UT didn't recruit a top DT this season

That is why I posted a thread awhile back about us maybe using a 3-4 this year. Although we do have a lack of ILBs, I think it could be feasible with our lack of depth and playmakers at DT

That won't happen.
1 UT does not have the players to play that
2. Chavis's philosphy doesn't mesh with the 3-4

What I saw had Langley as the 53rd best prospect at DT

check.gif
Tennessee DT 53
rating.gif
rating.gif
rating.gif
Donald Langley
(Seneca Valley HS)
both of them are better than McGothlin right now :)

Mapu was far from a disappointment last year considering he hadn't seen a weightroom in 2 years nor had he practiced football for 2 years. Mapu did exceptionally well!

Do yourself a favor and stay off Scout.com they are really clueless, ESPN is even worse. Langley(12th Best DT) is better than Melancon(22nd Best DT) and will play next fall. Mapu will play better having had an off-season to get ready and not just a month. Bolden who knows what will happen with him. Walter Fisher will have experience under his belt and if healthy will contribute alot, also Chase Nelson and Victor Thomas will get a chance to show what they can do, add that Wes Brown and Jarrod Shaw will get looks in spring to see if they can contribute at the Tackle part, UT also added Brimfield(28th Best DT).

Impact at DT? Langley

As for DB's those are covered with Evans(4.4), Willingham(4.35), Berry(4.31) and McKenzie(4.4) added to Hefney

Where are you finding Art Evans with a 4.4? Rivals has him as a 4.65.

It's not the first time they were wrong. Evans is faster than 4.65. The Coaches say he is the fastest DB they have right now in the drills.

One could easily make an argument that good DTs are the hardest to recruit. There are simply not that many 275-300 pound guys out there that can run a 4.8 or a 4.9.

I think could DT's are developed, and Chavis has a nasty habit of developing these guys. Yes I would feel better if UT had snagged a JUCO guy like Mehelona, but again there just aren't that many out there.

I am certainly not the most positive poster on this board when it comes to the talent level of this team right now, but I think that we will see a dramatic improvement in the DLine's play next year. It is just a hunch. Brimfield, Langley and Melancon are all potential monsters, but I hope they do not have to contribute in the coming season.

When I spoke with Dan Brooks before last season started, he was very high on Mapu. He told me that it would take some time, but he thought Mapu had as much potential as anyone he had coached in the last 5 years. I'll listen to that man since he's developed so many killers before on our line. I'll take Mapu to start this year and surprise alot of people.

One could easily make an argument that good DTs are the hardest to recruit. There are simply not that many 275-300 pound guys out there that can run a 4.8 or a 4.9.

I think could DT's are developed, and Chavis has a nasty habit of developing these guys. Yes I would feel better if UT had snagged a JUCO guy like Mehelona, but again there just aren't that many out there.

I am certainly not the most positive poster on this board when it comes to the talent level of this team right now, but I think that we will see a dramatic improvement in the DLine's play next year. It is just a hunch. Brimfield, Langley and Melancon are all potential monsters, but I hope they do not have to contribute in the coming season.

Who else besides Mapu and Bolden are coming back? I know they want Fisher to play DT but he would be a very small DT. The freshmen are going to have to contribute. Positive is that Langley is already enrolled and will get to know the system and get stronger

Last year we were undersized. Look for Fisher and Brown to both put on significant weight and move to the inside. Mapu and Bolden will start, Fisher and Brown will back them up. Dan Williams will also be in the mix.

If the coaches were as concerned about depth as the fans they would have kept Richard at DT.

DT's for This fall
Mapu
Bolden
Fisher
Nelson
Thomas
Brown DT/DE
Williams
Shaw
Langley
Melancon
Brimfield

DT's for This fall
Mapu
Bolden
Fisher
Nelson
Brown DT/DE
Williams
Langley
Melancon
Brimfield

I have high hopes for all of these players. I don't know if there is a general consensus for my knowledge, but it's how I feel.

Mapu was GOOD before he left, and was average this season without much work. With an off season to gain strength, PLUS THREE seasons of maturity, Mapu could find himself an All SEC selection.

Bolden should, and will, hit his potential this season. There is no way, in my mind, that he won't develop into a good, possibly great, DT.

The 3 frosh should and will all develop into studs, and I wouldn't rate 1 more likely than the others. All 3 will make us proud, IMO.

Fisher is a real wild card, I think, but he has the measurables that make you think he'll be good. He has height for either tackle or end, but needs more weight to be inside.

I know I'll catch crap for this, but I'm excited about Brown, Williams, and Nelson. Sleepers, if you will.

Brown is 6'4", 256 as a freshman from a good football state. I think he could be a serviceable end, which, in college, is a very solid contributor.

Williams is a monster. Not overly tall, but 6'3" is fine at tackle - his 310 is amazing. Like Brown, he's a freshman and should be a solid contributor.

Nelson is another guy I see at end who will play very well as he matures. He's a freshman from Tulsa (we like those Okie players) 6'4", 251. Honestly, the DL might not be amazing in 2007, but 2008, it should be incredible. Pass rushing ends galore plus run stuffers up the gut. I like the promise.

Nelson and Thomas have been moved to DT
Brown is up to 285 and a RS So
Shaw is 6-4/330 RS Fr.
Williams is a RS So.

And just what don't you feel will be a problem?
You also feel ESPN knows something about recruiting

simply by last year they were terrible and i don't see much changing this year unless langley is just a beast, which only time will tell. as for espn i don't like there ranking system and i trust rivals more, but they did get marvin austin right when you all were saying they were wrong. also it is free to me to be a insider with my buddy's password.

simply by last year they were terrible and i don't see much changing this year unless langley is just a beast, which only time will tell. as for espn i don't like there ranking system and i trust rivals more, but they did get marvin austin right when you all were saying they were wrong. also it is free to me to be a insider with my buddy's password.

Yeah and they got it from an L:A Times speculation article

Count on Mapu having a great season. After an off-season of weights and getting in shape, I would be very surprised if he did not.

Langley should be a 5 star. He's that good. He just keeps getting better and better, and he was one of the best DL's in the AAA game this year. He's not just physically gifted - he's got attitude and serious drive. He's a leader. There's no telling where his ceiling is. I think he will contribute this season as a solid 2nd teamer.

As for Brimfield, doubtful he'll get in this year, due to grades. He's got great potential. He was not very publicized and was under the radar for some time, so he is likely better than his rating as well.

We'll be fine. Don't forget, we've got one of the best staffs in the country for developing DL's.

VN Store

Back