Vandy has lost 21 straight SEC games

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
Didn’t realize that until I saw an article about it. Holy cow.

Their last SEC win was against Mizzou in 2019, yikes.

Let’s see. Butch lost to Vandy in 2016 which gave him 9 in a row losing all in 2017. Pruitt lost 2 before beating Auburn. So that’s 11.

looks like Pruitt lost 6 in a row two different times.

Let’s see. Butch lost to Vandy in 2016 which gave him 9 in a row losing all in 2017. Pruitt lost 2 before beating Auburn. So that’s 11.

looks like Pruitt lost 6 in a row two different times.

It was impossible. Impossible for that 2016 Vols team to lose to that Vandy team. I mean that’s just unreal that it even happened.

Kamara/Dobbs/Jennings/Malone/Barnett/Wolf alone, with literally no other players on the field, could have at least given that Vandy team a fight lol.

It was impossible. Impossible for that 2016 Vols team to lose to that Vandy team. I mean that’s just unreal that it even happened.

Kamara/Dobbs/Jennings/Malone/Barnett/Wolf alone, with literally no other players on the field, could have at least given that Vandy team a fight lol.

The South Carolina loss that year was equally bad. All we had to do was beat either SC or Vandy and we win the East. Yet we lost them both.

Any given Saturday, I guess. Beat 3 ranked teams (including ranked Georgia) and lost to Vanderbilt. That Vanderbilt team beat 2 ranked teams (one of which was Tennessee) and unranked Georgia. The SEC east was a scramble that year.

The South Carolina loss that year was equally bad. All we had to do was beat either SC or Vandy and we win the East. Yet we lost them both.

I think when we lost to SC we effectively lost the East, because Florida beat LSU to win it. By the time we got to Vandy, Florida had clinched.

I do think beating Vandy basically guaranteed us a NY6 bowl though, and we couldn’t even muster that up.

I think when we lost to SC we effectively lost the East, because Florida beat LSU to win it. By the time we got to Vandy, Florida had clinched.

I do think beating Vandy basically guaranteed us a NY6 bowl though, and we couldn’t even muster that up.
Good old Butch, he wasted that legacy class and lots of talent while he was here.

Reactions: Megatron88
Didn’t we lose like 14 straight or something under Butch and Pruitt
We lost 11 in a row from 2016 Vanderbilt to 2018 Georgia.

I still think the bleakest period though in UT football history, at least since I've been alive, is when we won only 4 conference games from 2011-13. At least the 11-game conference losing streak started at the end of a season that ended 8-4 with a bowl win. 2011, 2012, and 2013 were totally hopeless feeling seasons where the only conference wins were an OT victory over Vandy, a win over a 2-10 UK team, a nice upset win over a good South Carolina team, and a victory over another 2-10 UK team.

Last edited:

Yes, a win over Vandy would have sent us to the Sugar Bowl.

Yes, a win over Vandy would have sent us to the Sugar Bowl.
We underachieved incredibly that season. Easily could’ve gone 6-6. Could’ve/should’ve lost to App and it literally took a prayer to beat a mediocre UGA team. Then Butch had the players put him on their shoulders and after winning the Music City Bowl. Very cringe worthy.

We underachieved incredibly that season. Easily could’ve gone 6-6. Could’ve/should’ve lost to App and it literally took a prayer to beat a mediocre UGA team. Then Butch had the players put him on their shoulders and after winning the Music City Bowl. Very cringe worthy.
Yeah, it was a very weird season. To a certain degree as fans we kind of had ourselves set up to be disappointed. At the UF game that year I saw probably 100 people in hats or shirts with "Feels like '98" written on it. That team, on paper or otherwise, was not similar to the 1998 team in any shape, form, or fashion.

Should have lost to App, were fortunate to get 5 turnovers from Virginia Tech in the Battle at Bristol (Tech probably wins if they don't commit those), sleepwalked through a game against Ohio, needed a huge second half comeback to beat UF, and needed a huge second half comeback + last second Hail Mary to beat UGA, and then almost pulled off a huge second half comeback to beat A&M. Then the bottom fell out.

I also distinctly remember telling my fiancee (now wife) after the Vandy loss in 2016 something to the effect of "I'm not saying 'Fire Butch' tonight, but he ain't the guy long term and we might fire him next year." She thought I was crazy.

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Yeah, it was a very weird season. To a certain degree as fans we kind of had ourselves set up to be disappointed. At the UF game that year I saw probably 100 people in hats or shirts with "Feels like '98" written on it. That team, on paper or otherwise, was not similar to the 1998 team in any shape, form, or fashion.

Should have lost to App, were fortunate to get 5 turnovers from Virginia Tech in the Battle at Bristol (Tech probably wins if they don't commit those), sleepwalked through a game against Ohio, needed a huge second half comeback to beat UF, and needed a huge second half comeback + last second Hail Mary to beat UGA, and then almost pulled off a huge second half comeback to beat A&M. Then the bottom fell out.

I also distinctly remember telling my fiancee (now wife) after the Vandy loss in 2016 something to the effect of "I'm not saying 'Fire Butch' tonight, but he ain't the guy long term and we might fire him next year." She thought I was crazy.

I am not a fire the coach guy. I typically believe in making that a last resort. That night was about as mad as I had been in a very long time w/ Tennessee football. Not December 2001 mad, but not that far away.I think I tweeted something similar to what you said about Butch. That was the moment I was convinced it wasn’t going to work.

Reactions: 05_never_again
I am not a fire the coach guy. I typically believe in making that a last resort. That night was about as mad as I had been in a very long time w/ Tennessee football. Not December 2001 mad, but not that far away.I think I tweeted something similar to what you said about Butch. That was the moment I was convinced it wasn’t going to work.
Yeah. I am not a "fire the coach" guy either. I didn't even jump on that bandwagon after Pruitt lost to Georgia St.

Both instances were a weird feeling, like "I am not saying that we should fire him now but he probably isn't the guy and I bet will be fired at some point in the not too distant future." Which, if you truly think that is the case, you probably should just go ahead and fire him now. lol

Reactions: RDU VOL#14

VN Store

Back