UT vs. LSU

IBleedOrange

i know LSU has all kinds of talent and is supposed to be really good but will they have some early season troubles :cross: with Les Miles being a first year coach in the SEC? i personally think it will be tougher to go into death valley and win than going into the swamp and winning there. but then again i know more about uf than i do about lsu. what do you guys think?

GO VOLS!!!!! :rock:

They've got a great run game, our front 7 will have to play tough. Passing game is an unknown, Russell (QB) is athletic and has talent but was inconsistent last year. If they get that going they'll be really tough. Fortunately, their strength plays into our strength (running game).

Their D is strong as well, and the crowd will be as racous as they come. Obviously the coaching change is a big variable. Miles did well at Okie State, they beat Oklahoma 2 years in a row, maybe '01 and '02, but I don't think many would say he's better than Saban. This game will be a real test.

LSU is loaded! But I think the Vols front 7 will have to dominate, stop the run and you stop LSU. Offense, play Tenn. football run, run, run, run, pass, run...etc(you know). To win in a place like Death Valley/The Swamp the Vols need to be HUNGRY! :realmad:

Originally posted by IBleedOrange@Aug 11, 2005 7:02 PM
i know LSU has all kinds of talent and is supposed to be really good but will they have some early season troubles :cross: with Les Miles being a first year coach in the SEC?  i personally think it will be tougher to go into death valley and win than going into the swamp and winning there.  but then again i know more about uf than i do about lsu.  what do you guys think?
GO VOLS!!!!! :rock:
[snapback]125706[/snapback]​

LSU has as much talent as anyone in the country, Southern Cal included, But I do think playing that game early only plays to UT's advantage. New coach, new QB, alot of question marks to answer in only a few short weeks before UT rolls in. Same thing with Florida....I would much rather play both of these games early than late in the year. The 2 things that concern me the most about the LSU game are 1) playing @ death valley and 2) Playing a week after what will more than likely be a very physically and mentally draining game @ FLA. Will our team have a bit of a letdown after such a tough game(win or lose)?

I don't think the new coach factor will be that big of an issue... He's already coached in a tough conference, in a division that rivals the SEC East in strength. I'd say he did pretty darned well in Stillwater considering which program was just across the way.

As far as LSU's talent goes, they look great in every area except QB, which is a question mark but may turn out fine. Alley Broussard and Joseph Addai are both studs, and the combination of them IMO represents a bigger threat than Riggs. As good as our front 7 are going to be, they will still have a heck of a game stopping LSU's run game. The pass game might be a bit tougher to stop though, but it all depends on how much support our DB's can get from the pass rush. JaMarcus Russell is talented but relatively inexperienced, and we will need to pressure the heck out of him. LSU has a pretty darned good offensive line as well.

As for us, scoring is gonna be pretty difficult. LSU's front 7 is nearly as good as our's, so our OL will have to hold up. Their DB's should rival our receivers, so I think we will see limited success on the pass. It should come down to Riggs establishing the run. He's gonna have a tough time burning LSU's defense, but if he can I think we got it. Then again, Auburn's defense last season was tougher than LSU's should be this season, and Riggs tore it up in the SECCG. So we will find out.

I still can't believe that if not for 3 failed PATs, Oregon State would have beaten LSU last year.

Me neither. That night was heartbreaking...

Not to mention that kicker, Alexis Serna, went on to be a semifinalist for the Lou Groza :blink:

After blowing one of the nation's biggest upset games in recent years.

QB position is far from solidified.

Russell looks either great or terrible at times
#1 RB is out
WR's are unproven, imo
New coach, New defense scheme

VN Store

Back