UT should be ashamed scheduling a team

I think CKH will schedule like CRB does and put together a very tough OOC schedule every year to ensure getting into the NCAA Tournament every season.

Missouri State getting paid to play these games they still do not have enough support not to take a lot of away games that put money into their program. Lucky for them they have the team this season that can win those games.

When you schedule, the circumstance may have been different

Consider Mizz St,,a decent RPI right now
We will probably schedule them as a favor to Coach K,
,,2 years later they could crash and look at our RPI playing against them, then

Although in this case, they were a "cupcake"

Besides ND the other schools we have played so far and including upcoming Air Force 🤷‍♂️ Seriously have maybe a 1% chance of winning and that’s the reason they are on the schedule. Let’s put this on Holly. Starting next season hopefully KJH actually challenges her players just a bit more. Why not Johnson Bible College I guess they must have insisted on UT playing on their court the next season. Maybe we could not afford the travel expenses.

Reactions: mcannon1
Besides ND the other schools we have played so far and including upcoming Air Force 🤷‍♂️ Seriously have maybe a 1% chance of winning and that’s the reason they are on the schedule. Let’s put this on Holly. Starting next season hopefully KJH actually challenges her players just a bit more. Why not Johnson Bible College I guess they must have insisted on UT playing on their court the next season. Maybe we could not afford the travel expenses.
DeerPark already explained all this. Go back and read the post.

She will try, but I don't know how successful she'll be. Can't just call up Maryland, Duke, etc. and force them to come on the schedule.

Tennessee has Notre Dame, UConn, Stanford and Texas on the non-confernece schedule. Go take a look at the other SEC teams' non-conference slate and find one that's better than that. Maybe South Carolina, but two of their best non-conference games are at a Thanksgiving tournament.

Some get it while some don't. For the "fans for life" who don't get it, Pat started this many years ago. Her goal was to put these teams in a spotlight that they would not have seen before. She wanted to lift women's baske tball to the highest level and help the lower level tems up by bringing them into the schedule. Her goal was to bring them to a bigger stage and help them evolve. I think it's worked quite nicely and hope we continue to help elevate the lower tier teams.

Show me any teams schedule that doesn't have four or five or even more than that cupcakes on their schedule. I'll wait. It has been happening for years and will be happening forever. That is not only in women's basketball that is in men's as well. Sometimes the cupcake wins just ask the Duke men's team. When you line up Tennessee's schedule you see that at least 9 teams on the schedule were pre-season top 25 teams. Some arent's now but who knows that when you make out a schedule. Top 25 teams that we were scheduled to play at beginning of season Notre Dame, Texas, Stanford, UConn, Kentucky, Sc, Miss St, Texas A&M, and Arkansas, UConn is playing 8 because when you get into their conference schedule you have only one.

Show me any teams schedule that doesn't have four or five or even more than that cupcakes on their schedule. I'll wait. It has been happening for years and will be happening forever. That is not only in women's basketball that is in men's as well. Sometimes the cupcake wins just ask the Duke men's team. When you line up Tennessee's schedule you see that at least 9 teams on the schedule were pre-season top 25 teams. Some arent's now but who knows that when you make out a schedule. Top 25 teams that we were scheduled to play at beginning of season Notre Dame, Texas, Stanford, UConn, Kentucky, Sc, Miss St, Texas A&M, and Arkansas, UConn is playing 8 because when you get into their conference schedule you have only one.

And they lost yesterday (UConn’s ranked team in conference aka USF)

Last edited:
Reactions: Volfaninfl2
There are lots of small schools with good programs that would come here and play such as S. Dakota St, Drake, Dayton. And many others that would not require a home and home to play. Yet we seem to schedule the ones who are coming off the year before going 5-25. For those who defend this “we are back” 🤷‍♂️

There is more parody in the men’s game so more likely a chance of an upset but not on the women’s side. If you schedule a small school it’s because you are looking for a glorified scrimmage that counts. Nothing wrong with a couple but 4-5 is just ridiculous. Hopefully with KJH’s relationships with mid major teams she can bring these teams in.

There is more parody in the men’s game so more likely a chance of an upset but not on the women’s side. If you schedule a small school it’s because you are looking for a glorified scrimmage that counts. Nothing wrong with a couple but 4-5 is just ridiculous. Hopefully with KJH’s relationships with mid major teams she can bring these teams in.
Parody definition is - a literary or musical work in which the style of an author or work is closely imitated for comic effect or in ridicule. How to use parody in a sentence. Synonym Discussion of parody.

There are lots of small schools with good programs that would come here and play such as S. Dakota St, Drake, Dayton. And many others that would not require a home and home to play. Yet we seem to schedule the ones who are coming off the year before going 5-25. For those who defend this “we are back” 🤷‍♂️

Ya know for sure they would come here ? How do we know other people don’t have them on their schedules booked out as far as their athletic programs would let them? If you have insider knowledge or leverage I say get them scheduled because I would love to see some of these teams.

How is this getting mixed into the “we are back” crowd (which I am NOT apart of I am enjoying this team but have very realistic expectations that we will experience growing pains but we will learn to do things the right way).

I also did a little research their is a young lady who is a senior on the Air Force program that you mentioned. She is from Tennessee and probably is stoked to get to play on the Summitt for her senior year before she does her tour of duty.

