UT Basketball

Uh oh, here comes Stanford........this is starting to remind me of the Vandy game..

Ugly Ugly game. 5:40 drought by the Vols. Sound familiar?

I was just thinking, now this is the Tennessee Basketball I have come to love! :bad:

I think that we might have this one in the bag if we can make some of those freebies! When is the UNC game? Tomorrow?

Victory is ours!!! :clap: If I was Buzz, I would make them stay afterwards and do some passing drills!

Yeah, it will be. You never know thought, UNC could have another meltdown! I am off to bed. I don't know if I will be able to get to sleep. That second half got my heart rate up.

It was a good game... too bad I didn't have any 'net access all night. They can win a lot of games if they get on top and have a lead going into the final min. Get the ball in Scooter's hands, and watch the free throws drop! I'll be watching tonight, but really the best I think we can hope for is not getting embarassed like BYU did. I think Hendrix will get better... that 6 min drought was disgusting. Gotta kill that.

After 1-11 on the road last year and playing against a ranked PAC-10 foe (Stanford is No. 25) that also happened to be 30-2 last season.... I'm real happy the Vols were able to hold on for this one. Seems like some of the new players got first game jitters and did not perform like they did in the exhibition games. Hopefully they'll show up against UNC tonight.

Here's a statistic though... The chances of the Vols beating UNC are one in a million.

Man That sure would be sweet though.

one in a million is quite harsh.

Santa Clara beat UNC by a score of 77-66 last week.

The Vols just beat the No. 25 team in the country.

The Vols may get embarrased... but then again... they may not?

If Chris Lofton can play like he did in the exhibition games (17.0 ppg and 72.2% shooting) instead of like he did against Stanford.... others have to step up as well...

Scooter, CJ, and Brandon can't carry the entire load. They accounted for 47 of the Vols 69 points.

They also need to cut down on the turnovers.

The Vols shouldn't be intimidated, since they play SEC opponents every season.

Some things in the Vols favor on improving on last season....
Tennessee returns all five starters and a total of nine letterwinners for the 2005 season. It is the first time that UT has returned all five starters since 1998-99.
Every statistical category leader from 2004 returns for the 2005 season. The Vols return 88.1 percent of their scoring and 85.5 percent of their rebounding. In fact, UT returns at least 78 percent of its 2004 production in every statistical category.

05mbbheader550.jpeg

I hope you're right AllVol... one problem though... those starters are also the guys that lost to George Mason at HOME in the first round of the NIT. Their offense was good last year, it was just the D that sucked... it seemed last night that they have stepped it up a little in that department, but then again, Stanford could have just played that poor.

I'll cross my fingers and we'll see tonight? I guess I'll be pulling the Orange out early this week. I'm spending Thanksgiving with family from Lexington, including an Aunt that is a UK alum, and a cousin who is a current student. Should be fun!

Just one correction.... that game in the NIT last year was at George Mason.... part of the Vols 1-11 record in road games.

I'm looking forward to the UNC game this evening. I fully intended to watch last night but woke up on the couch at 2:30 and missed the whole thing! I'm hoping this is the year that Buzz puts his stamp on the team - it seems like he's starting to frustrate some fans but I'm a big believer in what he can do. For the first time in a long time (ever?), I feel like UT basketball is going to just fine....

I think that the game tonight could be big for the Vols if they win. That was the first time that I have been able to see them this year. They looked a lot more confident than what I remember from last year. A win over UNC could boost the confidence even more and give this team an early identity, which I think that they need more that anything. GO VOLS!!

The Vols did not play their best against North Carolina. But I saw some promising things. Lofton played much better than he did against Stanford. Patterson played well too. Defense played well at times. The interior offense was almost non-existant, with the Vols relying too much on perimeter scoring. The 3 team leaders (Crump, McFadgon, and Watson) shot a combined 8-of-29. The key to UT's success usually starts with CJ Watson... and he did not play well (3-of-14 and 4 turnovers) albeit against some tough UNC defense. I was also disappointed in Crump's play. He seems lethargic at times, could not get the big rebounds, and was ineffective in the paint. He seemed to be coming out too far and not posting up in the paint area. Another area that needs work is the defense. Too many times UNC was able to get easy points in the paint... 2nd chance points off offensive rebounds... and also the perimeter defense broke down and allowed open 3-point shots. There were too many fouls due to being either out-of-position or laziness on defense (UNC shot 37 free throws). The Vols looked great at times, especially at the first of the game and during a stretch of the 2nd half.... but they did not play consistant enough to compete with a top ten team. Well see today if they learned anything from last night when they play Texas today.

The positive of playing teams like Stanford, UNC, and Texas to start the season, is the younger players don't get a false feeling that they are playing well. (like when they open with Wofford or Western Carolina, etc) It gives them a gauge to let them know how hard they need to work to better themselves. In most seasons, the Vols don't play a tough team until they get into SEC action in January.... that wastes more than a month that they could be working on getting better.

Don't forget.... vs #15 Texas today at 4:30 eastern (espn2)

I can't wait until next year when Tyler Smith joins the Vols BB team. He is a dandy!! He plays at Giles County,TN so if you get a chance to watch them, go.
He will be a special player!!!

VN Store

Back