UT will be the most improved team in the SEC

Saw some Gator boards where a few, not many, but a few were trashing Steele like "he was a p**ssy for not just waiting til Summer to get his room moved" and I am thinking, dude, the damage was done by then and Steele had to feel a bit uneasy about how it all played out with his name in the police report.

Most were like you and saw the reality of this as not good .. regardless of the school being a rival, hate seeing a kid dealing with this, and hate it for the two girls caught in the middle of it all as well.

The assumption in your post is that he is transferring out due to that incident. Might be the case. But might not be and might be cover for another reason.

But we will see. As I say I am glad Mullen is not burying his head in the sand and pretending it doesn't look bad because it does.

The assumption in your post is that he is transferring out due to that incident. Might be the case. But might not be and might be cover for another reason.

But we will see. As I say I am glad Mullen is not burying his head in the sand and pretending it doesn't look bad because it does.
Well, based on everything that's out, it's hard to think it would be something else. Even seeing that parents wanted him home because of that as well .. none of use will ever know the entire truth I am sure but Steele said himself he had warned them about Jones as early as January.

But add to that two decommits in two days, the arrest of the other CB and the rumor mill abound regarding Zipperer and Black still not qualifying

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
Ga, Fl, Tn will be the top 3 teams in the East
Al, A&M, LSU will be top 3 teams in the West
Nobody goes undefeated in the SEC
Vols upset either Ga, Fl or the commies Al
Vols end year 10-3 with a bowl win which I've said since November of last year!
I also believe that alabummer is going to lose 3 football games next year!!

Improvement comes with Oline development.

Historically, the Oline has evolved at UT...
1) Extremely dominate... won a national championship.... 90s... happy times... once inside the 20, it was give him 6.
2) Lost a step, but were strong as brick sheit houses (remember?)... 6-7 wins tops and that was a good year.
3) Got weak and slower... been that way for 8 or more years... misery.
4) Present day... is the Oline ready to dominate??? I am not sure, so, 7 wins may be the limit.

This team and most in the SEC require a physical and dominate Oline... we have not had that in years and that to me is the bell weather for change in the Vols program.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vol Main and Remy
:rolleyes:

Lets say we go along for the ride with you on this one, although I can't possibly put that group up there with Bama's WRs, but let's say we somehow believe that 339 CAREER catches and 33 CAREER TDs is good for a group of SIX WRs, does any of that really matter when you have squat for an O-Line and One-Read Franks for a QB?

Ol’ “one-read Franks” threw for 24 TD’s against only 6 picks, and finished with a QB rating of 143.4. Franks was playing outstanding football by year’s end, excellent passing and a much-improved runner as well. Frank’s last 4 games, he accounted for 12 TD’s (8 passing/4 rushing) and threw 0 picks. He had an excellent spring, he’s going to have a huge year. Some of you are in denial regarding Franks’ improvement and ability. And you’re also forgetting Dan Mullen’s history with getting QB’s to reach and surpass their potential.

Regarding the o-line, this isn’t Muschamp or McElwain coaching staffs. Mullen and Hevesy will have the o-line ready to go. And if the o-line is a weakness, Mullen knows how to minimize that liability through play-calling and playing to strengths. I’m not convinced the o-line will be bad. The bodies are there, the size is there, experience is there at Center and LG. There is nothing to suggest Florida won’t be much-improved as a team, and they were very good last year. So improving on 10-3 could mean a big year.

Is

I think everyone except Florida fans would take Jerry Juedy over any receiver at Florida. Pretty sure he’s projected to be the top receiver taken in the draft.

Juedy is a stud, no doubt. Trevon Grimes will be a number one draft pick if he stays healthy, just watch. 6’5” with sub-4.5 speed and great hands. Van Jefferson will be a long-time NFL guy. Swain, Cleveland and Hammond will have their shot too, likely drafted in later rounds, depending on things like Combine results and Pro Days. Kadarius Toney is an electric college WR.

If you wanna take Bama over UF, I can’t argue that. But when someone suggests UF’s WR’s are behind UGA and Tennessee, that’s nonsense. Florida’s WR group is right there with anyone in the nation in terms of depth and talent. This is the best WR group at UF since Percy Harvin, Louis Murphy, Riley Cooper, Deonte Thompson and David Nelson were all on the same team.

Well, based on everything that's out, it's hard to think it would be something else. Even seeing that parents wanted him home because of that as well .. none of use will ever know the entire truth I am sure but Steele said himself he had warned them about Jones as early as January.

The whole Steele situation is not a good look for UF. But there is definitely more to the story. Steele was apparently homesick from the beginning, which happens often with California kids coming all the way to Florida. He was also being absolutely abused in practice by that stable of WR’s I’ve been telling everyone about. The practice video where Grimes destroyed him in the circle of life drill went viral, I’m sure that embarrassed Steele. He was showing flashes for sure, and would have been another great UF CB eventually, but it was a very rough spring for him. His body language in the spring game was awful.

