USA TODAY Elite 11 QBs..Interesting Breakdowns

It is very very rare for QBs to leave early. Rarer for them to leave early after one good season which he has yet to even have. No scouting reports out there or analysts are talking about him on the pros and most people with pro mentality aren’t thinking about the pros before they ever have a good season.

Most mentors have a very realistic outlook on players and tell them to keep their mind focused on today. So, whoever in “JG’s” camp is saying the guy will go pro is probably not JG and someone who just think he looks good. No offense, but people “connected to the program” also were saying Gruden was coming to Tennessee.

The JG camp consists of 15 VN posters who blame their marital and Income problems on the O-line

The JG camp consists of 15 VN posters who blame their marital and Income problems on the O-line
Well there could be great truth to that lol. That said, I think I read our OL was 6th in sacks allowed last year. Could have been much worse. They should be much better this year.

Reactions: vols 30
Not cherry picking stats at all. It shows how rare it is for a QB to go pro. JG does not have an NFL grade at this juncture, so it is all speculation which is unfounded. Only fair comparisons are stats for QBs who have made it and those who have not yet. Less than 1% of QBs make it and of those who have, they put up stats that double JG’s best year.

I will use your example of Luck:
3715 best year

Kyler Murray
4361 best year

Dwayne Haskins

JG
1907 best year so far
I thought you were talking about a QB declaring early being a rare thing? Yeah I mean I have to agree with you that most kids won’t declare early bc they’re not getting drafted anyways. I’m simply saying a better metric would be determining which players at the position which receive a high draft grade decide to declare.

As far as JG, hell idk, I don’t see him going pro. That said how many people saw Nathan Peterman going pro before Chaney got him? Idk that our offense will be a top tier one right away but I do think we will improve and be a little more Consistent

Reactions: vegasvolfan
I thought you were talking about a QB declaring early being a rare thing? Yeah I mean I have to agree with you that most kids won’t declare early bc they’re not getting drafted anyways. I’m simply saying a better metric would be determining which players at the position which receive a high draft grade decide to declare.

As far as JG, hell idk, I don’t see him going pro. That said how many people saw Nathan Peterman going pro before Chaney got him? Idk that our offense will be a top tier one right away but I do think we will improve and be a little more Consistent

I agree he and we should be a little better this year. I just think it will be much like Nate’s first year for JG next year with a slight improvement. I think he will have his shot to have a big season and go pro by 2020 also like Nate.

I really like JG’s character and feel he was robbed of some years of development and hope he reaches his dreams, whatever they may be.

Here is this which should put things for JG haters into perspective:

Under-the-radar players ready for a breakout season in 2019

Three declared and only 2 made it. I don’t see him leaving. Why would he? His second best receiver is returning. His entire line is returning. He has a great back field and our D will be returning most of their guys.... we should be the best we have been since JG has made it to campus. He probably will have some new talent to throw to by then too when you consider both Johnson AND Martin are on staff and Chaney is coaching him. Why in the world would he leave?

2020 is a weak QB draft class and NFL teams are desperate for QBs (see Nathan Peterman). JG could be joining a class where Justin Herbert is the biggest name if Fromm and Eason don’t declare early. Otherwise he waits until 2021 and takes his chances with a much stronger QB group.

It’s just something to consider when looking at how many QB recruits we should take this class.

2020 is a weak QB draft class and NFL teams are desperate for QBs (see Nathan Peterman). JG could be joining a class where Justin Herbert is the biggest name if Fromm and Eason don’t declare early. Otherwise he waits until 2021 and takes his chances with a much stronger QB group.

It’s just something to consider when looking at how many QB recruits we should take this class.

Only 2 declared early the year before and I have been reading that early departures rarely work out.

Look at this link:
NCAA College Football FBS current individual Stats | NCAA.com

There will be 7 Juniors from this list, because Haskins already left. Fromm and Tua Tag are all more likely candidates to leave early. Both have been talked about leaving early often and both have already been injured. So, that makes five Juniors all of which have our performed JG and will be seniors next year. Kellen Mond who is in this list and Franks who is not on this list and are SEC program QBs who have outperformed JG. Eason is the better QB as well and will also have two years. I think he stays, but who really knows?

