Restaurants Around The Country

There’s a Nashville restaurant thread that you will find a ton of info in.

You looking to walk or willing to lyft 5-10 minutes away?

I just made a reservation at Bob's. They had one in Plano when we lived in Texas, I think she will get a kick out of going back to one.

Ate at a place in Largo, Florida (Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater Area) called The Spot Sushi Burrito last night. It’s two restaurants in one.
I loved it, was packed. Met a person there that drove an hour away just to eat at this place.
I ordered from the sushi side where you create your own bowl or burrito, so did my daughter. Think of Chipotle but for sushi. My mom ordered from the other side.
The other side is a full menu of Vietnamese cuisine.
I think it's the first of it’s kind in this area.

Here is a link:
The Spot | Sushi Burritos and More
I now realize that the bowls are a popular item called ‘poke’ which is a dish from Hawaii. These Poke places are popping up all over Tampa Bay. I’m addicted to them, anyone try one yet?
BA4F54DB-DFDF-461D-B910-C2C832680567.jpeg

Universal Orlando:
Chocolate Emporium (chocolate dipped bacon, milkshakes)
NBC Sports Grill and Brew(good flight selections)
Antojitos
Leaky Cauldron (has my first traditional English Breakfast, was not disappointed, Butterbeer was decent)
Hot Dog Hall of Fame (eat hotdogs and watch live sports outside)
Big Fire was the best.
I know it’s expensive but it’s all really good food.
My wife and I are at Big Fire for 70$
At home I usually cook myself and don’t eat out much at all.

Reactions: MAD
We just drove up from Florida through Savannah and into Sevierville.

Savannah - The Lady and Sons - Paula Deen's restaurant. Was disappointing. Food was average and the place was dirty.

Tybee Island - The Original Crab House. Typical waterfront raw bar
kind of place. Crabs were good. First time I've had a garbage can in the middle of the table. LOL
77D0ED5B-7F7D-4013-A3D5-9C1C3B1A01DC.jpeg

And last but not least, Doc's 321 in Cosby, Tn. Doc has a bus converted into a restaurant. We heard the pulled pork is good, but unfortunately a bear took it off the smoker before we got there. LOL Better visit before he goes big time, new for next year is an additional double decker bus.
IMG_3351.jpeg

Uncle Bud's has some really good catfish. We have not tried the Boro location, only the one in Donelson.
Used to be a burger joint in the Boro called Buster's Burgers. No idea if it is still open, but it was darn good. Just don't complain about how long it takes or you may not ever get your food.

http://unclebuds.com/
Prepare your taste buds...

We just drove up from Florida through Savannah and into Sevierville.

Savannah - The Lady and Sons - Paula Deen's restaurant. Was disappointing. Food was average and the place was dirty.

Tybee Island - The Original Crab House. Typical waterfront raw bar
kind of place. Crabs were good. First time I've had a garbage can in the middle of the table. LOL
View attachment 233473

And last but not least, Doc's 321 in Cosby, Tn. Doc has a bus converted into a restaurant. We heard the pulled pork is good, but unfortunately a bear took it off the smoker before we got there. LOL Better visit before he goes big time, new for next year is an additional double decker bus.
View attachment 233474
Great review. 👍

Jollibee Pinellas Park
4057 Park Blvd N, Ste 120
Pinellas Park, Florida, 33781
(727) 551-4554

It’s a chain but blows any other chicken place I’ve been to.
50C44FEC-3C65-4414-9C20-33F1F06AA0E2.jpeg

Reactions: Boca Vol
Two from my time in NE FL:

España (Fernandina Beach) - Excellent Spanish and Portuguese food, great atmosphere, great service. If I had to pick a 'last meal' from any restaurant, it would be from this place.

Chowder Ted's (Duval County, on Hecksher Drive between Jacksonville and Amelia Island) - A great casual lunch spot with fantastic fresh seafood. Their burger is good too. My personal favorite is the Minorcan seafood chowder (which may not sound like a light summer/beach meal, but trust me...it's dandy).

