Vacation / Travel

are you concerned about Covid, and if so does CCL require vaccinations and test for Covid at the port before boarding the ship?

Do you just not like CCL or the Caribbean?hope you can get a refund.

I think you should go and then give us a review. I've been wanting to hear from someone that's been recently to compare pre-covid cruising to now.

Go. Why do you wanna cancel?

There are tons of Vax requirements, but a lot of cruises have been getting turned around and also ports have been refusing to allow entry because of supposed breakthrough cases onboard during the cruise.The last few years have been pretty crazy and we’ve been looking forward to the vacation we planned for a long time. I’m pretty laid back, but i think we both want to be able to go to our scheduled stops, or any ports. We received an email yesterday saying that that may not happen, and that it’s entirely possible the entire thing might just be big sea day.

I don’t think we’re that concerned about the physical problems that we might face if we get the new variant. We’re both boosted at this point, but we have a little boy who is under a year and he will be staying with my parents. They’re both boosted, but have had some health complications recently. We’d hate to bring it home and give it to our baby or my parents, or also have to quarantine and have my parents look after him for another week. That’s asking a lot for 2 people my parents age.

When i asked for y’all’s feedback I was surprised that the responses were mostly telling us to go. Most people think we’re kind of crazy . If we don’t go we’re going to try and go somewhere in the Keys or maybe the southwestern Gulf Coast of Florida bc our flights are non refundable to Miami. If you guys have any suggestions for the Keys or the Fort Myers area I’m all ears.

Reactions: Go aeiou
There are tons of Vax requirements, but a lot of cruises have been getting turned around and also ports have been refusing to allow entry because of supposed breakthrough cases onboard during the cruise.The last few years have been pretty crazy and we’ve been looking forward to the vacation we planned for a long time. I’m pretty laid back, but i think we both want to be able to go to our scheduled stops, or any ports. We received an email yesterday saying that that may not happen, and that it’s entirely possible the entire thing might just be big sea day.

I don’t think we’re that concerned about the physical problems that we might face if we get the new variant. We’re both boosted at this point, but we have a little boy who is under a year and he will be staying with my parents. They’re both boosted, but have had some health complications recently. We’d hate to bring it home and give it to our baby or my parents, or also have to quarantine and have my parents look after him for another week. That’s asking a lot for 2 people my parents age.

When i asked for y’all’s feedback I was surprised that the responses were mostly telling us to go. Most people think we’re kind of crazy . If we don’t go we’re going to try and go somewhere in the Keys or maybe the southwestern Gulf Coast of Florida bc our flights are non refundable to Miami. If you guys have any suggestions for the Keys or the Fort Myers area I’m all ears.
You gotta do what you think is best. As much cleaning as a cruise ship does, I think it's safer than going to get groceries.

And I would board a ship today and sit in the ocean for a week if I could. But that's me and my circumstances.

You'll make the right choice.

Been on two. Both Caribbean, both on Royal Caribbean. After a day or so being on the boat just got old, felt cooped up.

We had children in our early 20s, and when we got them out of the house we did what we've both have always wanted to do, travel. Our first cruise was a 4 day caribbean on RCL. We said we would never cruise again. That was our last on RCL. and only one other Caribbean cruise. At 39 we were over the sun and sand. At some point you avoid sun because of skin cancer. wife has already had some removed.
I think RCL is an excellent line for families and especially children. Just not for us.
We have 20+ cruises now, but treat the ship like a hotel in order to see different parts of the world. Alaska s hard to beat, and it's close to home. Norway is the most beautiful place we've visited, and best seen from the sea, fjords. Look at all the major cities in the world that are located by the sea. We either use cabs or private guides in major foreign cities rather than ships excursions.
We have been traveling by land and sea for 30 years now.
If you try a cruise again you might give Celebrity, Princess or Holland America a try. Get a balcony.
OTOH, there is plenty to see in North America.

You gotta do what you think is best. As much cleaning as a cruise ship does, I think it's safer than going to get groceries.

And I would board a ship today and sit in the ocean for a week if I could. But that's me and my circumstances.

You'll make the right choice.

I see what you’re saying. Hard to turn down the Caribbean right now. Thats for sure. I‘m really not a person that‘s been afraid of Covid from the beginning. I’m not now either. I’ve always believed in common sense ways of taking care of yourself while allowing yourself to live life. I just think it’s easy to Test positive for Omicron.

Last edited:

I didn't mean to suggest you go. You were not specific about why you might not go, but Covid was definitely the most likely reason why. I wouldn't go, and for similar reasons, but different circumstances.
Some people love the ship, but I couldn't take a week at sea. We did that on a transatlantic cruise, and we both hated the long stretch of sea days. Sounds like you can get a refund.
Have you talked with the airline to see if they will let you rebook your flights later when you find another cruise or another vacation ? UA is advertising that they do that. I have flights booked with them now. The major airlines have actually been acting decently recently. If flights were booked through the cruise line they are usually cancelled and refunded in a situation like this.
We've been to Miami for a week and Ft Myers. It'll be warm, good food, things to do.
Good luck!

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I didn't mean to suggest you go. You were not specific about why you might not go, but Covid was definitely the most likely reason why. I wouldn't go, and for similar reasons, but different circumstances.
Some people love the ship, but I couldn't take a week at sea. We did that on a transatlantic cruise, and we both hated the long stretch of sea days. Sounds like you can get a refund.
Have you talked with the airline to see if they will let you rebook your flights later when you find another cruise or another vacation ? UA is advertising that they do that. I have flights booked with them now. The major airlines have actually been acting decently recently. If flights were booked through the cruise line they are usually cancelled and refunded in a situation like this.
We've been to Miami for a week and Ft Myers. It'll be warm, good food, things to do.
Good luck!
We haven’t talked to the airline yet. We should’ve gone through carnival to book the flights, but for whatever reason we chose not to. I’ll look into it today. I’ve never to Miami for vacation or the west coast of Florida . Made the long the drive from KTown to Key West for Spring Break one year (will never do that again), wouldn’t be opposed to finding a spot in the Keys.

