UT paying Kevin Steele $450,000/year

I thought the UTAD was funded though donations, TV revenue, merchandising, etc. Not from taxes.

Fair point. Fulmer is still employed by the University of Tennessee and has a fiduciary duty to the University, which is funded by taxpayers. If there was a default on a loan or in years like 2020 with the revenue hit, the University would cover the shortfall. If we had a Michigan State gymnastics or Penn State legal incident that occurred in the athletic department, the university would be liable.

Fine. I'll ask

Tell me about your feats.

Just one.
For example i was in Thailand about 7 years ago, and these 3 guys tried to rob me. Little guys. I used an Art of War tactic.
- I ran away upon being threatened. The lead one separated from his compadres too fast. I quickly turned around and attacked. One hitta quitta. The other 2 saw their buddy splayed out and it distracted them. I hit one with a right hook to the temple. He went blind. The other one tried to slice me, but dodged him. I ended up with the knife anyway. ...

Hey man don't let these people get to you. 😊.

Impressive, reminds me about the time when me and my wife were attending a Christmas party at a high rise office building in LA when a bunch of terrorists stormed the place...

Why didn't we pay him the Butch rate of $35K and let the barn pick up the balance?
Bama offers much more than money which offsets their salary. Work with and gain insight to the machine, coaching 5 stars everywhere, be part of a national championship, work for the greatest college in the game's history, coach rehab.

We cannot offer any of those things.

Bama offers much more than money which offsets their salary. Work with and gain insight to the machine, coaching 5 stars everywhere, be part of a national championship, work for the greatest college in the game's history, coach rehab.

True, but we coulda paid him $250K, $300K, or $400K since whatever he makes from us will reduce his buyout from Auburn. It will be nice from a tax perspective for him being a TN resident the next 2 years while receiving the buyout from Auburn...

I suspect no one on here has studied Steele’s contract with Auburn...I know I haven’t. But, it likely contains language related to the buyout that discourages him from accepting positions for less than the prevailing salary for the position and his experience.

Butch was an analyst and was limited by NCAA in what he could do with players. If we want Steele to coach, we have to give him the title and pay the salary.

This is a good hire and a good value...I don’t understand the hate.

Thanks for straightening me out, cuz we all know Bama's all about keeping the rules..lol. Fact is, Tn paid Bitch's salary while he was there and Saban laughed about it. We, on the other hand, ARE STUPID!!
Butch's salary paid for cigars.

I don’t get all the complaining. Sure we might have been able to hire him for a little less money but we still got a bargain for that caliber of coach who can have an immediate impact on a position that was one of our weakest last season. You all are the same people who shout that we need to stop hiring dollar store coaches and the second we do the opposite you whine that we could have gotten him cheaper lol.

Reactions: 91Vol
The UTAD is in the financial position they are in today because of this thought process. They have the lowest athletic department revenue growth since 2007 of any school in the SEC (by a pretty wide margin).

Personally, as a % of my income, I contribute far less today than 2007. Judging by the financial statements, I'm not the only one. The continued mismanagement of the UTAD and the subpar product is what's causing that. You can see it when comparing the revenue growth to other SEC schools.

Like most factoids shared one of yours can viewed 180 degrees out of your intended meaning. It would appear that as established by lots of detractors, that the football program trumps the sum of all other sports when it comes to performance, and that the decline started right after we fired CPF from the HC position. So the powers up there may be committed to let him try and turn this around even though he did not make a silk purse out the the sows ear they took from Currie and handed him. It is unlikely that CPF or Pruitt made the Steele hire without consultation with the balance of the folks involved with the current decision making on all things coaching. I don't read this tipping off the findings either way. To commit to a plan without the facts outside your control would be something all the previous AD's might have done. I am glad we have not gone down that road. Those findings are key to our future probably important to better candidates analysis as well. I rule out nothing once the NCAA starts digging. It is always possible some of our coaches thought they could push the envelope like Freeze did.

But we have Gatlinburg nearby.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
We didn't pay anything the university did. Stop complaining about someone's money that's not yours.
The athletic department is paying him, which is our money through donations, ticket purchases, etc. Yes big donors give more than I do but how do you think they made money? By not overpaying. Auburn is still paying Steele. Anything we pay is deducted from what Auburn pays him so Steele is not making more money no matter what we pay. Why not pay him $10,000 for example? Maybe there is a minimum we can pay him but I would like to know what that is and how we got to $450,000. Seems like we could have paid a lot less and Steele would be making the exact same amount.

The athletic department is paying him, which is our money through donations, ticket purchases, etc. Yes big donors give more than I do but how do you think they made money? By not overpaying. Auburn is still paying Steele. Anything we pay is deducted from what Auburn pays him so Steele is not making more money no matter what we pay. Why not pay him $10,000 for example? Maybe there is a minimum we can pay him but I would like to know what that is and how we got to $450,000. Seems like we could have paid a lot less and Steele would be making the exact same amount.

1/3 of P5 assistants (not coordinators) make $300K or less.

Steele is technically going to "make more" by working in TN for tax purposes the next 2 years while collecting buyout from Auburn.

The $450k isn't that big of a deal, it's the 2 year contract that is absolutely stupid.

The $450k isn't that big of a deal, it's the 2 year contract that is absolutely stupid.
Why?
It's obvious he's our next coach. He'll be here at least 4 years before we start the process over again.

VN Store

Back