USA Today Picks Jauan Jennings as the #1...

I agree with what you say. However in the "league" most all players have the things you refer to. These abilities/desires would make JJ just one of the boys.
No they don’t. That’s why Rondel Menendez and Jerome Mathis aren’t household names despite both being in the top 4 recorded times and why Darrius Heyward-Bey is a household name due to being a colossal bust despite his 4.3. Could run real fast in a straight line without pads. Couldn’t recover a jam at the line of scrimmage regularly...couldn’t catch a damn thing much less gain YAC if he did get down the field. Best WR in history worked his azz off consistently running seamless routes and aggressively attacking the reception. The best have that trait...the rest average about 2-3 years.

Are we supposed to care what someone at USA today thinks? blah - blah - blah, etc. etc. Jennings will go on to be successful because he has a drive to win. Can't measure that with a stopwatch and measuring tape.

Unfortunately I do not think he gets drafted just because of his "Measurables" but what makes JJ special is the "un"-measurables. I think he goes undrafted but gets a call seconds after the draft with an offer and then proceeds to maker a team. He is the type of player the Patriots have been finding and making a star out of when everyone else passed.

Reactions: bigorange
It's still crazy to me how so many NFL front offices treat the combine more important than 4 years of actual footage of prospects playing football at a high level.

Jennings will never have to run a 40-yard dash as an NFL WR. He will have to run routes, fight off cornerbacks, juke defenders, catch bullet passes, and break tackles while wearing full pads and a helmet every game. He's a lot better at those things than the 40-yard dash.

Jennings probably wins the 40-yard "carry a defender on your back" dash, as well.

I'm not saying speed isn't important, but it's much more important for some players than others. Jennings isn't a speed WR. That's not how he makes big plays.
Maybe that's why the NFL absolutely sucks to watch.

In a deep wide receiver class Jennings offers a unique skill set other receivers don't. Yeah his combine numbers aren't great but he is unique and a good team will take a chance on him because he offers skills that other receivers don't. Callaway has a much more similar style to a lot of wide receivers and while his combine numbers are pretty good, but I don't know if he did enough to stand out.

Every time I hear one of these analytics gurus spout off about an obscure ratio and the deep impact that will have on another ratio one level up, I want to stab my eye out.

JJ has heart, drive, and decent athletic ability. The first two you can’t really coach, you have it or you don’t. Will he be a star? Who knows. But I’ll bet my bottom dollar that the analytics from the combine have absolutely no correlation to his chances to become a solid NFL possession receiver. None whatsoever.

Now, back to debating whether JG is a great QB, or the greatest ever, based on seventeen different analytics ratios.

Seems to me every talking head in the NFL said the same things about Jerry Rice when he was coming out of college..Not sayin' JJ will be a Rice clone but it was said Rice was WAY too slow, couldn't jump and would be a bust..Especially since JR played at Miss Valley State (not exactly an NFL pipeline)..

Rice went in the middle of the 1st round.

He'll get drafted - perhaps lower than he should. In some ways, these combine numbers just prove what a warrior he is. If he was that slow and unathletic, how did he have a great senior season in the toughest football conference in the country?

Reactions: bigorange
Seems to me every talking head in the NFL said the same things about Jerry Rice when he was coming out of college..Not sayin' JJ will be a Rice clone but it was said Rice was WAY too slow, couldn't jump and would be a bust..Especially since JR played at Miss Valley State (not exactly an NFL pipeline)..

Here's hoping JJ sets the football world on it's ear with a massive NFL career ...…….

This is a bit more of that apocrypha surrounding Rice. While it's universally accepted Rice was no Bob Hayes the reports of 4.7 40's are pretty much debunked with any serious research. The Cowboys were set to take Rice in the first round but the Niners wanted him bad enough to trade their first two picks to move up and get him at 16th overall. (He was the #1 overall player selected by the USFL that year)

Rice was a very highly regarded receiver coming out of college.

At the very least JJ's combine performance cost him some money. He's unquestionably a "baller" that can play better than his measurements but to what extent any teams are willing to invest up front that his college tape will carry over week in/week out against NFL athletes is an iffy prospect.

Reactions: Doberman
I love how everybody has a slow WR exception to point too. There are guys that make it, but mostly guys like Jennings turn into special teams guys that fight to stick somewhere. I’m pulling for him though.

This was the New Orleans Saints Micheal Thomas's Draft report:

Weaknesses
Struggles with footwork out of press release spending excessive time trying to fake and shake cornerbacks. Still figuring out this whole "route running" thing. Needs to improve playing through contact and adjusting routes appropriately. Still thinking rather than just playing. Will have to work back to the throw more often on NFL level. Won't win over quarterbacks with inability to rescue the off-target throws. Plays with passive field demeanor against aggressive cornerbacks. Won't go looking for work as run blocker if he doesn't have to. Doesn't appear to offer special teams value.

He is now one of the best WRs in the NFL. Same can happen for JJ. Just needs the right team.

You have no earthly idea what he did or didn’t do to prepare.

Im pretty sure the scouts saying it. Its not just me saying it. His performance told you otherwise. Im not hating on the kid im just saying his performance as a WR was horrendous. Callaway did pretty good though.

JJ is going to have to work for a spot on a roster just like he has done the whole time he was here . No big deal , it’s just how things are sometimes . He will appreciate it even more when he lands one .

"NFL Combine Loser"

*sigh*

He's got alot of heart. Hope he proves everyone wrong.

1. Jauan Jennings, WR, Tennessee: In the Southeastern Conference, Jennings regularly pulled down jump balls and racked up yards after the catch. After netting a 4.72-second 40 and a 29-inch vertical leap, both second worst at his position, the 6-3, 215-pound target will face questions about whether he can do either effectively in the NFL. In a deep receiver class, Jennings might have a hard time standing out given his disconcerting athletic profile.

NFL combine winners, losers: Isaiah Simmons stands alone among top performers

40 yard dash is the most over-hyped stat there is. Football speed with pads on and running fast in a straight line are two different things. Seen lots of fast guys that can't catch, or run routes correctly, not as many guys that can catch in traffic and are a load to bring down.

No they don’t. That’s why Rondel Menendez and Jerome Mathis aren’t household names despite both being in the top 4 recorded times and why Darrius Heyward-Bey is a household name due to being a colossal bust despite his 4.3. Could run real fast in a straight line without pads. Couldn’t recover a jam at the line of scrimmage regularly...couldn’t catch a damn thing much less gain YAC if he did get down the field. Best WR in history worked his azz off consistently running seamless routes and aggressively attacking the reception. The best have that trait...the rest average about 2-3 years.
DHB never lived up to being a 7th overall pick but he wasn't colossal bust either. He eventually matured and had 5 productive seasons in Pittsburgh as a #3-#5 receiver plus special teams player.

He will get his shot, too bad it will be a short term shot, but that may be all he needs. Stats are meaningful but when everyone is in the air its who comes down with the ball that counts.

Jennings will be fine, drafted or undrafted. Any football scout with any common sense could see he's a great football player through and through. And you don't have to be the most athletic to be one of the best. Consistency and heart can take you just as far, and Jennings has proved that.

VN Store

Back