Regardless, there are TWENTY ONE QBs on this list that will be seniors this year, but yeah only 19 will go because two of which are already gone and those are Murray and the other dude that didn’t make the pros this year. This list of 19 QBs includes South Carolina’s Bentley, but does not include Missouri's Bryant and Oklahoma’s Jaylen Hurts, both of which will likely go pro. We have to play two of these teams this year.

So, I am not sure where you are getting your info from, but if you look at all the evidence of what next year’s draft will look like, next year’s draft looks like it is going to be stacked. Additionally, you are talking about a QB going pro a year after barely cracking 1,900 yards with only TWELVE touchdowns all year last year against a list of 19 QBs who threw for over 2500 that doesn’t even include star transfers like Bryant and Hurts. Absolutely nothing points to him going pro that has actually occurred.

JG’s best opportunity as it stands today is to wait, and Tennessee’s chances will look REALLY GOOD. JG has to more than double his TD numbers this year and at least put up another 750 yards to even be considered as a possibility for the 2021 draft. I think he does that and has a great shot in 2021! Go JG and go VOLS!

Last edited:
I have been saying the same about losing receivers mainly because I didn’t do the same research that I did with the rest of the team. I am glad I did, and I hate to say it, but we are both wrong. Tennessee will have last year’s second best receiver returning as a senior with some what to looks like right we will have over 13 returning receivers with great potential already shown at WR between Murphy and Palmer (see below). I know that probably has everything to do with Jennings getting hurt, but the fact remains Palmer was our second best receiver as a sophomore and outperformed everyone else on our team and was FIRST in SEC for yards per catch.

I would imagine Johnson had a lot to do with Palmer’s improvements. With him AND Tee Martin on our coaching staff, they should be pretty good by next year and we probably will see some good receivers from that many returning players (many of which are currently underclassmen).

Then we will have new talent. It isn’t rare for a Freshman to come in, perform well and play early. We have seen it a lot before. We will have incredible competition and a senior at QB and I think we will sign a BC WR this year because of that.

Jordan Murphy - 2018 - SOPHOMORE
  • 2018 Game-by-Game Stats
  • Games/Starts: 10/1
  • Showed flashes of his big play ability in his second season on Rocky Top
  • Had 11 catches for 155 yards and a touchdown with a longest of 50 yards on the season, while appearing in 10 games with one start
  • Finished the season with two carries for 58 yards
  • Had two catches for 11 yards at Vanderbilt (11/24)
  • Had a career-long run on a reverse that he took for 59 yards to set up a score in win over No. 11 Kentucky (11/10)
  • His 59-yard run was the second-longest play from scrimmage for the Vols this season
  • Made his first-career touchdown catch in home opener against ETSU (9/8), a 50-yard catch and run in the fourth quarter
  • Career-high three catches and 75 yards receiving against ETSU (9/8)
  • Had a catch for five yards in the season opener against West Virginia (9/1)

Josh Palmer - 2018 - SOPHOMORE
  • 2018 Game-by-Game Stats
  • Games/Starts: 12/8
  • Improved by leaps and bounds in this second season with the Vols
  • Saw action in all 12 games for the Vols while starting in eight contests
  • Finished the season first in the SEC and tied for fifth in the nation in yards per catch (21.0)
  • Hauled in 23 catches and ranked second on the team with 484 receiving yards and two touchdowns while averaging 40.3 yards per game
  • Had five carries for 27 yards and a touchdown
  • Led the Vols with 10-20-yard plus plays
  • Capped season with two catches for 22 yards at Vanderbilt (11/24)
  • Leads the SEC and ranks third in the nation in yards per catch (22.0)
  • Second on the team with 462 receiving yards while averaging 42.0 yards per game
  • Had two catches for 23 yards against Missouri (11/17)
  • Had a team-high four catches for 71 yards and a touchdown in win over Charlotte (11/3)
  • Leads the team with nine 20-yard plus plays
  • Had one catch for 30 yards against No. 1 Alabama (10/20)
  • Had three catches for a career-high 84 yards in win at No. 21 Auburn (10/13)
  • Hauled in a 37-yard pass from Jarrett Guarantano for his first-career touchdown catch at No. 2 Georgia (9/29)
  • Had a career-long 53-yard reception and career-high 64 receiving yards in win over UTEP (9/15)
  • Recorded his first-career rushing touchdown and had 51 yards receiving in home opener against ETSU (9/8)
  • Had a career-high three receptions for 33 yards in the season opener against West Virginia (9/1)
If JG puts together a good enough year to go pro, the Palmer will likely be leaving too.