You got me curious.... so we all know Portland state was scheduled for Evina so that was where one game came from. ETSU is in the state along with TN state. There are always usually state games on a power 5 schools schedule because it’s a bus trip for the other team and easy to schedule so that’s 3 out of conference games.

Air Force has a TN senior so maybe that had to do with scheduling?

But then I looked at Colorado State which was (8-22) last year YIKES! However when you look at their results the three seasons before that (2017-18 they were 21-12 and second round WNIT) (2016-17 ...25-9 2nd round WNIT second round) (2015-16 ... 31-2 NCAA tourney) and multiple winning seasons before that. This seems like a respectable opponent to play but if you just look at their last year record it wouldn’t seem that way

Last edited:
Some are saying it’s ok to have 4-5 of these schools on the schedule it’s good for the team to pummel a team by 40-50 but look we have 9. ETSU, C. Ark, Tn St. Stetson. Pine Bluff, AirForce, Co St, Portland St, Howard seriously. But again this is on the previous staff hopefully this strategy changes. But maybe these type games make our fan base feel good. 🤷‍♂️

Will continue to be four or five or more just like everybody else. The reason has already been given in several other posts to get the home game total up without having to play on the road in return. All teams in Division one conferences are considered either in a Major Conference or a Mid Major Conference. Arkansas Pine Bluff Mid Major playing in the Southwestern Athletic Conference. The next opponent Air Force Mid Major plays in the Mountain West. Every team on this page plays in either a MId Major of Major Conference. 2019-20 Women's College Basketball Standings | ESPN We don't play division two teams.

Some are saying it’s ok to have 4-5 of these schools on the schedule it’s good for the team to pummel a team by 40-50 but look we have 9. ETSU, C. Ark, Tn St. Stetson. Pine Bluff, AirForce, Co St, Portland St, Howard seriously. But again this is on the previous staff hopefully this strategy changes. But maybe these type games make our fan base feel good. 🤷‍♂️

You don’t feel good? Didn’t have a good thanksgiving bud? I hope it gets better 😃

Oh it’s been great so far thank you I have never had this many cupcakes and looks like many more coming🤣 🧁

Isn’t it a great taste? so good 😃😃😃 mmm mmm!

Hope they don’t make us choke on the way down like Duke and Kentucky or even ask USF about their most recent loss. Take a team for granted if you want ... 😂

Here are some upset possibilities for today.

Northern Iowa vs Alabama Big chance Alabama will lose
Butler vs Georgia I would call this a tossup at best.
Notre Dame vs South Dakota State I think Notre Dame loses here.
Auburn vs Middle Tennessee will be a close game
Louisville vs Oklahoma St gonna be a good one
Pennsylvania vs Duke another close game
South Florida vs Florida Gulf Coast tossup
Texas vs North Carolina State State should win but have interest in this one
Arkansas Pine Bluff vs Iowa State just want to know the score.
Washington State vs South Carolina expect SC to win but could be closer than expected
Syracuse vs Stanford a game I would like to see

We could see some Mid Majors win today.

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Here are some upset possibilities for today.

Northern Iowa vs Alabama Big chance Alabama will lose
Butler vs Georgia I would call this a tossup at best.
Notre Dame vs South Dakota State I think Notre Dame loses here.
Auburn vs Middle Tennessee will be a close game
Louisville vs Oklahoma St gonna be a good one
Pennsylvania vs Duke another close game
South Florida vs Florida Gulf Coast tossup
Texas vs North Carolina State State should win but have interest in this one
Arkansas Pine Bluff vs Iowa State just want to know the score.
Washington State vs South Carolina expect SC to win but could be closer than expected
Syracuse vs Stanford a game I would like to see

We could see some Mid Majors win today.
I see some schools on that list N Iowa, FGC, USF, MTSU and S Dak St that looks like are not scared to play the bigger schools. Hopefully someone can get them on our schedule in the next couple years.

I see some schools on that list N Iowa, FGC, USF, MTSU and S Dak St that looks like are not scared to play the bigger schools. Hopefully someone can get them on our schedule in the next couple years.

😂

Like APB!

Its embarrassing and is doing nobody any good playing a team of this caliber.
All we are doing is risking injury.

Scheduling teams like Arkansas-Pine Bluff allows programs of that caliper to fund their entire season. It may not be the most intriguing match-up, but you never know with collegiate sports--see Stephen F. Austin's upset of Duke. Stop complaining. Embrace the holiday spirit and be thankful that all of UT's sports are on an upward trajectory!

Every team has a cupcake team that they truck on there schedule. Pat never made it about the team they played and she challenged the team to just play their game. Many times she had goals for her team to get a certain amount of rebounds or we need to beat this team by 40 . That way the team stayed focused on their goals to win a championship.

Scheduling teams like Arkansas-Pine Bluff allows programs of that caliper to fund their entire season. It may not be the most intriguing match-up, but you never know with collegiate sports--see Stephen F. Austin's upset of Duke. Stop complaining. Embrace the holiday spirit and be thankful that all of UT's sports are on an upward trajectory!
It’s not our responsibility to fund 9 small schools entire season.

VN Store

Back