UT will be the most improved team in the SEC

So I’m just scrolling through the forum, what do I stumble across..a dawg, gator and a bammer debate. Lord, what has this world come to. Carry on.

I'll say we win 6 and I am being generous...Still not sold on a number of things with this team including the coaches and players until proven otherwise...I hope they all prove me wrong and win a bunch but sadly I am now use to being beaten to a bloody pulp by teams like Vandy and Mizzou...We should NEVER lose to teams like that so in the words of the great Ron Wright, We need to give those teams a good ole Tennessee dog whuppin!

Reactions: DWright39
I'll say we win 6 and I am being generous...Still not sold on a number of things with this team including the coaches and players until proven otherwise...I hope they all prove me wrong and win a bunch but sadly I am now use to being beaten to a bloody pulp by teams like Vandy and Mizzou...We should NEVER lose to teams like that so in the words of the great Ron Wright, We need to give those teams a good ole Tennessee dog whuppin!
Needless to say I love this lol

Needless to say I love this lol
Haha!...I tell ya, Your dad was one of the best mic men in the business and always had a clever answer to everything thrown at him...I play some of his old footage for the guys at work who are big WWE fans and tell them this is how it was in the good ole days and they just love hearing him talk and cause trouble....The man was a Tennessee treasure that's for sure lol

Reactions: Big Al Orange
Juedy is a stud, no doubt. Trevon Grimes will be a number one draft pick if he stays healthy, just watch. 6’5” with sub-4.5 speed and great hands. Van Jefferson will be a long-time NFL guy. Swain, Cleveland and Hammond will have their shot too, likely drafted in later rounds, depending on things like Combine results and Pro Days. Kadarius Toney is an electric college WR.

If you wanna take Bama over UF, I can’t argue that. But when someone suggests UF’s WR’s are behind UGA and Tennessee, that’s nonsense. Florida’s WR group is right there with anyone in the nation in terms of depth and talent. This is the best WR group at UF since Percy Harvin, Louis Murphy, Riley Cooper, Deonte Thompson and David Nelson were all on the same team.
I don't know much about UT's receivers, but I know Bama is elite and UF has great depth there. All UGA has right now is one solid receiver in Holloman and a bunch of potential. I personally would have UGA behind Bama, UF, and UT.

Reactions: Jaws
Ol’ “one-read Franks” threw for 24 TD’s against only 6 picks, and finished with a QB rating of 143.4. Franks was playing outstanding football by year’s end, excellent passing and a much-improved runner as well. Frank’s last 4 games, he accounted for 12 TD’s (8 passing/4 rushing) and threw 0 picks. He had an excellent spring, he’s going to have a huge year. Some of you are in denial regarding Franks’ improvement and ability. And you’re also forgetting Dan Mullen’s history with getting QB’s to reach and surpass their potential.

Regarding the o-line, this isn’t Muschamp or McElwain coaching staffs. Mullen and Hevesy will have the o-line ready to go. And if the o-line is a weakness, Mullen knows how to minimize that liability through play-calling and playing to strengths. I’m not convinced the o-line will be bad. The bodies are there, the size is there, experience is there at Center and LG. There is nothing to suggest Florida won’t be much-improved as a team, and they were very good last year. So improving on 10-3 could mean a big year.
Sure looks like to me that Franks’ late season “success” was dependent on his competition.

For instance, in the 9th game of the year vs Mizzou, a loss for Florida, Franks was 9-22 for 84 yards and no tds, a 73 QB rating.

Next, game 10, vs SCar, he was steady, but hardly great, while throwing for all of 161 yards and just 1 td/0 ints qb (by comparison, JG completed 69% of his passes for 207 yds, 2 tds/0 ints vs SCar).

Next, he killed it vs mighty Idaho....274 yards, 3 touchdowns, 192.3...best game of the year besides game #1 of the season vs Charleston Southern when he threw better than 1/5 of his total td passes for the year. So, 8 of his 24 td passes last year were in 2 games vs Charleston Southern and Idaho.

Next, Franks played well vs lowly Florida State....threw for 274 yards and 3 tds vs one of the worst FSU teams we’ve seen in a long time win...not overly impressive imho.

Finally, he played ok vs Michigan in the bowl game....13-23 for 173 yards and a TD.

I know you guys are really touting Franks and how great he was last year, how he progressed....but let’s be real here....he improved but he’s still a long way from being something to write home about.

Juedy is a stud, no doubt. Trevon Grimes will be a number one draft pick if he stays healthy, just watch. 6’5” with sub-4.5 speed and great hands. Van Jefferson will be a long-time NFL guy. Swain, Cleveland and Hammond will have their shot too, likely drafted in later rounds, depending on things like Combine results and Pro Days. Kadarius Toney is an electric college WR.

