UT has 12th most talented roster in nation

UGA can't win, because will be the QB first year with the OC so they are eliminated by natural football knowledge, I read it here on Volnation. Same thing JG had to go through with Chaney , JG will ball out this year, 2nd year with OC.

Had JG been surrounded by elite talent his entire career, his performances would have been much better. However th Oline was nowhere near elite level his first two years here and to argue otherwise shows a lack of football understanding.

Due to the o lines expected inprovement and hopefully some WRs who have elite level speed and ability coupled with a 2nd year with the same OC, JGs performances should improve this year.

Probably because they've beaten both UGA & Bama (twice) fairly recently.

Huh? These are based off the recruiting rankings for our roster and according to the OP when he posted September 8th, Auburn was 13th and we were 12. If you check them now, we are 13 and Auburn 12.

Huh? These are based off the recruiting rankings for our roster and according to the OP when he posted September 8th, Auburn was 13th and we were 12. If you check them now, we are 13 and Auburn 12.

Sorry about that. I forgot the discussion was about subjective rankings vs. what actually has transpired in reality.

Reactions: 08Vol and Vol8188
GA fan brings info saying look GA is #1 and TN is 12, but you're ahead of Auburn and FL. And TN fans can't wait to tell him we're not that good.

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
I can’t wait until we are calling for Pruitts head since he can’t get passed 10 wins. It will be the same group as now, no matter how much they say, “I’ll be happy with a ten win season.”

So, by my *completely arbitrary* talent tier system, in which no team in a tier is more than 50 points below the leader of that tier, we have 5 talent tiers:

Tier A

Georgia- 1013
Bama- 1011
LSU-958

Tier B

Texas A&M- 895
Tennessee- 880
Auburn-876
Florida- 855

Tier C

South Carolina- 800
MSU-794
Arkansas-753

Tier D

Ole Miss- 745
Kentucky- 734

Tier E

Missouri- 643
Vanderbilt-627

It's also sick that 81 of Georgia's 85 recruited scholarship players, and all 85 of Bama's, are either 4 or 5 stars.
I don’t think that’s the case. UGA had 6 3*’s, including a kicker, in their 2020 class alone.

QB is still the most important position on a football team. I know, Kentucky played with a WR at that position and won a lot of games, however, that QB is an exceptional athlete and made them a very good offensive football team. Having a very good OL made it work.
Depends on the offense. I seriously doubt anyone would suggest Fromm was the most important player on UGA’s 2017 offense or any of the Bama QB’s during Saban’s bully ball days. I agree the QB is the most important in any modern offense though.

Depends on the offense. I seriously doubt anyone would suggest Fromm was the most important player on UGA’s 2017 offense or any of the Bama QB’s during Saban’s bully ball days. I agree the QB is the most important in any modern offense though.
Atlanta, I do think Fromm was the most important player on UGA's 2017 offense. Not the best. But the most important. Same for every QB who played for Saban.

The QB always is.

No other position handles the ball every single down. The center touches the ball every down, sure, but it's a quick snap and gone. Same basic motion every time. No decisions required normally, just muscle memory.

The QB, though, receives the ball from center, then...does something with it. Often, what he does with it isn't decided in advance, the QB is making split-second decisions. And even if there's no option built into the play, the QB still has to react to conditions, adapt and adjust based on what he sees, hears, and feels going on around him. All while holding that inflated piece of leather. If he hands it off quickly to a running back, sure, he didn't do a whole lot more than the center, but contrast that to a pass play.

And beyond all that, beyond the fact that he handles the ball every single play, so has the greatest direct impact on success or failure moving the ball forward, he is also almost always the one leading the other 10 lads. Directing them. Calling plays. Adjusting those plays based on the defensive front. Reminding his fellows what they're supposed to be doing, fairly often. Managing the play clock. AND the game clock. Communicating with the sideline.

All of this has been true since snaps stopped going to tailbacks and started going to quarterbacks instead. The past 70 years, or so.

Yep, most important position player on the offense. Pretty much always. By design.

