USA TODAY Elite 11 QBs..Interesting Breakdowns

If Matt Simms can make an NFL roster, JG can surely make one too...
Redo the math. JG’s Dad is not Phil Simms and Matt finished college. He also was not drafted and played one season in the NFL. JG might go that route after his senior year if he is not drafted, but he is not leaving college early to go try out for the pros when he has a full season behind a promising line with great coaches waiting for him to return. I just hope Chandler returns with him, but that is the most likely early departure. Not JG. 2020 is our year and JG will be competing with Bailey. Mark it down.

Reactions: RollerVol
Crompton too.........

Compton, just like Simms, finished his college career and threw for 2800 yards and threw for 27 TDs. See below. Not even a close comparison YET.

2009 seasonEdit
When Lane Kiffin was hired as head coach of the Volunteers, he named Crompton the starting quarterback prior to the 2009 season.[19][20]Crompton, as a senior, finally achieved some success with the program. In Kiffin's first game as the Volunteers' head coach, Crompton had a great outing with 233 passing yards, five touchdowns, and two interceptions in the 63–7 home victory over the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers.[21][22] Crompton led Tennessee to an upset 45-19 home rout of the Georgia Bulldogs[23] and was named the AT&TNational Player of the Week. In a game at Bryant–Denny Stadium in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, against undefeated, top-ranked, and eventual national champion Alabama, Crompton's passing had Tennessee in position for a game-winning field goal in the final seconds, only to see the kick blocked by Terrence Cody as the Crimson Tide escaped with a 12–10 win.[24][25] Crompton won five of his last seven starts in the regular season before the Vols lost 37–14 to Virginia Tech in the Chick-fil-a Bowl.[26] Crompton finished the season with 27 touchdown passes, 13 interceptions, and a 58.3% completion percentage.[27] He surpassed Heath Shuler's single-season best of 25 touchdown passes at Tennessee.

I read the report of the 11 QB's with great interest......They wrote very little about Bailey, and a great deal about King. Why is this.

Is VN, as a whole, favoring one quarterback over another?

As a preference, I like a quarterback that can move some...I was spoiled by Dobbs's wheels...But, I also like a strong passer, like Bailey appears to be....

Is there a chance we can get both? I know there is no set answer to that, but some of you guys have great foresight....

Anyway guys, Vols all the way.

How did H. King fair at the Elite 11

Harrison Bailey, Marietta (Ga.); committed to Tennessee
Speaking of a good starting point: Bailey isn’t a finished product nor the steadiest thrower in attendance, but the physical gifts are clear when he sets his stance and delivers a powerful pass downfield. Bailey has a great frame.

Haynes King, Longview (Texas); uncommitted
King has been impressive every step of the way, drawing praise for his consistency, athleticism and approach to the position. The mental side shouldn’t be surprising: King’s father, John, led Longview to the 2018 6-A state title and is considered among the best high school coaches in Texas. King ran a 4.51 40-yard dash during testing and is “just crazy, twitchy fast,” Johnson said.
“He’s the most athletic one here by far. As a coach’s kid, with that athleticism and that mindset, that’s as good a chance you can have. I would put a lot of coins his way that he’s going to ultimately be successful.”
He’s not always perfect: King’s throws will sometimes dip and come in low, which could be a matter of a slight tweak to his delivery or fatigue setting in during a pretty demanding afternoon. Overall, however, he’s been terrific. (Coaches also loved the fact that he’s been on Twitter for more than a year and only tweeted 18 times.)

I read the report of the 11 QB's with great interest......They wrote very little about Bailey, and a great deal about King. Why is this.

Is VN, as a whole, favoring one quarterback over another?

As a preference, I like a quarterback that can move some...I was spoiled by Dobbs's wheels...But, I also like a strong passer, like Bailey appears to be....

Is there a chance we can get both? I know there is no set answer to that, but some of you guys have great foresight....

Anyway guys, Vols all the way.

Bailey got great press. I am a marketer, one of the best in Knoxville at that. I was interviewed by Las Vegas Business Press Newspaper due to my pulse on all things marketing.

Here is the reason. Bailey already committed. King has not. So, more people want to read about King as he is still up for grabs which intrigues people all over the country. I think King got more press than any of them on this particular article.

Attachments

• AF2D320E-C9AF-411C-9976-F837A94AA211.jpeg
    AF2D320E-C9AF-411C-9976-F837A94AA211.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 34
Redo the math. JG’s Dad is not Phil Simms and Matt finished college. He also was not drafted and played one season in the NFL. JG might go that route after his senior year if he is not drafted, but he is not leaving college early to go try out for the pros when he has a full season behind a promising line with great coaches waiting for him to return. I just hope Chandler returns with him, but that is the most likely early departure. Not JG. 2020 is our year and JG will be competing with Bailey. Mark it down.