Only 2 declared early the year before and I have been reading that early departures rarely work out.

Look at this link:

There will be 7 Juniors from this list, because Haskins already left. Fromm and Tua Tag are all more likely candidates to leave early. Both have been talked about leaving early often and both have already been injured. So, that makes five Juniors all of which have our performed JG and will be seniors next year. Kellen Mond who is in this list and Franks who is not on this list and are SEC program QBs who have outperformed JG. Eason is the better QB as well and will also have two years. I think he stays, but who really knows?

Regardless, there are TWENTY ONE QBs on this list that will be seniors this year, but yeah only 19 will go because two of which are already gone and those are Murray and the other dude that didn’t make the pros this year. This list of 19 QBs includes South Carolina’s Bentley, but does not include Missouri's Bryant and Oklahoma’s Jaylen Hurts, both of which will likely go pro. We have to play two of these teams this year.

So, I am not sure where you are getting your info from, but if you look at all the evidence of what next year’s draft will look like, next year’s draft looks like it is going to be stacked. Additionally, you are talking about a QB going pro a year after barely cracking 1,900 yards with only TWELVE touchdowns all year last year against a list of 19 QBs who threw for over 2500 that doesn’t even include star transfers like Bryant and Hurts. Absolutely nothing points to him going pro that has actually occurred.

JG’s best opportunity as it stands today is to wait, and Tennessee’s chances will look REALLY GOOD. JG has to more than double his TD numbers this year and at least put up another 750 yards to even be considered as a possibility for the 2021 draft. I think he does that and has a great shot in 2021! Go JG and go VOLS!

By no means am I suggesting JGs stats are good enough to be drafted ahead of the well known QBs. I think that after some of the QBs on the available list the rest are a sack of potatoes and JG may risk the chance of being a late round pickup in the 2020 draft rather than waiting for 2021. Of course, the XFL will need some guys too.

I hope he has a great season. I’m no JG hater and want him to take a giant leap forward. I’m just pointing out the possibility and making the case for taking 2 QBs in our 2020 class.

By no means am I suggesting JGs stats are good enough to be drafted ahead of the well known QBs. I think that after some of the QBs on the available list the rest are a sack of potatoes and JG may risk the chance of being a late round pickup in the 2020 draft rather than waiting for 2021. Of course, the XFL will need some guys too.

I hope he has a great season. I’m no JG hater and want him to take a giant leap forward. I’m just pointing out the possibility and making the case for taking 2 QBs in our 2020 class.

Haha this is all about King isn’t it!!!

If JG puts together a good enough year to go pro, the Palmer will likely be leaving too.

Yeah, again with Fromm, Eason, Tag, Mond, Franks all having better careers and all experiencing injuries already, I see them taking the chance sooner than JG. If that happens they joint Hurts, Bryant, Bentley and some others in a very crowded field. I don’t expect JG to have the season to go pro but even if so, I think he waits one more year. Calloway and Jennings will be the ones going pro and Palmer will be THE DUDE both his and JG’s year to dramatically increase their draft stock. I think JG competes next year avoiding further competion with Tag, Bentley, Fromm, Bryant and Hurts once again only this time with his livelihood for the foreseeable future. It makes more sense to wait, increase his stick behind a ridiculous OL and with a stout D and goes against Eason, Franks, Mond, and all of them get drafted. Palmer will benefit greatly from JG waiting because our OL will be incredible. They both will be sure fire megapaid, be early hopeful draftees risking it all to go in a later round and get paid.

This will bode well for Tennessee too. I don’t know if anyone has noticed but our roster is starting to round out with a balanced class each year. If everyone returns next year we will have a better chance than we have seen since Tee Martin’s second year where we easily could have played again for an NC. Once these guys play it out, there are a boatload of hungry players at each position and at each class ready to go while other programs will be losing players early. One of the costs of playing people early. This move will get us out of the injury issue mostly, which protects the players and keeps a healthy team.

