UT Coaching Staff Changes

Who would you fire or demote?

• Total voters
Everyone that has a championship, or even winning season has luck. You folks act as if this is the first year we have ever been lucky.

I for one remember how everybody was sweating the Georgia game this year and posting, "please God, don't let me have to hear these Dawg fans for another year."

The Vols beat Florida, Georgia, and Alabama this year. (Both Florida and Georgia are now ranked) Where I live, it gives bragging rights over just about everybody.

And one interesting note regarding the Vanderbilt game. It was almost worth it that the game went down to the wire. I was watching the game with a couple of huuuuge Georgia fans (from Athens) at my brother's house in Atlanta. They (Dawg fans) were really getting their hopes up at the end... only to be deflated. I, on the other hand, was very confident... no matter the score... that the Vols would win. I loved watching those Dawg fans squirm!

I think Sanders has done a better job this year and can't see a good reason to fire him based on this year's improved performance. I do however believe the OL is under achieving and has been for a while. I know Akdins is new and Stephens is basically new, so what do you do. Chavis has not had as good a year as in past but still deserves to stay. The DBs have been disappointing this year so I would consider giving Slade the boot.

When a program reaches the level of UT's anything less than 9 w's is a complete and total collapse and certainly not a season to boast and brag about. If we are expecting less than that before this, or any season starts, then the problems I have mentioned previously must be real. Also, when the recruiting level is at the height we achieve yearly to be satisfied with 9 wins doesn't say much from our expectations for our coaches and the talent they are paid millions develop. The victories on our slate are directly attributed to the talent not coaching. Look at a few of the recent "big wins." All of the "bama wins are against fair teams at best.The 03' Miami win was against another team that lost 2 games and not near the top of their expectations. 03'and 04' Florida victories were against a marginal Gator teams at best. Is a road victory against Mississippi large? Do we expect to lose againt an Arkansas? Giving up 30+ points to Vandy, I don't think so. I will not bore you with more facts of the underachieving, undercoached talent that runs through our program. Just watch how many reasonable players in Knoxville do so well at the next level. Is this luck, happenstance or players being taught proper techniques, skills and MADE as good as they can be? :( And if we get rid of Chavis we ARE a 6-5 team, maybe worse.

Originally posted by donsargegolf@Nov 24, 2004 7:19 PM
The victories on our slate are directly attributed to the talent not coaching.

:unsure:

I don't think you can blame coaches for losses AND not give them credit for wins. When you do this, you imply that the team can run itself and the coaches can never satisfy anybody.

...but I do agree with you about Chavis. His defense has carried the team this year.

Anybody that thinks Chavis is not worth his weight in gold is crazy. Everybody on the staff including Fulmer should be let go before Chavis. His defense has been the difference between and winning season and a losing one in 2000, 2002, 2003 and 2004. As for the UGa game where there was no pressure you can blame Fulmer, he's the one that wanted a squibb kick.

Like I said, I'm not familiar with Chavis' work. I have not really followed UT before this year. But from what I have seen, the defense is by far the most inconsistent part of our game.

TNVOLS1 I hope some day I meet you to buy you a beer. You are one of the few that can see RS is " a boy living in a mans world." And secondly, your comments on Coach Chavis are perfect. He has saved this season, last season and many more before that. It is comforting to know a few of our fans can see the obvious and you are near the top of the class. :good: :clap: :good: :clap:

VN Store

Back