Vaccine or not?

I don't understand your reasoning:

Flu was down this year because Covid took over, and people were shut down for much of the time or partially so. And one reason you didn't hear about the flu is that it's likely many flu deaths were called covid deaths. Lack of flu data doesn't tell us anything during a covid pandemic.

Of course covid spiked after the lockdowns, because the lockdowns did nothing to eradicate the virus. That's the point. Unless we had been shut down for two or more years, the virus was always going to spike after startup.

Transmission of diseases like the flu and covid have everything to do with proximity, duration of the contact with carriers, the number of sources, and protective measures. Huff's point was that we saw a reduction in the flu because of covid precautions. Every year when school opens, parents and kids get sick. It's not magic; a carrier brings a bug to school and meets all the criteria necessary for transmission - time, proximity, and lack of protective measures to disrupt transfer.

There's been too little actual discussion of population density - the statistically higher probability that someone will be exposed - again time, proximity, and number of sources. Safety measures for large cities should normally be different from areas with low population density.

If you're hot and bothered for vowels, may I suggest:

Fascinating story of why English vowel pronunciation differs from the continental pronunciation.

The unvaccinated are doing their best to ensure that COVID remains with us for years to come.
If viruses were like motorcycle helmets or seatbelts, where you are only putting yourself at risk, I'd agree. But that's not how viruses work. Many are not able to be vaccinated right now and you antivaxxers are increasing their risks unnecessarily because freedumb.
By this thinking everytime i get a cold...whoever gave it to me is liable for damages for me missing work........your health is your health....my health is my health..simple.

So you think that lockdowns are effective in preventing the spread of the virus? What happens if they just slow the spread and when the lockdowns end the virus spreads again like wildfire like we're seeing now? One way or the other we are going to have to end this virus and locking things down and wearing masks isn't going to do it.

Agreed. To an extent I don’t mind wearing the mask into places of business, airports, etc IF it does reduce spread somewhat. I’m even okay with social distancing if it helps businesses stay open and afloat. But the economic carnage and devastation of another lockdown may bring out the pitchforks. That “cure” is worse than the disease. Bankrupting more businesses and people while we throw out Monopoly money all over the place is a losing proposition.

Reactions: AM64 and VolStrom
If viruses were like motorcycle helmets or seatbelts, where you are only putting yourself at risk, I'd agree. But that's not how viruses work. Many are not able to be vaccinated right now and you antivaxxers are increasing their risks unnecessarily because freedumb.
Are minorities who aren't getting vaccinated dumb? Is that how you would describe them? If not why not? If you would then I look forward to seeing that post. Consistency matters.

Reactions: 10nacvols
Agreed. To an extent I don’t mind wearing the mask into places of business, airports, etc IF it does reduce spread somewhat. I’m even okay with social distancing if it helps businesses stay open and afloat. But the economic carnage and devastation of another lockdown may bring out the pitchforks. That “cure” is worse than the disease. Bankrupting more businesses and people while we throw out Monopoly money all over the place is a losing proposition.

The narrative is already set. Trumpers caused another lockdown, nevermind the unvaccinated illegals being shipped all over, 20% of Dems and 50% of blacks.
Now who is playing politics with this?

There were an estimated 20-40 thousand flu deaths in 2019. Covid killed hundreds of thousands in the first year. Most of those 20-40 thousand who died didn't have to .
Those flu deaths are counted as flu only...not thise with flu, and comorbities...ie i die in a car accident with thr flu...they dont count it as a flu death like the do wioth covid. Actual deaths from covid alone is 6% or roughly 36k.

The thing about resentment is that when it is pointed out to Trump cult members that their resentment-driven thinking is really, really, REALLY hurting themselves as much as anyone else, they drive their heads into the sand and resent it even more.

Honestly, aren't you fatigued trying to come up with justifications not to get vaccinated? And when I say "you," I mean the Trump adherents generally.
LOL You are on your game today Chief. Funny funny stuff

Reactions: Orangeburst
So you think that lockdowns are effective in preventing the spread of the virus? What happens if they just slow the spread and when the lockdowns end the virus spreads again like wildfire like we're seeing now? One way or the other we are going to have to end this virus and locking things down and wearing masks isn't going to do it.

From personal observation (non professional - just based on learning and using protective equipment in the military and nuclear industry), I'd say well less than half of mask users used either an appropriate mask or used a mask appropriately. I don't think we can draw any conclusions whatsoever about mask use because of that fact alone. Further I think there was a tremendous amount of misinformation about what masks actually do and transmission of the virus. For example, particle size led some people to say masks are ineffective, but little discussion about whether the virus was moved as a single entity or embedded in vapor droplets (normal exhalation, sneezes, coughs). Common sense almost dictates the latter, but, hey, I'm an engineer not a CDC bureaucrat who studies this stuff.

I put those failures directly on the bureaucracies like the CDC that we pay dearly to procreate and supposedly protect the country. I remember growing up seeing Civil Defense bomb shelters stocked with food and water. It seems like FEMA (the supposed CD replacement) would have had emergency supplies of protective gear stashed away, so what did they do with the funding, and why wasn't the CDC prepared to know how viruses are spread and to educate the public?

You've got that right. They swarm, and nothing in that continent is made for a 6'8 walking wall.
Japan is wonderful. White guilt ridden self loathing liberals would call them 'racist'... but they are wonderful people.

Reactions: AM64
I'm all about some social distancing. I hate when people get up in my business in line at the store.

I’ve always been that way. I’m like “back it on up Chief!” And for the love of Mike and all that’s holy, why do some people have to get four inches from your face to talk to you?? I know this guy and every time I see him he does that. Finally had to stick my hand in his chest right after Covid started and say, “dude, there’s a virus going around!”

I’ve always been that way. I’m like “back it on up Chief!” And for the love of Mike and all that’s holy, why do some people have to get four inches from your face to talk to you?? I know this guy and every time I see him he does that. Finally had to stick my hand in his chest right after Covid started and say, “dude, there’s a virus going around!”

A close talker?

It's not magic; a carrier brings a bug to school and meets all the criteria necessary for transmission - time, proximity, and lack of protective measures to disrupt transfer.

And yet, school age children, with rare exception, do not get this virus or transmit it to others. That's what the science says. And we're supposed to listen to the science, right? All but the teacher's unions, I guess.

I have a couple coworkers that are clueless on personal space. Irritates the heck out of me. They want to ask me a question they could just send me an IM or call me. No they have to walk over to my desk. And one of them is worse than the other. He stands right next to you like you were joined at the hip and freaking breaths heavy all over the place. Keyboard, mouse, coffee. Whatever. Hot breath everywhere. A couple years ago year he grew an epic beard but when he’d stand next to my desk his beard would drag across my coffee cup. He doesn’t know because it was like a foot long/wide beard.

I got a brief reprieve with social distancing last year and it was nice. It’s all over now though.

VN Store

Back