2nd string players, including their kicker) to Neyland. that game featured the infamous North Texas handoff - Inside the Vols 20 yard line, QB Roach fakes to his right, turns to his left and essentially hands the ball to NT DE Burkholder coming in unblocked. Though they kept Burkholder from scoring, North Texas punched it in to tie the game at 7-7. On the ensuing kick-off, Burkholder hit Moore, causing him to fumble deep in Vols territory. Once again, North Texas scores to go up 14-7. Then, when the Vols finally score again in the 4th quarter, Battle calls for 1. As the fans express their dipleasure, the PAT is good and the game is tied. On the ensuing kick-off, the NT return man blows through the Vols untouched, jukes Billy Arbo, and scores on the 98-yard return. Down 21-14, the Vols march down the field in the manner fans had been expecting all game long. With a short field, no time-outs, seconds on the clock, and two wide open receivers in the end zone, the Vols QB throws the ball out of bounds to stop the clock after time had expired. There is no more embarrassing loss in my memory, not even Georgia's 41-0 victory at Neyland in 2018.[/QUOTE
Well, you detailed that black day in VOL history. That was pretty much the beginning of the end for Bill Battle.

It's very simple - Vandy isn't what they used to be. Nor is UK, USC, etc. We simply don't have a Kansas, Wake Forest, etc level program right now. The SEC success has risen all boats, unfortunately.

I keep hearing this over and over. "Pruitt isn't the answer. He lost to Vandy. No coach worth the job gets beat by Vandy!"

In general I agree - Losses to Vandy aren't acceptable. But you cannot judge coaches based on year one results.
  1. Year One Kirby Smart at UGA (with loaded roster) - lost to Vandy also.
  2. The classic example (year one Saban at Bama lost to La. Monroe).
You can't judge CJP good or bad based on his year one results.

Year 2 is a different story. Let's see what happens. If he has a chance to be good we should see some improvement this season. But when judging year two you have to take the starting point (4-8 in 2017). I think 7-5 in 2019 will be a good step - with 8-4 being a very positive sign.

But please no more references to "he lost to vandy so he sucks".

Vandy lost a lot of talent, Vols must beat Vandy this year if Pruitt is to succeed, that’s my take anyway

The analogy of two guys attending a poker match and the one guy playing hands his cards to his friend and says, "I gotta hit the head - don't lose my pot!" . The friend looks at the hand and the only chance is an inside straight. At least, that's what popped into my mind. Jeremy didn't get the inside straight, he lost the pot, but he's still in the game. Having typed all all that, an analogy doesn't seem necessary. The reality stands on its own. But, since I typed this up, I'm still going to post it.

You can only put 5 on the field at once. For the Vanderbilt game, the line was Tatum, J.Johnson, R.Johnson, Niehaus, and Richmond. Even going by those stats, that means our oline averaged 296 lbs, and that's banking on those weights being accurate since Jahmir Johnson couldn't hit 285 in full pads with a belly full of CiCi's Pizza.

How Jahmir Johnson wound up a 270-lb starting guard for the Vols
Niehaus did not play in the Vanderbilt game. He was out for an injury

The difference in Saban's track record prior to losing to La. Monroe and Pruitt's non comparable. Now, you could make an argument based upon how Smart performed in his first season at UGA with Pruitt's first season at UT. I would even argue that Smart severely underperformed considering their talent level as compared to UT's but he more than made up for it in his second season. If Pruitt can win 7 games or so in his second season at UT, all will be forgiven but if he has another subpar season as a head coach then the pressure to win in season three may be too much for a relatively inexperienced head coach.

Vandy lost a lot of talent, Vols must beat Vandy this year if Pruitt is to succeed, that’s my take anyway

I wanted to see exactly how much Vandy lost so I looked it up. VU lost its QB and best DB. They return a top notch WR, TE and RB. They signed a graduate QB who is a three year starter. They will miss Shurmur but they still have weapons.

I wanted to see exactly how much Vandy lost so I looked it up. VU lost its QB and best DB. They return a top notch WR, TE and RB. They signed a graduate QB who is a three year starter. They will miss Shurmur but they still have weapons.[/QUOTE

So the Vols are up shat creek?
Could be, but Vols tighten their jock straps and and end the streak

I wouldn't say either team is up a creek. However, the cupboard is not nearly as barren in Nashville as some on here have suggested.

The difference in Saban's track record prior to losing to La. Monroe and Pruitt's non comparable. Now, you could make an argument based upon how Smart performed in his first season at UGA with Pruitt's first season at UT. I would even argue that Smart severely underperformed considering their talent level as compared to UT's but he more than made up for it in his second season. If Pruitt can win 7 games or so in his second season at UT, all will be forgiven but if he has another subpar season as a head coach then the pressure to win in season three may be too much for a relatively inexperienced head coach.
Smart took a year to reset the culture, Georgia always had the talent. Pruitt is facing an uphill battle.

I can that 5-7 will be about it. 4-8 is likely. Hate to be that guy. However, not having beaten Alabama in 13 yrs gets a little old. Only have beaten Florida 5 times in 30 yrs. Tenn losing to vandy 3 in a row is deafening. Pruitt will never get a ring and UT is an average to below average program. Face it! 9-3!!!?

VN Store

Back