Does JG want to return? At that point the guy has been in college forever. “X” is pretty connected to the program and is hearing JG to the pros coming from the JG camp. TIFWIW

I keep reading this. It is not impossible, but there is absolutely nothing that implies that it is even remotely likely nor is there any real supporting logic. One good season will be very unlikely to send any QB to the pros early. With a ridiculous amount of linemen returning their senior year and a real chance to win the East, it will reflect very poorly on JG to leave. The odds are so incredibly high that he returns, I just don’t get these radical statements.
Agree. Look at what JG loses at WR after this year.
His TE and two tip WR targets. I’d say he either puts together a good senior year and leaves for the NFL or he becomes a grad transfer.

Harrison Bailey is the best pocket passer of this class by far. Haynes just brings another dimension. Either one is good but I prefer the guy you can throw it
Both can throw it.

Harrison Bailey is the best pocket passer of this class by far. Haynes just brings another dimension. Either one is good but I prefer the guy you can throw it
King threw for 3877yards, 42 TD's, only 4 INT's and won a state championship in the highest classification in Texas as a junior. I'd say he's pretty good at throwing it.

Agree. Look at what JG loses at WR after this year.
His TE and two tip WR targets. I’d say he either puts together a good senior year and leaves for the NFL or he becomes a grad transfer.

I have been saying the same about losing receivers mainly because I didn’t do the same research that I did with the rest of the team. I am glad I did, and I hate to say it, but we are both wrong. Tennessee will have last year’s second best receiver returning as a senior with some what looks to be right now over 13 returning receivers with great potential already shown at WR between Murphy and Palmer (see below). I know that probably has everything to do with Jennings getting hurt, but the fact remains Palmer was our second best receiver as a sophomore and outperformed everyone else on our team and was FIRST in SEC for yards per catch.

I would imagine Johnson had a lot to do with Palmer’s improvements. With him AND Tee Martin on our coaching staff, they should be pretty good by next year and we probably will see some good receivers from that many returning players (many of which are currently underclassmen).

Then we will have new talent. It isn’t rare for a Freshman to come in, perform well and play early. We have seen it a lot before. We will have incredible competition and a senior at QB and I think we will sign a BC WR this year because of that.

Jordan Murphy - 2018 - SOPHOMORE
  • 2018 Game-by-Game Stats
  • Games/Starts: 10/1
  • Showed flashes of his big play ability in his second season on Rocky Top
  • Had 11 catches for 155 yards and a touchdown with a longest of 50 yards on the season, while appearing in 10 games with one start
  • Finished the season with two carries for 58 yards
  • Had two catches for 11 yards at Vanderbilt (11/24)
  • Had a career-long run on a reverse that he took for 59 yards to set up a score in win over No. 11 Kentucky (11/10)
  • His 59-yard run was the second-longest play from scrimmage for the Vols this season
  • Made his first-career touchdown catch in home opener against ETSU (9/8), a 50-yard catch and run in the fourth quarter
  • Career-high three catches and 75 yards receiving against ETSU (9/8)
  • Had a catch for five yards in the season opener against West Virginia (9/1)

Josh Palmer - 2018 - SOPHOMORE
  • 2018 Game-by-Game Stats
  • Games/Starts: 12/8
  • Improved by leaps and bounds in this second season with the Vols
  • Saw action in all 12 games for the Vols while starting in eight contests
  • Finished the season first in the SEC and tied for fifth in the nation in yards per catch (21.0)
  • Hauled in 23 catches and ranked second on the team with 484 receiving yards and two touchdowns while averaging 40.3 yards per game
  • Had five carries for 27 yards and a touchdown
  • Led the Vols with 10-20-yard plus plays
  • Capped season with two catches for 22 yards at Vanderbilt (11/24)
  • Leads the SEC and ranks third in the nation in yards per catch (22.0)
  • Second on the team with 462 receiving yards while averaging 42.0 yards per game
  • Had two catches for 23 yards against Missouri (11/17)
  • Had a team-high four catches for 71 yards and a touchdown in win over Charlotte (11/3)
  • Leads the team with nine 20-yard plus plays
  • Had one catch for 30 yards against No. 1 Alabama (10/20)
  • Had three catches for a career-high 84 yards in win at No. 21 Auburn (10/13)
  • Hauled in a 37-yard pass from Jarrett Guarantano for his first-career touchdown catch at No. 2 Georgia (9/29)
  • Had a career-long 53-yard reception and career-high 64 receiving yards in win over UTEP (9/15)
  • Recorded his first-career rushing touchdown and had 51 yards receiving in home opener against ETSU (9/8)
  • Had a career-high three receptions for 33 yards in the season opener against West Virginia (9/1)

