UT’s “Hall of Shame”

Jack Sells

KNOXVILLE – The pages came popping out of the fax machine in the Florida football office. There it was in black and white: page after page of Tennessee plays, many of which included handwritten notes along the border.
The coach who received those pages in 1991 was then-Florida defensive coordinator Ron Zook. The coach who sent them were his good friend, Jack Sells, a Tennessee assistant coach who had just gotten fired for recruiting violations.

Florida won the game, 35-18. Zook received a game ball.

It wasn’t until a few days later that an employee at the Knoxville Kinkos, from where Sells had faxed the plays, saw what was on the pages and notified the Tennessee athletic department.
Zook initially denied receiving the documents, but several days later then-Florida coach Steve Spurrier confirmed it. Sells, who played for the Vols in the ’80s, became the most despised man in Tennessee, not including politicians and actual criminals.

There you have it, Faxgate, a scandal that has been revisited by reporters in Gainesville and Knoxville this week because Zook, now the Gators’ head coach, led Florida (2-1) into Neyland Stadium yesterday to face SEC rival Tennessee (2-0).

When reporters in Florida made like Sergeant Joe Friday and asked Zook about the fax, the first-year Gators coach offered a terse response. “It has nothing to do with the game,” Zook told the Orlando Sentinel. “Had nothing to do with the game in ’91.”

Last edited:
Whoever had to edit and produce that "Fear the Pants" video for Derek Dooley.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate whoever that may be. I know the historical significance of coaches apparel at Tennessee. I'm not blaming 'em. Tennessee's media department is actually pretty damn good stuff.

I'm just saying - someone had to make a video about fearing Derek Dooley's pants. Which they played. On the jumbotron. For 100,000 people. 5-7 coach. His pants. Fear them.

Man, you just cannot bring that one up at the Thanksgiving dinner table.

3rd down for what

I will never understand the geriatrics that got upset about that... I know they couldn't get Glen Miller's Orchestra to do some hip beat for the kids, but the student section LOVED Third Down For What and the crowd was into it literally every single 3rd down... Do you know what that's worth defensively???

I will never understand the geriatrics that got upset about that... I know they couldn't get Glen Miller's Orchestra to do some hip beat for the kids, but the student section LOVED Third Down For What and the crowd was into it literally every single 3rd down... Do you know what that's worth defensively???

It was ok every once in awhile. Every damn 3rd down was too much. It got old real fast

VN Store

Back