UT didn't recruit a top DT this season

Shaw has moved to the OL.

I thought I had heard that one of the 2 between Nelson and Thomas would be moving back to DE.

Reports are that Brown is up to about 285 and could be a swing type guy as I think he would rather stay at DE.

I think we are going to be better up front this coming year. Mapu will fill in for Turk IMO and has the potential to be better bc he is physically bigger. Bolden IMO really started to come on so if he can continue to improve he could be the next great one. Williams got some good snaps in the bowl game and I expect him to be better than MM. WF is a bit of a mystery bc he is having shoulder surgery and thus cant really add the weight that he needs. I would have loved for him to be healthy bc I think he could have been a difference maker.

That leaves really 1 spot open for Langley, or one of the 2 FR from last year to help out. I personally think Langley with the spring practice and time in the strength and conditioning program will help out this fall. He just has a natural motor and that will serve him well.

I am not so sure the DT play will be our problem but rather can we find someone to get after the passer at DE.

I am not so sure the DT play will be our problem but rather can we find someone to get after the passer at DE.

yeah, UT had hardly any sacks last year.. With all our speed and athleticism at DE we should be near the top in the SEC in sacks.. Xman is going to be another stud, but along with R. Ayers, A. Reynolds, those 3 will be the main DE's.. I think we should see drastic improvement with our DE's getting to the passer..

Last year we were undersized. Look for Fisher and Brown to both put on significant weight and move to the inside. Mapu and Bolden will start, Fisher and Brown will back them up. Dan Williams will also be in the mix.

If the coaches were as concerned about depth as the fans they would have kept Richard at DT.

I think its more quality over quantity.

The defensive line and the defensive tackle position need improvement over last year. The two starters graduated. The two back-ups, Bolden and Mapu, have to elevate their play and new players added to the rotation or UT will not be any better next season.

I don't completely agree that because a player had significant playing time the year before, he will be significantly better the following year. Sometimes players only get marginally better.

Mapu has a lot to work on to get in shape. Bolden is not been the player everyone thought he would be when he was recruited. I can see one of those players losing the starting role to a freshmen if they don't play better.

UT DL in the past has been much better. Last year was very disappointing, the worst DL I can remember.

Not too worried about DE for the future. Ben Martin will be a contributor from day one, IMO. The coaches are very high on him. I don't know how much he'll contribute this year, but Rufus Williams is a name to watch too. He's a tenaicous pass rusher and better than his 3 star ranking. That's often the case with those high 3 star players from Florida. Then there's Chris Walker, who may turn out to be a DE at UT.

Also, don't forget about Rae Sykes and Cory Hall whenever they get here. The future is bright at DE. I think DE is a legitimate concern for the first half of this season however.

Mapu was a solid starter before leaving on missions. In shape, he's better than either guy that started at the end last year by a long shot. For point of reference consider that he and Harrell were recruited the same year. Mapu got on the field sooner and became a starter in front of Harrell. As Sophomores, Mapu had 26 tackles and appeared in every game. Harrell had 10 in 8 games.

Bolden has improved and still has potential.

Depth at DT is the biggest question mark for the upcoming season.

Last year it was QB. Ainge answered and if he'd stayed healthy the Vols would have won 10+ and possibly played in a BCS game.

My prediction for this year is that if the Vols can find two solid backups at DT and at least two good WR's they'll win 10+, the east, and play in a BCS game.

If they solve these two problems, they could be dominant on both sides of the ball to include a better running game than alot people expect.

Not too worried about DE for the future. Ben Martin will be a contributor from day one, IMO. The coaches are very high on him. I don't know how much he'll contribute this year

I can totally see Ben Martin come in on 3rd down to rush off of the QB's weakside.

You shouldnt be complaining about lack of signing good DT's. you got 2 4 stars and 1 3 star in Brimfield, who is no pushover.

BTW this is my first post!!

go cocks

If Brimfield can get his academics straight, he could be awesome.

The players UT gets out of SC usually equal or outperform their recruit rankings. This kid's size could make him hard to handle in a year or two.

We definitely got some good ones. I think all 3 have great potential, even if it isn't Torrey Davis or Marvin Austin type potential.

The first part of the season you will only see him on 3rd and long unless he is just a beast on the field.

VN Store

Back