If you wanna take Bama over UF, I can’t argue that. But when someone suggests UF’s WR’s are behind UGA and Tennessee, that’s nonsense. Florida’s WR group is right there with anyone in the nation in terms of depth and talent. This is the best WR group at UF since Percy Harvin, Louis Murphy, Riley Cooper, Deonte Thompson and David Nelson were all on the same team.
You’re pushing it saying Van Jefferson will play in the nfl, much less saying he’ll be a “long time nfl guy”. He runs good, crisp routes and has good hands....but he’s average at best athletically and speed wise. Unless he picks it up substantially this year he’ll have to do it as an undrafted free agent imho

With the teams you mentioned, add in Mizzou and you have a recipe for 8 or 9 wins. All of them have lost just HUGE pieces of their teams (Lock, Hall and Beckner from Mizzou .. Snell, Johnson and Allen from UK .. Shurmer from Vandy .. Deebo from USuCk .. half a freaking team from Miss St) ... yes, UT has some questions to address on both LOSs but who in that list doesn't?

I am not feeling Rosy about the Mizzou game. Unless Kelly Bryant works miracles against our secondary, he isn't accurate enough to beat the Vols with deep throws.

However, he is a very good runner, and can extend drives with his legs. I don't see our D-line being athletic enough to consistently contain him. I hope I'm wrong. I would live to see the Vols win 8. I am not optimistic about 9 this year.

I am not feeling Rosy about the Mizzou game. Unless Kelly Bryant works miracles against our secondary, he isn't accurate enough to beat the Vols with deep throws.

However, he is a very good runner, and can extend drives with his legs. I don't see our D-line being athletic enough to consistently contain him. I hope I'm wrong. I would live to see the Vols win 8. I am not optimistic about 9 this year.

He is a mystery but he did have a lot of talent around him at Clumpson. Yes, he can extend drives which is wear and tear on the DL and the LBs so we shall see .. Just feeling like this i the year for UT to move up a couple of notches.

Reactions: preacherwebb

Bryant has a mediocre arm and doesn't make great decisions with the ball. If you can keep him in the pocket, he's not a threat.

Here's the Football Time In Tennessee College Football Top 25:cool:

1)Clemson
2)Alabama
3)Oklahoma
4)Georgia
5)Ohio State
6)Texas
7)LSU
8)Michigan
9)Florida
10)Notre Dame
11)Washington
12)Penn State
13)Oregon
14)Texas A&M
15)Iowa
16)UCF
17)Utah
18)Auburn
19)Wisconsin
20)Northwestern
21)Washington State
22)Stanford
23)Iowa State
24)TENNESSEE
25)Nebraska

Reactions: k-town_king
Here's how Football Time in Tennessee thinks the SEC will go in 2019

SEC East

1)Georgia
2)Florida
3)Missouri
4)Tennessee
5)South Carolina
6)Kentucky
7)Vanderbilt

SEC West

1)Alabama
2)LSU
3)Texas A&M
4)Auburn
5)Mississippi State
6)Ole Miss
7)Arkansas

Reactions: MAD
Here's how Football Time in Tennessee thinks the SEC will go in 2019

SEC East

1)Georgia
2)Florida
3)Missouri
4)Tennessee
5)South Carolina
6)Kentucky
7)Vanderbilt

SEC West

1)Alabama
2)LSU
3)Texas A&M
4)Auburn
5)Mississippi State
6)Ole Miss
7)Arkansas

The West seems accurate but I think FU is in for a huge fall with all the drama and having Todd Grantham in there each year defenses get worse. Mizzou, well, I guess it depends on how Kelly Bryant looks but I believe they actually got a second QB out of the portal that has a better arm and maybe not as mobile but can run still. I can honestly see UT beating both of those this year .. they gotta take care of the Vandy's and the Kentucky's of the conference though like they should.

I just hope that if UT wins 8 or so games that the off season hype train doesn’t blow off into the stratosphere like it did when Butch was around.

Pruitt will actually be projected to take a step back in 2020. We lose a lot of upper classmen next year.

The first 2 aren’t happening. The last 3 are more likely, although it seems Kirby finds a way to lose to Bama so I would lean towards these predictions ending up 2-3. Bama will not throw for 400+ yards a game and will not set SEC records for ppg and ypg. Bama lost some OL starters and had more turnover in the coaching staff. Maybe Sark is more suited for the college game but I was not impressed with his job at Atlanta. Unfortunately, we won’t be going 9-3 either. I see 7-5 and I guess 8-4 is possible but we still have too many concerns on both lines to be consistent enough for 9-3.