Also, Steele was supposedly uneasy rooming with Jones, yet there are texts and other social media from Steele and Jones that suggested he was happy and content. There are social media posts from Steele’s Dad, even after the Jones situation, where he is praising Mullen and speaking of him in glowing terms. I think the roommate stuff was a convenient way out for a kid that missed being home and missed being the best player on the field by a mile. Hurts UF in the short term but will be totally forgotten when the next news cycle hits.

Last point, great CB’s grow on trees in Florida. There are dozens of quality DB’s, yearly. And UF has a history of getting great CB play from true freshmen, when needed; Janoris Jenkins, Joe Haden, Jalen Tabor, CJ Henderson, Marco Wilson, Trey Dean all started as true freshmen, among others. Florida will always be fine at CB/DB. But from a PR standpoint, the Steele situation is not a good look.

Juedy is a stud, no doubt. Trevon Grimes will be a number one draft pick if he stays healthy, just watch.

"Number one" or "first round"? I don't have a problem with hyping your boys, but try to be reasonable.

If you wanna take Bama over UF, I can’t argue that.

Of course you can't. And yet...

Florida’s WR group is right there with anyone in the nation in terms of depth and talent.

As we've discussed, no they aren't.

"Number one" or "first round"? I don't have a problem with hyping your boys, but try to be reasonable.

Of course you can't. And yet...

As we've discussed, no they aren't.

First rounder for Grimes.

Let me try to say it again. Florida’s WR group is among the best in the nation. I can say that and also think Bama has a helluva group of WR’s too. Both can and are true. It’s as if you’re trying to convince me that because Bama may be slightly better, then I should concede that UF has a subpar group. You keep touting Bama, but you’ve yet to acknowledge UF is 6-deep with proven SEC players. Shows me you’re not interested in a real assessment, rather you want to have everyone bow down at the altar of Bama. Florida doesn’t bow down. Florida was the last team not named Alabama to dominate this conference and they’ll be the next team not named Alabama to dominate the conference.

You keep yours, we’ll keep ours, and we’ll see how this all plays out.

Let me try to say it again. Florida’s WR group is among the best in the nation.

What is your criteria for "among the best"? Top 10? Top 20?

I can say that and also think Bama has a helluva group of WR’s too. Both can and are true.

They both can be true. Whether the are is the point of this discussion.

It’s as if you’re trying to convince me that because Bama may be slightly better, then I should concede that UF has a subpar group.

Slightly? Please. It's not an insult to UF's group to say they aren't in Bama's class. You talk about having a first rounder, which is great. Bama might have the first two receivers off the board next April.

You keep touting Bama, but you’ve yet to acknowledge UF is 6-deep with proven SEC players.

Let's take a straw poll.

For anyone reading: would you rather have Bama's top 4 returning receivers or UF's top 6? Assume that no one else on either team makes a catch next year.

Shows me you’re not interested in a real assessment, rather you want to have everyone bow down at the altar of Bama.

I've done nothing but deal in fact. The fact that you view that as insisting that "everyone bow down" should tell you something about the nature of your position. You touted UF's numbers, then when presented with Bama's far superior numbers you barely even acknowledged the disparity.[/QUOTE]

What is your criteria for "among the best"? Top 10? Top 20?

I've done nothing but deal in fact.... You touted UF's numbers, then when presented with Bama's far superior numbers you barely even acknowledged the disparity.

Criteria for “among the best” is returning production, as we’ve discussed. I cited UF returning 339 catches and 33 TD’s. By the way, 339 catches is far superior to your Bama 4, by over 100 catches. That is significant. You countered by saying the Bama 4 had more TD’s and more receiving yards, and I accepted that. So one group is deeper, has more receptions, the other has more TD’s and yardage. Those aren’t “far superior” stats. They’re both great stats for two great groups.

I’m not even sure how you got drawn in to a Bama v Florida thing. This started with me trying to explain to a UT fan that he was overlooking UF after making the ridiculous assertion that UF was behind Georgia and Tennessee in the East. I responded by citing the production returning for UF and saying not only is UF not behind anyone in the east, but they are among the best in the SEC and country. And I stand by that.

Maybe there are a bunch of teams returning 330+ catches and 30+ TD’s, along with Bama and Florida. Seems unlikely to me, but maybe so, if I had time to do the research I would.

Criteria for “among the best” is returning production, as we’ve discussed. I cited UF returning 339 catches and 33 TD’s. By the way, 339 catches is far superior to your Bama 4, by over 100 catches. That is significant. You countered by saying the Bama 4 had more TD’s and more receiving yards, and I accepted that. So one group is deeper, has more receptions, the other has more TD’s and yardage. Those aren’t “far superior” stats. They’re both great stats for two great groups.

