UT lands 6th in SEC SOS

This is one of Bama's worst schedules in a while. Last year was bad, but yeesh. Several reasons:

1. Couldn't find anyone to play in the Chick-Fil-A Kickoff; got stuck with Duke
2. Got South Carolina in the rotation
3. Bama's permanent cross-division opponent was the worst in the East last year
4. Bama never plays Bama; it's not a coincidence that 7 of the top 8 SOS all feature games with Bama
Agree on 2-4. Can’t help you on #1, it’s 100 on you to schedule better OOC. No one forced you to go neutral (again), CFB does actually allow you to play in someone else’s stadium. Man up and schedule CU, OK, TX, etc home and home like the big boys are doing.

It gets a bit more difficult in 2020. Most of the dates haven't been set yet

Charlotte
@Oklahoma
Furman
Troy
@Arkansas
@Georgia
@South Carolina
Alabama
Florida
Kentucky
Missouri
Vanderbilt

Idk why we don't schedule Memphis every year. Ole Miss has them this year, and most years. Memphis wins enough games to help our SOS, allows us to play another "road" game where we would have more fans (looking at you Vandy) and it gets us in front of our West Tn fans and recruits. Makes NO sense not to have this be a yearly game. But by all means, bring on Charlotte!

Reactions: Tennesseefan2019
Agree on 2-4. Can’t help you on #1, it’s 100 on you to schedule better OOC. No one forced you to go neutral (again), CFB does actually allow you to play in someone else’s stadium. Man up and schedule CU, OK, TX, etc home and home like the big boys are doing.

Bama has home-and-homes with Texas and Notre Dame booked in the coming years.

Regardless, Bama hadn't previously had trouble with these neutral site games (and we've got Miami and USC in the next couple of years). And the CFA folks love having Bama in their game because the tickets disappear. But it just didn't happen this year. I've heard that Texas was almost booked but backed out. Then NC State was almost officially announced and then backed out. By then we're talking less than 3 years removed and there was no time to schedule anything else. Duke had an opening and wanted the payday.

Corn bread?
All of those are true, but the creme de la creme is even better. I’m not gonna reveal it now, I’ll let the Bama/UT FAN wonder bc I know he’s stalking these posts.

I will say they are two words that are guaranteed to get a Bama fan all up in arms and defensive, despite the fact they have paid for and owned most of CFB for the better part of a decade

Idk why we don't schedule Memphis every year. Ole Miss has them this year, and most years. Memphis wins enough games to help our SOS, allows us to play another "road" game where we would have more fans (looking at you Vandy) and it gets us in front of our West Tn fans and recruits. Makes NO sense not to have this be a yearly game. But by all means, bring on Charlotte!

Because Memphis is dumb enough to think the economics of a home and home is the same in football and basketball...

I’m with you on one thing. I don’t think the playoff should expand. The goal wasn’t to get every P5 champ in the playoff or to let everyone in that could possibly win it. The playoff started to make sure if more than 2 teams earned it on the field that those teams that earned it would get a shot. Basically, it started to avoid the arguments between teams 2 and 3, not between teams 4 and 5 as there aren’t 5+ teams who have earned a shot in any year based on SOS, record, and whatever else you want to consider. The debates this century like Auburn in 2004 and Bama or OK State come to mind. No one outside of Columbus cares that an Ohio St team that lost by 30 to Iowa didn’t make it so why expand to let them in?

I think we should expand to 8 so we can get at least 5 SEC teams in the playoffs.

Bama has home-and-homes with Texas and Notre Dame booked in the coming years.

Regardless, Bama hadn't previously had trouble with these neutral site games (and we've got Miami and USC in the next couple of years). And the CFA folks love having Bama in their game because the tickets disappear. But it just didn't happen this year. I've heard that Texas was almost booked but backed out. Then NC State was almost officially announced and then backed out. By then we're talking less than 3 years removed and there was no time to schedule anything else. Duke had an opening and wanted the payday.
Will agree that anything within 4-5 years is pretty much booked.

Imagine this schedule in back to back years. And we can’t get Fla to even leave the state, scheduling UCF and USF then claiming they are scheduling tough.
  • 09/02 – at Texas
  • 09/16 – Florida State
  • 11/25 – Georgia Tech
  • 09/01 – Texas
  • 09/15 – at Clemson
  • 11/24 – at Georgia Tech

I think we should expand to 8 so we can get at least 5 SEC teams in the playoffs.
Well if that is the result then I’d be ok with that. More SEC football is never a bad thing! Maybe then we would see matchups like A&M vs UGA more than once a decade. I’m looking forward to that game for sure.

Speaking of those 2 teams, there is no way UGA’s schedule is tougher than A&M’s. The Aggies go to LSU, to Clemson, to UGA, and get Bama at home. UGA plays ND at home, Florida in Jax, A&M at home, and at Auburn. UGA doesn’t have 3 patsies like A&M but they have 2 and that doesn’t make up for that massive difference in the 4 toughest games.

Reactions: HuntlandVolinColo
I was about to tell both of you to go back to your own Bama message board, until I saw your usernames. Smdh.

What did I type that makes you sydh?

Playing Auburn, LSU, aTm, Ark, Ole Miss, Miss St., USC plus Duke vs. UF, UGA, Mizzou, UK, Vandy, USC, Miss. St., plus BYU.

Given those 2 schedules, I would take UT's schedule.

Here's the 2021 Tennessee football schedule. The dates haven't been set and there is space left to play an FCS or mid major team on the schedule.

Bowling Green
Pitt
South Alabama
@Alabama
@Florida
@kentucky
@Missouri
Georgia
Ole Miss
South Carolina
Vanderbilt

Reactions: MAD