UT lands 6th in SEC SOS

I've never visited a Bama football fan site or the #1 dating site in Alabama (ancestry.com). Are the Bama football sites that boring or did the Clemson ass-kicking liven them up?

It's way too nice a day for all this sniping. You're alright by me.

High five, Mojo...

intheface.0.gif

This is one of Bama's worst schedules in a while. Last year was bad, but yeesh. Several reasons:

1. Couldn't find anyone to play in the Chick-Fil-A Kickoff; got stuck with Duke
2. Got South Carolina in the rotation
3. Bama's permanent cross-division opponent was the worst in the East last year
4. Bama never plays Bama; it's not a coincidence that 7 of the top 8 SOS all feature games with Bama

Lets be honest here. The real reason is because their non-conference schedule in addition to Duke consists of Western Carolina (3-8), New Mexico State (3-9) and Southern Mississippi (6-5).

Reactions: DaddyChad
No thanks. The semifinals mostly suck as it is.
I’m with you on one thing. I don’t think the playoff should expand. The goal wasn’t to get every P5 champ in the playoff or to let everyone in that could possibly win it. The playoff started to make sure if more than 2 teams earned it on the field that those teams that earned it would get a shot. Basically, it started to avoid the arguments between teams 2 and 3, not between teams 4 and 5 as there aren’t 5+ teams who have earned a shot in any year based on SOS, record, and whatever else you want to consider. The debates this century like Auburn in 2004 and Bama or OK State come to mind. No one outside of Columbus cares that an Ohio St team that lost by 30 to Iowa didn’t make it so why expand to let them in?

Lets be honest here. The real reason is because their non-conference schedule in addition to Duke consists of Western Carolina (3-8), New Mexico State (3-9) and Southern Mississippi (6-5).

Bama typically plays 3 canon fodder teams each year and yet they don't typically rank this poorly in SOS.

Reactions: 08Vol
I’m with you on one thing. I don’t think the playoff should expand. The goal wasn’t to get every P5 champ in the playoff or to let everyone in that could possibly win it. The playoff started to make sure if more than 2 teams earned it on the field that those teams that earned it would get a shot. Basically, it started to avoid the arguments between teams 2 and 3, not between teams 4 and 5 as there aren’t 5+ teams who have earned a shot in any year based on SOS, record, and whatever else you want to consider. The debates this century like Auburn in 2004 and Bama or OK State come to mind. No one outside of Columbus cares that an Ohio St team that lost by 30 to Iowa didn’t make it so why expand to let them in?

It'll work itself out eventually. The Big XII is ultimately going to fold, and we'll be left with 4 conferences. Put the 4 champs in the playoff, and those that want to see 8 teams will get a de facto quarterfinal with the conference title games. It's the best possible scenario.

This is one of Bama's worst schedules in a while. Last year was bad, but yeesh. Several reasons:

1. Couldn't find anyone to play in the Chick-Fil-A Kickoff; got stuck with Duke
2. Got South Carolina in the rotation
3. Bama's permanent cross-division opponent was the worst in the East last year
4. Bama never plays Bama; it's not a coincidence that 7 of the top 8 SOS all feature games with Bama

You omitted the most important reasons: (1) Harvey Updyke U's sched includes the two worst teams in the SEC last year, Arkansas and Ole Miss, and (2) Harvey Updyke U's non conference sched includes its traditional fare of mostly lightweight G5 and FCS opponents. So, above post is another writing fail.

In all honesty, it sucks posting on an opposing fan site when you've had their number for a decade. I can't imagine what it must be like to do it 20,000 times...
Honestly what kind of reply did you expect when you are basically saying "well we sure as hell can't beat you so can't wait to watch Clemson beat you instead. Take that!" You put the ball on the tee for him.

Reactions: bamawriter
You omitted the most important reasons: (1) Harvey Updyke U's sched includes the two worst teams in the SEC last year, Arkansas and Ole Miss,

While Arkansas and Ole Miss don't help Bama's SOS, they aren't enough to sink it compared to everyone else. The rest of the West also gets those teams and they are ranked 3, 7, 8, & 11. But A&M gets USCe and UGA (combined 18-9), LSU gets Florida and Vandy (16-10), MSU gets Kentucky and Tennessee (15-10), Auburn gets UGA and Florida (21-6) while Bama gets USCe and UT (12-13). The only way Bama's SOS from the East could have been worse is if they got Vandy instead of USCe, and that would have only made for a one game swing.

and (2) Harvey Updyke U's non conference sched includes its traditional fare of mostly lightweight G5 and FCS opponents. So, above post is another writing fail.

Bama usually plays a top team to kick off every season. But, because Bama typically demolishes those opponents, no one wants to schedule those games. Getting stuck with Duke sucks, but it's not for lack of trying to find a better matchup. Outside of that, Bama has played Florida State x2, Clemson, Virginia Tech x2, Penn St x2, Michigan, West Virginia, Wisconsin, USC, and Louisville. There are very few teams, if any, that have scheduled that well over the past dozen years.

It's pretty entertaining, actually.
If everyone thinks VOL fans are crazy and delusional, wait until Saban retires, and the replacement only wins 8-9 games in any given year....they don't even have to go to the depths of dysfunction that UT has...just Auburn level will be enough to bring out he pitch forks and mattress burning. It will happen...hopefully sooner than later...and all things will be right with the college football universe. That, and Paul Finebaum show immediately becomes must watch tv.

Honestly what kind of reply did you expect when you are basically saying "well we sure as hell can't beat you so can't wait to watch Clemson beat you instead. Take that!" You put the ball on the tee for him.

He had a couple good comebacks to a couple of my quips and I rewarded him with a like. He did lob me a softball with the High Five gif.....

Kinda hard to do much friendly smack talking with our record the past decade...

Reactions: BeardedVol
Look who is last...

But wait.......but wait......where are the Tennessee fans who are loud and proud because we always play the toughest schedule in the country every single year. Not kidding, it’s as though some guys don’t care what our record is, but they wear our tough schedule as some sort of badge of honor.

I wish we were literally playing the weakest schedule in the SEC, maybe the country so we could win a lot of games this year and get this rebuild kick started.

VN Store

Back