You have to decide what's best for you, but I'd go. Any vacation you go on has a chance of being altered in some way these days, so you have to have the open mind of being flexible. Our Africa trip was, but it was an amazing trip.

I'd say if you are going to be upset about changes and want something to go as planned, probably hold off.

If you fly to Miami, try Playa Largo - there is a great Marriott there or do the Cheeca Lodge, about another 45 minutes south. World class fishing and spa!

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
I think you should cancel, but that's because I hate cruises 😂
All cruises aren’t created equal. Took a few Caribbean cruises in my younger years, you couldn’t pay me to take one now. Cruises are a great way to se the Hawaiian islands and Alaska. The European and Mediterranean ones are great also.

I might be an oddball on this, but I’ve found that I don’t like to visit places with extreme poverty which is most of the Caribbean. Ocean is beautiful but I just can’t relax and spend my vacation money without feeling bad with all these folks struggling to survive.

Last edited:
All cruises aren’t created equal. Took a few Caribbean cruises in my younger years, you couldn’t pay me to take one now. Cruises are a great way to se the Hawaiian islands and Alaska. The European and Mediterranean ones are great also.

I might be an oddball on this, but I’ve found that I don’t like to visit places with extreme poverty which is most of the Caribbean. Ocean is beautiful but I just can’t relax and spend my vacation money without feeling bad with all these folks struggling to survive.
Beggars, panhandlers, pickpockets , and thieves preying on vacationers does ruin some of the most beautiful places on Earth. You might as well stay in Florida and just put up with damn yankees and the Florida man. I prefer not to vacation in any spot you have to remain on resort property to feel safe enough to relax.

Or, you could go somewhere that tourism is a way for people to make money.

Reactions: volwindy and hog88
Been on two. Both Caribbean, both on Royal Caribbean. After a day or so being on the boat just got old, felt cooped up.

Other than my first cruise during embarkation I’ve never felt cooped up. That first one when we got on the boat I was telling the wife “ok this isn’t going to work” but after that it was great.

Reactions: vollygirl
Who has experience with Dominican Republic? What are your thoughts on how safe it is for a family?

Never felt “unsafe” in the DR. Last time there we rented a SXS and had a guy at the resort give us some routes to take and places to stop instead of doing a guided tour. Had a freaking blast and we were way off the beaten path.

Never felt “unsafe” in the DR. Last time there we rented a SXS and had a guy at the resort give us some routes to take and places to stop instead of doing a guided tour. Had a freaking blast and we were way off the beaten path.

Can you recall the resort name? I found a house where they actually offer a chef service. Hadn’t booked it yet, but I was skeptical about it being as safe as an actual resort property.

Reactions: UT_Dutchman

Or, you could go somewhere that tourism is a way for people to make money.
Hawaii, Alaska, Europe and the Mediterranean all have huge tourism industries, and people make money. Unfortunately, the Caribbean islands have many problems the cruise industry does not fix including low education levels, and lack of economic diversification.
Cruise ships visiting ports have had a negative impact in many ways. Several towns/cities have limited the number of ships allowed to dock. I've been in Venice when the walkways are so crowded it's human gridlock. Venice has finally stopped the large ships from sailing through the city because of the damage they do.

Last edited:
Can you recall the resort name? I found a house where they actually offer a chef service. Hadn’t booked it yet, but I was skeptical about it being as safe as an actual resort property.
We stayed at the Paradisus Palma Real a Melia resort right outside Punta Cana. 7 or 8 restaurants, 2 different buffets, and 4 or 5 bars. Deep sea fishing and golf easily accessible. Great place.

Hawaii, Alaska, Europe and the Mediterranean all have huge tourism industries, and people make money. Unfortunately, the Caribbean islands have many problems the cruise industry does not fix including low education levels, and lack of economic diversification.
Cruise ships visiting ports have had a negative impact in many ways. Several towns/cities have limited the number of ships allowed to dock. I've been in Venice when the walkways are so crowded it's human gridlock. Venice has finally stopped the large ships from sailing through the city because of the damage they do.
I recall you saying your soon taking a Mediterranean cruise. 3 years back I found Barcelona and the leaning tower in Pizza to have substantial North African refugees who were panhandling and aggressively selling junk. Hopefully that’s improved since.

I recall you saying your soon taking a Mediterranean cruise. 3 years back I found Barcelona and the leaning tower in Pizza to have substantial North African refugees who were panhandling and aggressively selling junk. Hopefully that’s improved since.
Did you find Pisa interesting? You see it and after five minutes we found it somewhat boring. Those leaning structures are all over that area of italy. We saw several that were somewhat camouflaged, and we would not have noticed them if they had not been pointed out to us. The town of Pisa was not interesting.
Barcelona. They give Masters degree in pickpocketing. Rome, PHDs. Watch out if you get surrounded by children.
The refugees are everywhere selling stuff, but we haven't seen them being overly aggressive. I suspect panhandling has gotten worse. It used gypsies.
We do have a stop at Livorno. Looks like staying near the port isn't very desirable, but neither is making the trip to Florence for a few hours. Still, Florence and David are not to be missed.
How did you like Barcelona?

VN Store

Back