‘23 VA ATH Brandyn Hillman

The rotation would be larger if guys prove they can be trusted in practice. The coaches actually want a rotation of 7 guys at receiver. They have to have seven guys they trust to get it done. We've had 2 separate guys now (Keyton and Hyatt) say that their limited reps were because they didn't put in the necessary work.
Hyatt and Keyton’s stories are nice and all, but let’s be honest. Their reps were limited last year because VJJ and Payton were ahead of them on the depth chart. Sure Hyatt improved in the off-season, but he did nothing but make big plays last year when he did get in. There’s a reason why Keyton saw limited reps this season until Tillman went down despite him making a great catch and run to open the season. This staff simply doesn’t like subbing guys in and out mid drive because it gives the defense a chance to sub. Golesh said during fall camp that they felt like they had 6-7 guys they could rotate around, but we’ve yet to see that happen outside of mop up duty. Holiday even made a huge play on opening night and Merrill has 4 receptions for 67 yards and 2 TDs in his limited playing time. I don’t know what else the staff needs to see to give them more reps. I’m not bashing the staff by any means. Just stating the obvious that if a WR isn’t in the top 4-5 he’s not going to see the field much when it actually matters unless multiple players get hurt

The rotation would be larger if guys prove they can be trusted in practice. The coaches actually want a rotation of 7 guys at receiver. They have to have seven guys they trust to get it done. We've had 2 separate guys now (Keyton and Hyatt) say that their limited reps were because they didn't put in the necessary work.
Also the staff praised Jimmy Holiday all through spring and fall camp and he’s still not getting meaningful reps at WR

Reactions: NighthawkVol
Hyatt and Keyton’s stories are nice and all, but let’s be honest. Their reps were limited last year because VJJ and Payton were ahead of them on the depth chart. Sure Hyatt improved in the off-season, but he did nothing but make big plays last year when he did get in. There’s a reason why Keyton saw limited reps this season until Tillman went down despite him making a great catch and run to open the season. This staff simply doesn’t like subbing guys in and out mid drive because it gives the defense a chance to sub. Golesh said during fall camp that they felt like they had 6-7 guys they could rotate around, but we’ve yet to see that happen outside of mop up duty. Holiday even made a huge play on opening night and Merrill has 4 receptions for 67 yards and 2 TDs in his limited playing time. I don’t know what else the staff needs to see to give them more reps. I’m not bashing the staff by any means. Just stating the obvious that if a WR isn’t in the top 4-5 he’s not going to see the field much when it actually matters unless multiple players get hurt
You're absolutely right.

And people need to stop giving a Heupel a pass where he doesn't need one.

Damn, Heupel himself admitted that the whole staff STOPPED being aggressive the last 6 mins of the game.

In other words, THEY'RE STILL LEARNING themselves.
This non-substition crap needs to go yesterday!!

Reactions: Volfan1000

I can point to quotes from both Hyatt and Heupel that say Hyatt wasn’t fully ready last year.

I knew I had to pickup the slack for him because Velus is a great player, elite player. And to play in this offense, you have to be elite. You have to be elite, every time. So, that’s my mindset coming in. And I knew when Velus left right after that bowl game, I had to step my stuff up. That’s what I did and I just want to continue to do that,” Hyatt said

When being asked why the team plays so hard for Heupel:

“He believes in us,” Tennessee receiver Jalin Hyatt said.“When you have a head coach that believes in you, believes in what you can do, it makes your game go to a whole ‘nother level. When I was going through my struggles last year he believed in me last year. That’s why I go so hard. That’s why this team goes so hard, because he believes in us.”

An admission from Heupel that Hyatt wasn’t ready last year:

“No shortcuts. Guy that wanted to be great a year ago. And then worked to be great this entire offseason," Heupel said of Hyatt's start to the 2022 campaign.

Another:

"Even in the middle part of last year, his focus and attention to detail, he understood that it needed to change," Heupel told local reporters about Hyatt following Tennessee's first practice of fall camp. "He started making those changes. Dramatically different from the time that we got back in January. We talked earlier about guys who have changed their bodies. He has added a ton of size, strength and maturity to his frame. I think that's gained a lot of confidence for him and how he plays with a physical presence. That can be in 1-on-1 matchups. It can be blocking on the perimeter. It can be the way he presents himself and finishes plays when he has the ball in his hands, too. All of those factors give him the ability to have a big year for us this year."

Also the staff praised Jimmy Holiday all through spring and fall camp and he’s still not getting meaningful reps at WR
Think about it this way....Our DB's are not very good. So if a receiver isn't consistently getting open against our guys in practice, would you trust them in SEC competition in a tight game?

Reactions: GenRRN and Orange.
You're absolutely right.

And people need to stop giving a Heupel a pass where he doesn't need one.

Damn, Heupel himself admitted that the whole staff STOPPED being aggressive the last 6 mins of the game.

In other words, THEY'RE STILL LEARNING themselves.
This non-substition crap needs to go yesterday!!
If our defense would get some 3 and outs and give the ball back to the offense quickly then there would likely be more rotation with the WR group. We all know the fast paced offense we run tries to not substitute by design in order to prevent the other team from subbing. Our #1’s at WR are getting so much recovery time between series due to our defense constantly giving up 8+ play drives. Throw in the many play reviews by the officials along with the commercial breaks and our O is getting 10+ minutes between series to recover. In a close game, I’m playing my best if they’re 100% until they show fatigue. JMO

Reactions: BelieveTheHeup93

VN Store

Back