'21 VA CB Tony Grimes (North Carolina commit)

Figured this kid would eventually end up with an offer but never thought it would come this early. Will never not be cool to see a guy offered from my high school alma mater. Pretty sure his first ever offer came before he was even a freshman, VT offered him in middle school.

Tennessee hosted and offered cornerback Tony Grimes, who could end up as one of the best cornerbacks in the class. He played varsity football as a freshman at Prince Anne High School in Virginia Beach, Va., last season and has offers from Texas A&M, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Maryland and Rutgers.

Tennessee made quite the impression on the young prospect.

“Tennessee — oh, I loved Tennessee,” Grimes told SEC Country. “When I walked inside, it was big and real-life Tennessee.

“It’s beautiful. From the mountains to the game field, which is crazy. I heard they pack a lot of fans.”

“It was very surprising,” Grimes said. “See, I was excited but I didn’t let it show. It was something that’ll push me to work even harder. My dad lost it. He was rolling, I’ll say that.”

-B. Morgan

CB Tony Grimes enjoys his first trip to Knoxville: 'Oh, I loved Tennessee'

Grimes apparently has a pretty good relationship with Hardesty that dates as far back as when he was coaching running backs at Norfolk State (kid was only in middle school). Forgot about that little detail on MH, might give him some good contacts in the Hampton Roads area.

Reactions: 1 person
Grimes apparently has a pretty good relationship with Hardesty that dates as far back as when he was coaching running backs at Norfolk State (kid was only in middle school). Forgot about that little detail on MH, might give him some good contacts in the Hampton Roads area.

thanks for the info. I can see MH being a big time recruiter for us. Dude will be a P5 position coach sooner rather than later too from everything i've heard.

Hope we can keep him on staff as long as possible.

thanks for the info. I can see MH being a big time recruiter for us. Dude will be a P5 position coach sooner rather than later too from everything i've heard.

Hope we can keep him on staff as long as possible.

Quotes from Latrell Scott (remember him?) who is the Head Coach at NSU when asked about Hardesty taking the job on Pruitt's staff:

“There’s no shock to me that Montario is going forward in his career,” said Scott, who’s declined interest from multiple FBS powers to be an assistant to remain coach of the Spartans. “Montario was a leader when I was there at Tennessee, and he’s been a leader everywhere he’s been. And he’s been a leader, on and off the field.”

“His success from college and then the NFL translates to our game,” Scott said. “He’s an excellent teacher, excellent recruiter. He’s got a passion for our game. I truly believe he’s a rising star in coaching. I felt it. Lane felt it.

“Montario had two separate opportunities to go (from Norfolk). The first time, obviously, he didn’t. Second time, he did. It was the next step, and I told ‘Tario he did all we asked for and more at Norfolk. He did a great job coaching running backs and special teams.”

Top Performers: Under Armour Baltimore

That Tony Grimes is a freshman at Virginia Beach (Va.) Princess Anne, which is remarkable. The class of 2021 standout was tremendous in coverage and he was able to be physical and also had the looseness in his hips to turn and run with the receiver. Grimes is long and athletic and also showed he loves to compete. His offer list includes Maryland, Michigan, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Virginia and Virginia Tech.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Talk about an early developer. Love getting in early on these underclassmen and building those relationships. You're not going to score blue chip talent coming in late. Best of luck to this young man and hopefully he is wearing orange in a few years.

Reactions: The Artful Dodger
ALDIE, Va. – It was a runaway Defensive Back MVP win for class of 2021 Tony Grimes at the Rivals 3 Stripe Camp presented by adidas on Sunday. The rising junior already holds more than two dozen offers, and recently came from visits to Florida and Tennessee. “I think that was my fourth time (visiting Tennessee),” Grimes said. “They changed the staff and got the DB coach from Alabama (Derrick Ansley) who coached for the Raiders. He knows what he is doing and he coached pros. He was showing me some things that he was doing with his players, and it looked like it worked.”

The most recent trip to Tennessee took place the weekend of April 6. Grimes’s trip to Florida happened a couple weeks earlier and was his first time visiting Gainesville. “I just went down there for a weekend,” Grimes said. “Coach Torrian Graycame from Virginia Tech. He put a lot of DBs in the League, and that’s what I like about him. Florida is doing a lot of upgrades and rebuilding, but the stadium was what I saw on TV – it’s huge. The Swamp is real!”

In between the Florida and Tennessee visits, Grimes made trips out to Morehead, Pittsburgh and Penn State. He does not have any further trips scheduled for the spring yet, but would like to see LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Notre Dame if time permits. Although Grimes’ recruitment is well underway, he is only halfway through his high school football career and is not looking to rush a decision.

“Me and my dad have a plan and I think we are going to take our time with it,” Grimes said. “I will probably take spring official visits (next year) because I will have the school I’m going to go to by next year’s fall.” Grimes plans to be a mid-year enrollee at the college he chooses.

-Rivals

Reactions: LouderVol
As many times as he's been on campus, you'd think we would be in a better position. Ansley needs to get up to Virginia Beach and see about him.

Reactions: xston
This is the year all that talent congeals in the back end. Considering our top two corners are a converted WR and RB I would have to think some of these top guys are going to be thinking Tennessee is the spot because of both the coaching and the depth chart.

Reactions: PA Vol

VN Store

Back