‘23 VA ATH Cameron Seldon (Tennessee Commit)

Cameron Seldon has a few favorites in mind among the colleges he’s considering, but he’s not ready to reveal them just yet. And they might not perfectly align with the unofficial top five his coach announced more than a month ago.

The four-star Class of 2023 athlete from Northumberland High School in Heathsville, Va., already has made plans for a few official visits, though, and he’s beginning to work toward a possible summer commitment. He told 247Sports’ Jacquie Franciulli that he has scheduled official visits to Maryland the weekend of June 10, Tennessee the weekend of June 17 and Penn State the weekend of June 24.

Virginia and Virginia Tech hosted the 6-foot-1, 210-pound Seldon on his most recent visits in late April. The top five his coach released on April 4, which Seldon said “wasn’t official,” consisted of Virginia, Tennessee, Penn State, Maryland and Wake Forest.

“I have a few (favorites), but I’m not going to announce them yet,” said Seldon, who’s ranked by 247Sports as the No. 24 overall prospect and No. 3 athlete in the 2023 class and the No. 2 junior from the state of Virginia.

As Seldon discussed his interest in each of the teams that are set to host him on official visits next month, he referred to both Penn State and Tennessee as “one of my dream schools.” He said that “played a big role” in his decision to take an official visit to Penn State.

The Vols hosted him for the first time the weekend of March 26. The visit allowed him to attend their first spring practice in pads, Tennessee coach Josh Heupel’s staff made a strong impression on Seldon while he was there.

He said he likes what he has continued to hear from the Vols since then.

“I love Tennessee,” Seldon said. “I don’t know what it was. It was Coach Heup. It was really all the coaches, but Coach Heup and (wide receivers) coach (Kelsey) Pope, they really played a big role in that, too. Their energy, it was just normal. It wasn't forced or awkward. Everything was just normal. It was real cool. I liked it.”

Seldon said he stays in contact with “a few coaches” at Tennessee, including Heupel, Pope, senior offensive analyst Max Thurmond and Alex Golesh, the Vols’ offensive coordinator and tight ends coach. Golesh stopped at Northumberland on Friday to check on Seldon.

During his trip to Tennessee nearly two months ago, the Vols broke down some of his film and showed him how they envision using him in their offense. Seldon told 247Sports’ Brian Dohn in late March that “they were talking receiver, some running back, some returns” in explaining his possible role.

“Basically, they showed me my film, and then they showed me theirs and how it translates,” Seldon told Franciulli. “And then he elaborated on everything, and it all was making sense. And then I was actually, like, learning things. And it stood out because no other school had done that, and that plays a big role. That lets me know that I can come there and fit.”

Seldon said he likes “everything at Penn State,” and he has started to develop strong relationships with Nittany Lions coach James Franklin’s staff.

“Penn State, along with Tennessee, is one of my dream schools each, so that played a big role,” Seldon said. “But actually getting to know the staff, like (safeties) coach (Anthony) Poindexter, (running backs) coach Ja’Juan (Seider). Coach Franklin, he flew down here in a helicopter. That was really big. That was tough.

“And Poindexter, his brother used to coach here. He’s, like, from this area, so that was a nice thing. And I just like them. They’re real cool.

“They’ve got a lot to offer. They have a great business school. They care about their athletes. They have a different standard. I like everything at Penn State.”

Maryland is currently set to host him on his first official visit in a little more than three weeks.

“I like Coach Brew and the whole program,” Seldon said, referring to Terrapins wide receivers coach Gunter Brewer. “I’ve looked into it, and it was a great time up there. Just felt like I was at home. It was real cool.”

Despite his trip to Virginia last month, Seldon said he’s “probably not going to set an official” visit with the home-state Cavaliers. He said he’s “not sure yet” whether he will try to use all five of his official visits before making his college decision.

He already has a good idea of what he’s hoping to find in a school.

“I want to go to a school where I want to win championships,” he said. “I want to have great teammates, great connections with the coaches, players on and off the field, the classroom — just feel like I’m at home, don’t have to worry about this thing or that thing. Just feel and be surrounded by real people.”

Seldon said he hasn’t finalized his plans for announcing a commitment, but he thinks he might be ready to announce a decision within the next couple months.

“The plan is to do these officials and make a decision in July,” he said. “But that’s not confirmed 100 percent yet.”
-Callahan

Go back to 1995, 1996.

UGA Rb - Robert Edwards. He was like a taller, heavier Alvin Kamara. Until he got injured in Pro-Bowl flag football.

I think Seldon can be like that.

Reactions: hjeagle1vol

VN Store

Back