So, I hope these guys return, win big in 2020 and then go and we pay our staff a ridiculous amount of money to stay until Pruitt’s 5th year to do it again, at which point he may choose to be a lifer or hand the reigns over to Tee or someone else.

Sounds good huh? Root for that! Gooooo Voooolllssss!!!

(PS, I do hope that JG plays well enough for you to argue with me all season and to the point where I have to hope JG stays)

Back to King and Bailey.... In a couple of years (when they get a chance to start because I highly doubt JG leaves early or transfers) HB should be around 6'5" 235-240. That's a big boy throwing darts. He was timed running a 4.8 forty yard dash. While not elite it's not slow either. King will likely be 6'3" and around 210. He was the fastest QB at the elite 11 (4.52 40 time) and is a 3 sport athlete. King is definitely the superior athlete. It's hard to go wrong with either one. The question is who would you rather have of your team is built around having a dominating defense.

Reactions: LittleVol
Back to King and Bailey.... In a couple of years (when they get a chance to start because I highly doubt JG leaves early or transfers) HB should be around 6'5" 235-240. That's a big boy throwing darts. He was timed running a 4.8 forty yard dash. While not elite it's not slow either. King will likely be 6'3" and around 210. He was the fastest QB at the elite 11 (4.52 40 time) and is a 3 sport athlete. King is definitely the superior athlete. It's hard to go wrong with either one. The question is who would you rather have of your team is built around having a dominating defense.

Can't argue with any of this.

I'll add that Bailey or King won't have to play early. They can red-shirt and be ready by RSSo years. 2021 is when either guy has to be ready full go. By then this program will be rolling. If we don't beat Bama this year, I think 2021 (not 2020) is when it happens.

This year we have a ton of experience blended with some young talented guys.
Offense and defense.

In 2020 we lose a lot at WR and LB

I'll add that Bailey or King won't have to play early. They can red-shirt and be ready by RSSo years. 2021 is when either guy has to be ready full go. By then this program will be rolling. If we don't beat Bama this year, I think 2021 (not 2020) is when it happens.

Offense and defense.

Our chances are much better of beating Georgia than Bama. They will be playing with a chip on their shoulders and way to much offensive firepower to overcome. They have 4 of the best WR's in the country and maybe the 2nd best college QB throwing to them. Then Najee Harris as the featured back this year. That's a lot of future NFL talent to have to stop.

Offense and defense.

A74CAC1F-0BD6-4A11-8249-6421809543E5.gif

NFL franchises, that pour millions into players, are smart enough to not focus on gross numbers and look at efficiency numbers. JG was efficient and had a 141 QBR.

Besides.....Daniel Jones...

Reactions: Sleegro

Look at this link:

Bryant and Hurts are seniors.

NFL franchises, that pour millions into players, are smart enough to not focus on gross numbers and look at efficiency numbers. JG was efficient and had a 141 QBR.

Prolly just me, but it would be a special kind of funny if Daniel Jones ends up a quality franchise QB and we can reference the Haskins smirk.

Bryant and Hurts are seniors.
Yes I know. May not have clarified that well enough. I was saying they will be a part of the class JG is competing against if he leaves early on top of the juniors who have outperformed him so far that have more of a case to go pro to date than he does.

They look at attempts when they look at efficiency. For example 20 for 30 is better than 10 for 10 in most cases. They care about yards per attempt as well. 20 3 yard passes vs 10 15 yard passes is not better lol.

Not sure I understand your reference to Jones?

Yes I know. May not have clarified that well enough. I was saying they will be a part of the class JG is competing against if he leaves early on top of the juniors who have outperformed him so far that have more of a case to go pro to date than he does.
Your statement “both of which will likely go pro” made it a little murky for me.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
They look at attempts when they look at efficiency. For example 20 for 30 is better than 10 for 10 in most cases. They care about yards per attempt as well. 20 3 yard passes vs 10 15 yard passes is not better lol.

Not sure I understand your reference to Jones?
Maybe that he toiled in virtual anonymity for 5 years, developed and got paid. One year ago today, he wasn’t on any notable radar. It’s how you end up.

VN Store

Back