Last edited:
Does JG want to return? At that point the guy has been in college forever. “X” is pretty connected to the program and is hearing JG to the pros coming from the JG camp. TIFWIW

It is very very rare for QBs to leave early. Rarer for them to leave early after one good season which he has yet to even have. No scouting reports out there or analysts are talking about him on the pros and most people with pro mentality aren’t thinking about the pros before they ever have a good season.

Most mentors have a very realistic outlook on players and tell them to keep their mind focused on today. So, whoever in “JG’s” camp is saying the guy will go pro is probably not JG and someone who just think he looks good. No offense, but people “connected to the program” also were saying Gruden was coming to Tennessee.

It is very very rare for QBs to leave early. Rarer for them to leave early after one good season which he has yet to even have. No scouting reports out there or analysts are talking about him on the pros and most people with pro mentality aren’t thinking about the pros before they ever have a good season.

Most mentors have a very realistic outlook on players and tell them to keep their mind focused on today. So, whoever in “JG’s” camp is saying the guy will go pro is probably not JG and someone who just think he looks good. No offense, but people “connected to the program” also were saying Gruden was coming to Tennessee.
It's not rare at all for QBs to leave early for the NFL. What sport are you watching?

It's not rare at all for QBs to leave early for the NFL. What sport are you watching?

Dude. It is rare for anyone to go pro, let alone a QB that leaves early.

I am watching the sport that had:

College players: 67,887
Draftees: 255

It is called college football and these are called statistics.

That is .375% of a chance a player goes pro.

But hey we are talking about QBs right? Ok well let’s do that.

Out of the near 500 college QBs that were enrolled last year, it seems about 130 played. Two went pro and went early. Kyle Murray and Dwayne Haskins.

That is 1.5% of all PLAYING QBs went pro last year.
Pretty darn rare.

Reactions: Bret178
Out of the near 500 college QBs that were enrolled last year, it seems about 130 played. Two went pro and went early. Kyle Murray and Dwayne Haskins.

Pretty darn rare.

Just two guys declared early or just 2 guys made rosters?

My point is I think he declares early despite the prospects of making a team or he just grad transfers.

My point is I think he declares early despite the prospects of making a team or he just grad transfers.
it'll certainly be an option. though as it stands today, grad transfer seems the more likely of the two, if he were to decide to leave that is.

i for one would love it if he left for the draft and got picked up. that'd be awesome.

Reactions: Jack Burton
Dude. It is rare for anyone to go pro, let alone a QB that leaves early.

I am watching the sport that had:

College players: 67,887
Draftees: 255

It is called college football and these are called statistics.

That is .375% of a chance a player goes pro.

But hey we are talking about QBs right? Ok well let’s do that.

Pretty darn rare.
Interesting perspective but you’re skewing everything by cherry picking stats. Better stat would be the percentage of players that received a certain grade going back. There’s rare exceptions like Luck who had a first round grade and went back but mostly whether a guy declares or not is determined by their draft grade and whether they think they can improve it with another year.

Interesting perspective but you’re skewing everything by cherry picking stats. Better stat would be the percentage of players that received a certain grade going back. There’s rare exceptions like Luck who had a first round grade and went back but mostly whether a guy declares or not is determined by their draft grade and whether they think they can improve it with another year.

Not cherry picking stats at all. It shows how rare it is for a QB to go pro. JG does not have an NFL grade at this juncture, so it is all speculation which is unfounded. Only fair comparisons are stats for QBs who have made it and those who have not yet. Less than 1% of QBs make it and of those who have, they put up stats that double JG’s best year.

I will use your example of Luck:
3715 best year

Kyler Murray
4361 best year

Dwayne Haskins

JG
1907 best year so far

Reactions: VolFaninFla

Three declared and only 2 made it. I don’t see him leaving. Why would he? His second best receiver is returning. His entire line is returning. He has a great back field and our D will be returning most of their guys.... we should be the best we have been since JG has made it to campus. He probably will have some new talent to throw to by then too when you consider both Johnson AND Martin are on staff and Chaney is coaching him. Why in the world would he leave?

Reactions: Bret178

VN Store

Back