One from a visit to Pittsburgh, PA: Max's Allegheny Tavern - Excellent authentic German and Eastern European food and an impressive selection of German beers. It's tucked away in Deutschtown neighborhood north of the Allegheny River...most of the folks in there were regulars, but were friendly as can be. If you're catching a game at PNC Park, it's not too far away.

Lawrenceville, GA: Los Recuerdos Colombian restuarant - Tasty (and authentic, from what my Colombian wife tells me) eats! The sobrebarriga was quite good, as were the buñelos.

Last edited:
Years ago there was a restaurant in Cosby, “The Front Porch” that fused Mexican with good ole Hillbilly down home cookin. Been out of East Tn for several years now and wondering if it’s still there.

Years ago there was a restaurant in Cosby, “The Front Porch” that fused Mexican with good ole Hillbilly down home cookin. Been out of East Tn for several years now and wondering if it’s still there.
Sounded like a cool place, unfortunately it’s closed.
Found this…
“Yes...This was a wonderful place to eat but due to the new direction of HY 321 the restaurant will now be taken in by the highway. Originally proposed to go behind the property to the east. It has now included all of the Front porch property as part of the highway easement.

Not a good choice as the property will be taken by the state of Tennessee.”

I now realize that the bowls are a popular item called ‘poke’ which is a dish from Hawaii. These Poke places are popping up all over Tampa Bay. I’m addicted to them, anyone try one yet?
View attachment 231721
I used to live in Hawaii, and I love poke. I don’t like these restaurants that market it, and give you a bowl of rice with a little scoop of fish on top

Bradenton, FL -MJ's Steakhouse

OBX- Kill Devil Grill

LC/Mur'vul- Allison's Catfish Farm & Rest.

I’ll just post random places I’ve been to recently that I think are worth mentioning.

Gyros on Main. Covington KY
f94e5d7a-6117-4b77-bfb4-838236d8fe91-smallScale_CVIOXgyrosonmain3.jpg

Excellent Gyros. Covington is a very cool little neighborhood that was a bustling and then run down river town but is now seeing a resurgence. Still has a lot of old charm.

Last edited:
I used to live in Hawaii, and I love poke. I don’t like these restaurants that market it, and give you a bowl of rice with a little scoop of fish on top
I imagine that’s the place to get the authentic poke.

Bradenton, FL -MJ's Steakhouse

OBX- Kill Devil Grill

LC/Mur'vul- Allison's Catfish Farm & Rest.
Lived in Bradenton 5 or 6 years, I kept meaning to try Michael Johns but never made it, had trouble finding a decent steak while I lived there, guess the best I had that was consistent was Bone Fish. I did enjoy going to Lee Roy Selmans, sucked they closed.

Sounded like a cool place, unfortunately it’s closed.
Found this…
“Yes...This was a wonderful place to eat but due to the new direction of HY 321 the restaurant will now be taken in by the highway. Originally proposed to go behind the property to the east. It has now included all of the Front porch property as part of the highway easement.

Not a good choice as the property will be taken by the state of Tennessee.”
Thanks. Not too surprising; it was a converted farm house with a full length porch(duh). Had local bluegrass on weekends, BYOB, and some choice local selections if you knew who to ask. And then only after they got to know you!

Reactions: SpecialKVolfan20
Lived in Bradenton 5 or 6 years, I kept meaning to try Michael Johns but never made it, had trouble finding a decent steak while I lived there, guess the best I had that was consistent was Bone Fish. I did enjoy going to Lee Roy Selmans, sucked they closed.

MJ's is legit. It sounds like you lived near Univ./ Lakewood Ranch area. If so, you wouldn't believe what it looks like now. Stores & restaurants everywhere.

It's been several years since I've been there but Elvira's Cafe in Wears Valley is very good. And the general store next to it is cool.

Reactions: SpecialKVolfan20

VN Store

Back