USFL 2023

I'm sure I'll probably be proved wrong, but I just don't see the attraction to low quality football. If USFL, XFL, or any other start up league is supposed to be the equivalent of minor league baseball or hockey, then it makes sense.

But people talk about these start up football leagues like they expect them to explode into something great or unique.

As long as college football is around I don't see much future for more startup football leagues that aren't part of the NFL.

I'm sure I'll probably be proved wrong, but I just don't see the attraction to low quality football. If USFL, XFL, or any other start up league is supposed to be the equivalent of minor league baseball or hockey, then it makes sense.

But people talk about these start up football leagues like they expect them to explode into something great or unique.

As long as college football is around I don't see much future for more startup football leagues that aren't part of the NFL.
It’s about like watching low quality high school football, except there is no natural loyalty to a team. The number of fans in the stands for this game today tells you that the players’ family/girlfriends don’t even go to the games.

It’s about like watching low quality high school football, except there is no natural loyalty to a team. The number of fans in the stands for this game today tells you that the players’ family/girlfriends don’t even go to the games.
The teams stay in Birmingham, i don't know if their families go down for them.

It pretty much is. In the past these leagues seemed to avoid saying this out loud but now they are pretty much going with it. The XFL 3.0 especially is pretty much trying to set up as an unofficial but sorta official minor league to the NFL. The USFL is owned by Fox and Fox has a billion dollar TV contract with the NFL so they know which one makes them more money. Personally I think the USFL was just Fox trying to upgrade The Spring League into something more marketable. TSL was a pretty decent success but it was pretty much just for players, and I think getting the USFL name and making the teams turned it into a fan opportunity.

Honestly the only ones I see that act like these are going to explode are the very vocal minority online who seem to have an anti-NFL mindset that has been around a long time now. I've been hearing these types all the way back to the original XFL days.

Me, I love me some spring football. I know it's historically a disaster and the chances are slim either league lasts long term and probably close to 0 both leagues survive (barring a merger of some sort) but I'll be doing my part in watching. I was a little kid when the original USFL was on but I even have very subtle memories of turning a game on in May and being amazed there was a real football game on. I watched the WLAF/NFL Europe, the XFL 1.0, the United Football League, AAF, XFL 2.0, and now USFL 2.0 and I'll watch XFL 3.0. I also watched the Arena Football League and I've been watching the CFL reguarly for about 15+ years now.

Congrats to the Stallions for winning the first USFL Championship since the Baltimore Stars won the 1985 Championship.

Fun fact, the Stars have played in every USFL championship. The original Philadelphia Stars lost the 1983 championship to the Michigan Panthers, won the 1984 championship over the Arizona Wranglers, and won the 1985 championship over the Oakland Invaders but this time as the Baltimore Stars. The Stars moved to Baltimore in response to the news that they were going to move the 1986 season to the fall. They already had trouble in scheduling at Veteran's Stadium with playing the same time as the Phillies but a move to the fall would mean trying to deal with the Phillies, Eagles and Temple football. Though funny enough, they actually had to play at the Maryland Terrapin's stadium becaues the owner of the Baltimore Orioles wouldn't allow the Stars to play at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore.

Reactions: MAD
Congrats to the Stallions for winning the first USFL Championship since the Baltimore Stars won the 1985 Championship.

Fun fact, the Stars have played in every USFL championship. The original Philadelphia Stars lost the 1983 championship to the Michigan Panthers, won the 1984 championship over the Arizona Wranglers, and won the 1985 championship over the Oakland Invaders but this time as the Baltimore Stars. The Stars moved to Baltimore in response to the news that they were going to move the 1986 season to the fall. They already had trouble in scheduling at Veteran's Stadium with playing the same time as the Phillies but a move to the fall would mean trying to deal with the Phillies, Eagles and Temple football. Though funny enough, they actually had to play at the Maryland Terrapin's stadium becaues the owner of the Baltimore Orioles wouldn't allow the Stars to play at Memorial Stadium in Baltimore.
Watched the championship, only game I saw all season. Turned out to be enjoyable and competitive, would watch next year if they return.

Reactions: peaygolf
Watched the championship, only game I saw all season. Turned out to be enjoyable and competitive, would watch next year if they return.
2 words..............................MEMPHIS SHOWBOATS

Reactions: MAD
2 words..............................MEMPHIS SHOWBOATS

They are already talking expansion. I would imagine since they put a team back in Birmingham, they'd probably like the Showboats back in Memphis. I honestly think it would succeed since it has history and could set up a good rivalry with the Stallions.

Reactions: peaygolf
Man Tampa must just not be a good place for non-NFL pro football. The Vipers already moved to LV and now the Bandits are "moving" to Memphis. I think they based it all on merchandise sales, and I read the Bandits' stuff was the least bought USFL gear.

The good news for the Bandits is since the USFL owns the rights, they can bring them back if the league gets strong enough to support more teams.

That’s still a rumor and has not been confirmed. FYI.

But you could call them any city you want, games will only be played in a couple of places again next season. Hard to build followers that way.

Man Tampa must just not be a good place for non-NFL pro football. The Vipers already moved to LV and now the Bandits are "moving" to Memphis. I think they based it all on merchandise sales, and I read the Bandits' stuff was the least bought USFL gear.

The good news for the Bandits is since the USFL owns the rights, they can bring them back if the league gets strong enough to support more teams.
I moved to this area back in 2009. I guess they changed the rules, but back then the home Buccaneer games were always blacked out for local tv due to not selling enough tickets.

Yea Memphis!!!!!

Should have had an NFL team back in the ‘70s

The Memphis Showboats of Birmingham. Yay :rolleyes:

Yeah, I don’t get it if they don’t play in the city they “represent.” I assume it’s all to keep costs low but don’t pretend it’s a team representing Memphis or any other city.

That’s still a rumor and has not been confirmed. FYI.

But you could call them any city you want, games will only be played in a couple of places again next season. Hard to build followers that way.

Yes but rumor is Memphis might be one of the hub cities.

VN Store

Back