USC and UCLA to leave Pac 12 for Big Ten

This has to be a transitionary phase. No way we can have two mega conferences, the other conferences, and four playoff spots. Something's got to give.

College athletics has just gotten stupid. All of this conference realignment and conference expansion--creating super conferences that clearly have way too many member schools now and are rapidly losing the rivalries and regional bases that made them fun and credible. This is all being driven by greed, first, and then the fear of losing out--one conference getting smaller TV deals than another conferences, schools fearful of not making as much money as other schools and so leaving for bigger, more established conferences. As I say, it's all got rather absurd. Manifest greed: It's not pretty and it's ****** up college athletics.

schools will try to get rid of some of those sports and then athletes for them will sue the schools. They will cry discrimination and want equal shares of NIL monies.
Both those schools are usually really good in water polo. I don’t even know if Big 10 schools play that.

All of this sh## is so depressing. Any and all vestiges of tradition are being wiped out in the name of filthy lucre. Yeah, I'll still be a VFL, but it is just getting gross. And I predict that major bowl games will become the domain of bench warmers and 2'nd stringers, due to the starters not being willing to risk draft position. At this point, maybe the NFL should take over. College football has always been a free scouting program for them. Maybe it's time to make them pay for the service provided.

I hope that Clemson never invited to join the SEC, I just don’t care for their arrogant fans.

Clemson and FSU have been in contact with the SEC for years. The issue is their footprint is already covered by current members. They just don't add enough to a TV contract. People forget this is a business and not a charity. They just can't get a spot in the SEC so they won't get left out. Some people will point out Texas was a duplicate market with Texas A&M and they were still admitted. Texas is the 2nd most powerful brand in college sports behind Notre Dame--normal rules don't apply. Clemson and FSU are no Texas--not even close. Its Big Ten or bust for Clemson/FSU.

The only schools that are worth it for SEC (and not in the Big Ten) are Notre Dame, UVA/Virginia Tech (one not both) and UNC.

Huge losers are Oregon and Notre Dame.

Oregon may be stuck in what's essentially a "Group of 5" conference of B12/P12 leftovers.

ND always had enough viewership clout to flirt with the B1G but stay at arms length. Now the B1G can, and probably will, tell ND they aren't interested anymore. ND is then stuck with the "also ran ACC" which the SEC will gut eventually but I doubt the SEC wants or needs ND either.

I'm also hearing rumbles the B1G might want NC or UVa and Duke, as they're academic (AAU) fits for the B1G and as a preemptive strike to weaken the ACC even more.

If the ACC caves before 2035, waives the big money payouts then the SEC poaches Miami and FSU, for sure, and maybe a couple of others.

I'd say within a few years the SEC and B1G build a pro league, totally ditch the last bit of the "student athlete" BS, and align with the NFL in some way.

Reactions: oz615
I think the Big XII is in worse shape. That's who the Pac will look to raid.

I could see an ACC/Pac 12(10)
merger. National footprint, really good football and basketball programs, and a potential Oregon-Clemson FB game would be fun to watch.

I bet Lincoln Riley is going to hate playing BIG teams every year, too.

Hardly...Notre Dame is on the clock right now. If they want in, its theirs.
We'll see but I'm betting the B1G no longer needs ND eyeballs because USC and UCLA will make TV revenue ridiculous without them.

I think they played the "we're independent" card too long and the "student athlete" model where going to ND meant something is dying, if not dead.

Money is king for the players and the super conferences. ND is the past now.

In order for USC and Rutgers to play each other, one of them will have to travel over 2,400 miles. It will be an estimated 4 hour and 20 minute flight for Rutgers to reach LAX... and that's just to play an in-conference opponent. Crazy.
Only about once per decade though.

We'll see but I'm betting the B1G no longer needs ND eyeballs because USC and UCLA will make TV revenue ridiculous without them.

I think they played the "we're independent" card too long and the "student athlete" model where going to ND meant something is dying, if not dead.

The basketball program has been trash since joining the ACC

Notre Dame is still the most valuable college sports product in the country. Only Texas comes close. If they can get them they won't think twice. Neither would the SEC btw even though there is nothing southern about Notre Dame.

Why would they step down to the Big XII rather than taking the decent Big XII programs to the Pac? The remaining Pac is still a better conference than what's left of the Big XII.
Now that Oregon and Washington have applied for membership in the BIG the PAC is a sinking ship. No reason for BIG XII schools to play half their games in the Pacific Time Zone. Plus there is that really nasty exit fee for leaving the BIG XII. The math doesn't add up.

Reactions: WVU05UT09
Clemson and FSU have been in contact with the SEC for years. The issue is their footprint is already covered by current members. They just don't add enough to a TV contract. People forget this is a business and not a charity. They just can't get a spot in the SEC so they won't get left out. Some people will point out Texas was a duplicate market with Texas A&M and they were still admitted. Texas is the 2nd most powerful brand in college sports behind Notre Dame--normal rules don't apply. Clemson and FSU are no Texas--not even close. Its Big Ten or bust for Clemson/FSU.

The only schools that are worth it for SEC (and not in the Big Ten) are Notre Dame, UVA/Virginia Tech (one not both) and UNC.
This is 2010 logic, cable subscribers isn't a thing teams arr planning for. The future of media is streaming so it jusy matters that yeams have large fan bases. No, this is all about NIL.

The issue for the SEC is if the Big 10 wants to expand south it would be for recruiting. The SEC doesn't need FSU or Clemson but do they want Ohio State playing in Tallahassee every year or Michigan playing in Clemson where an Atlanta recruit can make a day trip? Georgia Tech almost went to the Big Ten several years ago and the reason was the Big Ten wanted a southern pipeline so a Penn State could have recruits come see them when they play GT in Atlanta.

The SEC may not need these teams but they may not want the Big Ten to have them either. And at some point does the SEC cast off teams? Does MS State or Mizzou really bring anything?

Reactions: volbound1700

VN Store

Back