UT Basketball Blue Blood

This is an embarrassing thread. We have never won an SEC Tournament or made it to a single Final Four.

Reactions: CAVPUT
Even basketball people acknowledge UCLA is no longer a blue blood program. It’s been nothing special since Wooden retired.

Michigan State has some great results but they’re still just blue collar program IMO. Rarely do you see them recruiting a 5* kid outside of Michigan or surrounding states. They play s blue collar style. Blue blood to me is a very long & rich history, talent laden style of basketball, rabid fan base, multiple Nattys by different groups of players (sorry Florida) and constant flow of 5 star kids from various parts of the country. That’s Ky, Duke, UNC & Kansas right now.

I agree that this thread is like asking if Holly Warlick is ever gonna be a Victoria's Secret Angel.

She might but I wouldnt bet on it.

I don’t think casual fans understand just how anemic Vols basketball history is. For context Billy Donovan has been to more sweet sixteens that our entire program. Tennessee would need to win five titles in a decade to even get into the conversation for blue blood status.
You probably aren't old enough to know, but we have had several transfusions that relieved our anemia over the years. We've had some really good years of basketball at times. How many championships have Kentucky and UCLA won over the last 2 decades combined? Your argument is weak, and VolNation sees what you've been doing recently.

Elite. Not blue blood.

Florida in football is a good comparison. Still a new money team. A lot of success the last 25 years. Still not a blue blood.
I think we're all talking semantics here. What one person means might not be what the next one means as far as criteria goes. As for me, I just want to be in "the conversation" each year nationally. I really don't care what title someone bestows, but I like the fact that we had a chance to win a national title this year.

Man I usually don't care what our rivals that come on here think of us...but this thread title is just embarrassing.
Could have been a better title. Even an Ever? at the end. If Barnes succeeds with building a culture we could attain Elite status but never be considered in the BlueBlood ranks.

Coach K is Duke basketball. They’ve accomplished great things no doubt. I only included that qualifier because the other programs I mentioned have success that goes farther back and spans multiple coaches.

They went to multiple NCAA CGs, multiple final 4's, won 14 ACC tournament titles and 10 regular season titles all before Coach K got there. They were a great program that hadn't won a title because their FF years were for the most part during the reign of Wooden.

Reactions: orangepridenation
They went to multiple NCAA CGs, multiple final 4's, won 14 ACC tournament titles and 10 regular season titles all before Coach K got there. They were a great program that hadn't won a title because their FF years were for the most part during the reign of Wooden.

I knew they lost to Wooden in the '64 finals, but I didn't realize how good they'd been in the ACC. Also totally forgot about their run to the finals in '78. Good points.

VN Store

Back