Reactions: LittleVol and 1vol8
Fromm was fortunate to have a great supporting cast. He did not have to struggle because he was able to under less pressure than most QBs. With the talents he had around him, he should have won a Natty. The position is still the most important; he just was unable to use it as it should have been used. Many posters on this board still are afraid that our Vols will/ have not progressed more because of the QB play. Some think we lost the first 2 games last year because of poor play at the QB position. Kentucky would have likely won more games last year, including Tennessee, with a QB who could also throw the football. Remember the QB touches the football on almost every play and the success or failure of each play often depends on the play of the QB. There is a reason why the QB position in the NFL is almost always the highest paid position on every team.

Had JG been surrounded by elite talent his entire career, his performances would have been much better. However th Oline was nowhere near elite level his first two years here and to argue otherwise shows a lack of football understanding.

Due to the o lines expected inprovement and hopefully some WRs who have elite level speed and ability coupled with a 2nd year with the same OC, JGs performances should improve this year.

JG had receivers deep with a couple yards on their corners against GA State and he kept dumping it off short. He can’t consistently hit the long ball unless the receiver has turned around for a jump ball.

Fromm was fortunate to have a great supporting cast. He did not have to struggle because he was able to under less pressure than most QBs. With the talents he had around him, he should have won a Natty. The position is still the most important; he just was unable to use it as it should have been used. Many posters on this board still are afraid that our Vols will/ have not progressed more because of the QB play. Some think we lost the first 2 games last year because of poor play at the QB position. Kentucky would have likely won more games last year, including Tennessee, with a QB who could also throw the football. Remember the QB touches the football on almost every play and the success or failure of each play often depends on the play of the QB. There is a reason why the QB position in the NFL is almost always the highest paid position on every team.
Fromm wasn’t the one that gave up a blown coverage in OT. Fromm clearly wasn’t the cornerstone of that 2017 team. Chubb and Michel were easily the most important players along with the OL. It could be argued Fromm was the most important in 2018, but certainly not 2017. I think that offense isn’t as efficient as offenses that lean on talented QB’s, but if you have 2 first round pick senior RB’s and a good OL, it makes sense to lean on them.

Atlanta, I do think Fromm was the most important player on UGA's 2017 offense. Not the best. But the most important. Same for every QB who played for Saban.

The QB always is.

No other position handles the ball every single down. The center touches the ball every down, sure, but it's a quick snap and gone. Same basic motion every time. No decisions required normally, just muscle memory.

The QB, though, receives the ball from center, then...does something with it. Often, what he does with it isn't decided in advance, the QB is making split-second decisions. And even if there's no option built into the play, the QB still has to react to conditions, adapt and adjust based on what he sees, hears, and feels going on around him. All while holding that inflated piece of leather. If he hands it off quickly to a running back, sure, he didn't do a whole lot more than the center, but contrast that to a pass play.

And beyond all that, beyond the fact that he handles the ball every single play, so has the greatest direct impact on success or failure moving the ball forward, he is also almost always the one leading the other 10 lads. Directing them. Calling plays. Adjusting those plays based on the defensive front. Reminding his fellows what they're supposed to be doing, fairly often. Managing the play clock. AND the game clock. Communicating with the sideline.

All of this has been true since snaps stopped going to tailbacks and started going to quarterbacks instead. The past 70 years, or so.

Yep, most important position player on the offense. Pretty much always. By design.
Idk. If you look at any of the big games for UGA in 2017 Chubb or Michel carried the team. Did they need Fromm to make plays? Of course they did, but not as much as Chubb and Michel. The OU game is a good example. While Fromm did lead a 2 crucial drives, Chubb and Michel carried the load and were averaging over 10 ypc. If you remove Chubb/Michel from that team, they maybe win 9 games due to the weak East and lose the SECC. If you replace Fromm, they were still a playoff team. UGA and it’s archaic offenses also adds their Herschel years to back up my argument.

I’m not in any way saying a team should be like that. Talented QB’s can take a team a lot further, especially in today’s game where passing offenses travel better than defenses. Cam and Burrow are good examples of certain QB’s can just carry a team to a championship. It’s much more efficient to build around elite QB’s and it seems like everyone has figured that out, with the exception of maybe UGA and Wisconsin. Imo those bully ball type of schemes centered around clock control and defense died for good when Saban left it. Saban perfected and I think it’s clear he left it for a reason.

Last edited:
Reactions: VFL-82-JP

VN Store

Back