I'm going with 9-3 also. Not even going to watch games. :p
Bout done with baby steps. We been crawling (with the exception of a few years) since 1998. No SEC Title in 21 years. These kids we are recruiting have never seen our Vols win a championship. We got a guy who was our 10th head coaching choice running our football team and most fans seem giddy about it. If Will Friend doesn't do his job this next season we have to look for a better OL guy who can coach AND recruit. I would be happy with 8 wins that includes a win over Vanderbilt!!!!!! (baby steps remember?) Not happy with what our future looks like, it's just been way too many years of misery. smh:confused:

Bout done with baby steps. We been crawling (with the exception of a few years) since 1998. No SEC Title in 21 years. These kids we are recruiting have never seen our Vols win a championship. We got a guy who was our 10th head coaching choice running our football team and most fans seem giddy about it. If Will Friend doesn't do his job this next season we have to look for a better OL guy who can coach AND recruit. I would be happy with 8 wins that includes a win over Vanderbilt!!!!!! (baby steps remember?) Not happy with what our future looks like, it's just been way too many years of misery. smh:confused:

Your bolded statement is some great conjecture to go along with your huge plate of whine. Its gonna be at least anotger couple of years before we get good. Thanks to a decade plus of absolute brain dead AD leadership, we have arrived to where we are now. We are in year 2 of a 3-5 year rebuild. I think Pruitt made the wrong choice for OL coach and this year will tell alot. Just might as well get ready for another couple of rough years.

Reactions: Mike Moffett
The first 2 aren’t happening. The last 3 are more likely, although it seems Kirby finds a way to lose to Bama so I would lean towards these predictions ending up 2-3. Bama will not throw for 400+ yards a game and will not set SEC records for ppg and ypg. Bama lost some OL starters and had more turnover in the coaching staff. Maybe Sark is more suited for the college game but I was not impressed with his job at Atlanta. Unfortunately, we won’t be going 9-3 either. I see 7-5 and I guess 8-4 is possible but we still have too many concerns on both lines to be consistent enough for 9-3.
To be fair, this year is the first year where UGA talent can match Bama talent. Kirby’s first class are now upperclassmen (Jrs), he had to mask defeciences previous staff left. That’s why I think Pruitt has to get 4 years, get his players in the system and time to develop.

Reactions: MemphisVol77
Your bolded statement is some great conjecture to go along with your huge plate of whine. Its gonna be at least anotger couple of years before we get good. Thanks to a decade plus of absolute brain dead AD leadership, we have arrived to where we are now. We are in year 2 of a 3-5 year rebuild. I think Pruitt made the wrong choice for OL coach and this year will tell alot. Just might as well get ready for another couple of rough years.
I like Friend, but if Pruitt did hire the wrong guy, it’s hard to fire your friend/college roommate. Richt made that mistake with Willie Martinez.

Unfortunately, I think this is the least likely of those predictions to happen. We'll improve but issues on both the O-line and D-line are going to hold us back.

Biggest reasons for optimism:

(*) Ty Chandler is underrated as a Running Back; he's up in the top 5 RBs in the SEC
(*) Wide receiver corp is arguably the strongest in the East [the only argument would be with Georgia]
(*) JG is now a veteran and could be poised to take the next step
(*) Chaney will maximize the offense
(*) Defense will improve significantly in Year 2 as players won't have to think as much
(*) LBs will improve significantly after struggling last season
(*) DBs look much improved after we played true Freshmen last season

That said, the line issues are very big. While we brought in the best O-line class in the country, they're still true Freshmen in a league where true Freshmen O-linemen typically don't fare very well. For significantly improvement on O-line, we need the veteran guys (Niehaus, Tatum, Ryan Johnson, etc) to take a big step forward this year. They've bulked up and look more like SEC OL now, so that's good, but we still have a very young and inexperienced O-line overall.

D-line depth is a major issue, as well, and I'm not optimistic that Solomon is going to be declared eligible this season. Solomon would be an insta-starter at NT, but without him, that reduces our depth and makes NT a lot trickier. Savion Williams is promising, but he doesn't come in till the summer and hasn't played SEC-level ball before, so might take him a few games to get adjusted.

I'd be pretty happy with 7-5. If Pruitt went 9-3, he'd deserve to be coach of the year.

I think most likely we will win 8-9, maybe 7. Anything above or below will catch everyone off guard. Except PTSD negavols.

But as far as the O line is concerned, we returned everyone. Due to injuries, everyone has starts. They are much more experienced and could even be one of the big strengths.
All the sentiment is based off of last season and injuries to Kennedy, T Smith.

VN Store

Back