I’m not even sure how you got drawn in to a Bama v Florida thing. This started with me trying to explain to a UT fan that he was overlooking UF after making the ridiculous assertion that UF was behind Georgia and Tennessee in the East. I responded by citing the production returning for UF and saying not only is UF not behind anyone in the east, but they are among the best in the SEC and country. And I stand by that.

Maybe there are a bunch of teams returning 330+ catches and 30+ TD’s, along with Bama and Florida. Seems unlikely to me, but maybe so, if I had time to do the research I would.

Vandy has 240 catches and 24 TDs returning. They ran the ball 50% of the time and were one of the worst offenses in the league. I am not sure 330/30 is all that meaningful today with all the wide open offenses.

Vandy has 240 catches and 24 TDs returning. They ran the ball 50% of the time and were one of the worst offenses in the league. I am not sure 330/30 is all that meaningful today with all the wide open offenses.

Good point on today’s offenses. I’m sure the Texas Tech’s and Oklahoma State’s, and Hawaii’s and Fresno State’s and Washington State’s of the world have guys returning with huge stats. But anyone wanting to go after possible UF weaknesses, go after the o-line and maybe, maybe, depth at safety. WR ain’t the spot.

And if 330 and 33 isn’t all that, I’ll wait for someone to show me a whole bunch of teams with more. Particularly teams who play real defenses in Power 5 conferences. Fresno State and Oklahoma State isn’t throwing for a million yards in the SEC every year.

Last edited:

Since we're also talking different classes/years, how about you we just compare last year's numbers? What has each guy done lately?

Since we're also talking different classes/years, how about you we just compare last year's numbers? What has each guy done lately?

Because I think career stats are more indicative of what a player has proven over time versus a one season snap shot. I think years with a program plays a factor too. Cleveland, Swain, Hammond and Jefferson are all entering their 4th year playing SEC football. Toney is entering his 3rd year. That experience matters, a lot. Grimes is entering his second year and looked freakishly good all spring and in the spring game.

Because I think career stats are more indicative of what a player has proven over time versus a one season snap shot. I think years with a program plays a factor too. Cleveland, Swain, Hammond and Jefferson are all entering their 4th year playing SEC football. Toney is entering his 3rd year. That experience matters, a lot. Grimes is entering his second year and looked freakishly good all spring and in the spring game.

Oh, so you're saying that Bama's guys (3 rising Jrs and a So) have racked up more yards and TDs despite being 4 guys vs 6 and having played fewer games on average? I suppose you're also going to mention that UF's players have caughts fewer balls per man and per game, thus making their total reception number purely a result of having more passes thrown to them on the whole?

Great point, Jaws.

Oh, so you're saying that Bama's guys (3 rising Jrs and a So) have racked up more yards and TDs despite being 4 guys vs 6 and having played fewer games on average? I suppose you're also going to mention that UF's players have caughts fewer balls per man and per game, thus making their total reception number purely a result of having more passes thrown to them on the whole?

Great point, Jaws.

So now you’re having a difficult time understanding the meaning of experience. Yes, experience means you’ve experienced more. 😂 You’ve played more, you’ve logged more snaps, you’ve seen more competition, you’ve played in different offenses, you’ve likely played in more stadiums, you’ve learned from mistakes, you’ve learned from more scenarios. That’s experience. And yes, you’ve caught more balls, had more thrown to you, and dropped more balls, and seen more coverages, and blocked more, and pissed in more lockerrooms, and ate more pregame meals and had additional years to lift more weights, run more, practice more. That may not matter to you, but it does to most.

And it seems you may be subtly shifting your point from “returning career production” to “who played in the more productive/explosive offense last year?!” That’s not the discussion. If you want it to be, don’t bother because everyone knows Bama wins that hands down. Although Dan Mullen will soon bring that back to Florida. In year 1, Mullen moved UF’s total offense to #30 nationally, an offense that has been mired at 100+ for a decade. Took Franks from 9 TD’s and 9 picks in 2017, to 31 and 6.

This will be a fun thread to revisit when UF and Bama meet in Atlanta in what will always be our championship game.

So now you’re having a difficult time understanding the meaning of experience. Yes, experience means you’ve experienced more. 😂 You’ve played more, you’ve logged more snaps, you’ve seen more competition, you’ve played in different offenses, you’ve likely played in more stadiums, you’ve learned from mistakes, you’ve learned from more scenarios. That’s experience. And yes, you’ve caught more balls, had more thrown to you, and dropped more balls, and seen more coverages, and blocked more, and pissed in more lockerrooms, and ate more pregame meals and had additional years to lift more weights, run more, practice more. That may not matter to you, but it does to most.

But for all those extra pre-game meals and piss breaks, they've managed to be less productive. Weird.

VN Store

Back