'21 VA CB Tony Grimes (North Carolina commit)

Pruitt and Ansley are damn good recruiters who specialize at the DB position. It's hard to believe we have only landed one top 100 DB in the last 3 years.

They might be " damn good recruiters", but nowhere even close to the elite, and certainly way off compared to Ala., OSU, and Clemson.

They might be " damn good recruiters", but nowhere even close to the elite, and certainly way off compared to Ala., OSU, and Clemson.

Disagree. Pruitt was arguably the best recruiter in his stops at FSU, UGA, and Bama. OSU, Bama, and Clemson have all won natty's the past few years and played in the CFP. We have 4-5 win seasons, zero players drafted, and Butch f$^&%g Jones in that same span. Not exactly apples to apples here.

I think they are as good as anyone.

I didn’t like it because I like it, just because I agree. “You” isn’t whining or hand-wringing, but he isn’t trying to pretend that recruiting is great right now either. It is what it is, and right now it is ho hum.

True. Key words "right now"

It's only April. It's usually ho-hum this time
Of year with a few exceptions

Last edited:
Recruiting has been ho hum
2 five stars and 23 four stars in two years is nothing to stick your nose up at. Again, these guys are trying to sell Kia's to Audi drivers. These kids can go anywhere they please and we've been lousy recently. That's not an easy sell. Few staffs could do better given the circumstances.

This current class is underwhelming at the moment as far as star rankings, but I can't see a scenario where we aren't top 10-13 by signing day however that shakes out.

2 five stars and 23 four stars in two years is nothing to stick your nose up at. Again, these guys are trying to sell Kia's to Audi drivers. These kids can go anywhere they please and we've been lousy recently. That's not an easy sell. Few staffs could do better given the circumstances.

This current class is underwhelming at the moment as far as star rankings, but I can't see a scenario where we aren't top 10-13 by signing day however that shakes out.

I think he was talking about the current class, which is undeniably underwhelming/ho hum. I totally agree that the last two classes have been as good as anyone could reasonably expect. And you are dead on about these coaches needing a product to sell. I’m hoping all our major targets will hold out long enough for us to prove something on the field this year, and at this rate, I’m hoping the coaches don’t fill up all the spots before that happens either.

Recruiting has been fine.

2019: Avg. ranking the highest it has been in a long while. Top 10 depending on the site.

2020: A top 10 class with a good avg. rating.

I expect this class to be around the same, unless we have a 9-3 or 10-2 type regular season, then I see at least top 7.

I think he was talking about the current class, which is undeniably underwhelming/ho hum. I totally agree that the last two classes have been as good as anyone could reasonably expect. And you are dead on about these coaches needing a product to sell. I’m hoping all our major targets will hold out long enough for us to prove something on the field this year, and at this rate, I’m hoping the coaches don’t fill up all the spots before that happens either.
You and I don't agree much on TN Football recruiting, but I can say this...imo...this is a good response.

Edit: I try to give credit where credit is due.

I didn’t like it because I like it, just because I agree. “You” isn’t whining or hand-wringing, but he isn’t trying to pretend that recruiting is great right now either. It is what it is, and right now it is ho hum.
Boy is bama burning it up ,at this rate they'll only have 4 players in 4 years !!!

Recruiting has been ho hum

It’s actually been really good. You and some other fans might pay attention to rankings and stars (which have both increased under Pruitt btw compared to Butch’s last 2 classes), but I just see we are a much bigger, faster, stronger, more talented team than when Pruitt took over and the bust rate has gone down dramatically. And we have a QB of the future. And relative stability on the coaching staff. And we’re back in Memphis and North Carolina. And we’re sending guys to the NFL again. And we’re winning more games on the field. You can say recruiting is ho hum, but that is just false.

It’s actually been really good. You and some other fans might pay attention to rankings and stars (which have both increased under Pruitt btw compared to Butch’s last 2 classes), but I just see we are a much bigger, faster, stronger, more talented team than when Pruitt took over and the bust rate has gone down dramatically. And we have a QB of the future. And relative stability on the coaching staff. And we’re back in Memphis and North Carolina. And we’re sending guys to the NFL again. And we’re winning more games on the field. You can say recruiting is ho hum, but that is just false.
There lies the problem. You people are comparing our recruiting to Butch’s classes. Stop doing that.

We need to land guys like Tony Grimes, Payton Page, Zach Evans...

Reactions: MrVolton

Nice post--sums up my thoughts on early recruiting too.

The fate of this class hinges on whether we win 8-9 games this year. That said, we absolutely cannot have a repeat of the first two games last year. Even though we rebounded in a big way, the narrative of losing two games we should have easily won (especially to GSU) hurts us on the recruiting trail.

Reactions: BucksnortVol
How many 3 stars have we had commit now that people got upset about, only for them to turn into 4 stars by the end of the cycle? Harrison, Hyatt, Calloway come to mind... I'm sure there are others. We may not be recruiting at the level of programs that are perennial CFP contenders, but that doesn't mean our recruiting is ho-hum. We have quite a few blue chip prospects coming in.

How many 3 stars have we had commit now that people got upset about, only for them to turn into 4 stars by the end of the cycle? Harrison, Hyatt, Calloway come to mind... I'm sure there are others. We may not be recruiting at the level of programs that are perennial CFP contenders, but that doesn't mean our recruiting is ho-hum. We have quite a few blue chip prospects coming in.
Cooper was a 3 star I think at one point

Reactions: jwilliams
There lies the problem. You people are comparing our recruiting to Butch’s classes. Stop doing that.

We need to land guys like Tony Grimes, Payton Page, Zach Evans...

Did those guys commit to other schools?

Reactions: barrylee

VN Store

Back