VanDerveer 1 win away from record

Records are made to be broken. I remember Pat and the lady Vols practicing in Alumni Gym in 1975 and she asked a couple of us Architecture students (who were former basketball players) to crash the boards so she could teach her girls to block out. I think they actually played some games in that old gym. She's come a long way Baby! Great player, person and coach!!! She was a trail blazer.

Last edited:
She’s a great coach but there will only be one Pat Summit. Pat set the standard. The greatest of all-time. Even Geno’s daughter thinks so.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Records are made to be broken. I remember Pat and the lady Vols practicing in Alumni Gym in 1975 and she asked a couple of us Architecture students (who were former basketball players) to crash the boards so she could teach her girls to block out. I think they actually played some games in that old gym. She's came a long way Baby! Great player, person and coach!!! She was a trail blazer.
Pat Summitt will forever have a recognizable name in the history of women’s basketball. Now what is the name of the Stanford coach again? VanDevere ? , yeah I know her, she was an actress married to George C. Scott at one time.

Last edited:
If Pat were alive and retired and watching Tara break her record, I am sure she'd be happy for her and that it WAS her who broke it. Like Pat, Tara has always done things the right way, and I know how much Pat respected Tara for being that kind of coach and leader of women.

I just wish she were going to get to break that record in front of a gym full of adoring, appreciative Stanford fans. It stinks that she'll break the record on the road in front of a COVID-reduced crowd. Hopefully the opponent will make sure, at the very least, that the game is temporarily halted to commemorate the momentous occasion.

Unlike players' breaking of individual records, coaches (and schools) setting records for wins fall into a different category. The win isn't official until the final buzzer, even when the coach whose team is behind walks over in the waning seconds to shake hands and concede defeat.

Now, as soon as the buzzer sounds, by all means the occasion should be recognized and the fans should applaud a worthy recipient of the accomplishment.

If Pat were alive and retired and watching Tara break her record, I am sure she'd be happy for her and that it WAS her who broke it. Like Pat, Tara has always done things the right way, and I know how much Pat respected Tara for being that kind of coach and leader of women.

I just wish she were going to get to break that record in front of a gym full of adoring, appreciative Stanford fans. It stinks that she'll break the record on the road in front of a COVID-reduced crowd. Hopefully the opponent will make sure, at the very least, that the game is temporarily halted to commemorate the momentous occasion.
If Pat was alive and Mentally great she would still raising record that would not be beat. In CHRIST Alone

It is a wonderful achievement but how do you measure greatness? Some would say total number of wins. But that just means a good coach has been a head coach for many years. Others would say it is a winning percentage. But then people say they just played a lot of cupcakes. Winning National Championships requires a team to beat the best that year and how all professional sports teams are remembered. Not for number of wins, or winning percentage but for championships. How many coaches have more than 2 National Championships? This is where you realize how far above Pat was as a great coach. Great is a much higher standard.

If she had lived and could've coached these many years Summitt would've easily reached 1400 wins. Sometimes longevity is the key to getting records. Congrats to Vanderveer for her many wins and the record.

Wins and titles are one mark of greatness and CPS will also be high on the list but over time she will gradually move down the table. However, her legacy extends far, far beyond these win-loss metrics.

Tara is an excellent and well-respected coach. Pat is a legend and deservedly so.

Last edited:
If Pat was alive and Mentally great she would still raising record that would not be beat. In CHRIST Alone

Of course. If she’d gotten at least 25 wins a year in the seven years since she left the game she’d have 1,275-plus wins by now, and that number would have continued to grow. So sad we’ll never know how many wins a healthy Pat could have finished with if she’d lived. 💔

Of course. If she’d gotten at least 25 wins a year in the seven years since she left the game she’d have 1,275-plus wins by now, and that number would have continued to grow. So sad we’ll never know how many wins a healthy Pat could have finished with if she’d lived. 💔
Yes but GOD had other plans for this wonderful woman in Heaven. But before she left she taught more people how to be God's child. In CHRIST Alone

VN Store

Back