Urban Meyer under investigation.

IluvdoubleD's

Sir Loves
He supposedly said that he let vaccination status make roster choices, and that would be illegal. This will probably get explosive.

F4AA776F-7343-4122-AD7E-CDE752BEDA12.jpeg

Is that illegal though? It's a coaching staff decision. I figured every coach would take it into consideration. 2 guys fighting for the same roster spot. Negligible differences other than 1 is vaccinated and the other isn't.

This isn't the same thing as just cutting unvaccinated players that the NFL warned the Bills about a few months ago. Teams are prohibited from cutting players solely due to their vaccination status.

Reactions: chrismc1000
I don’t know if this would be illegal. Unvaccinated are not a protected class. Might be against the NFLPA rules, but not illegal.
Yeah, not illegal, but definitely something that the union would be interested in pursuing.

If you have to forfeit games in case of a COVID outbreak among your team, it is totally rational for that to influence the decision on cuts. Especially if the margin is thin to begin with.

Yeah, not illegal, but definitely something that the union would be interested in pursuing.

If you have to forfeit games in case of a COVID outbreak among your team, it is totally rational for that to influence the decision on cuts. Especially if the margin is thin to begin with.

The NFLPA is apparently looking into Meyer's comments. And he was really dumb to say them publicly. But absolutely no one should kid themselves: vaccination status played a major part in several of yesterday's cuts. I would argue that Mac Jones is the new starting QB in New England in part because Cam Newton isn't vaccinated.

Is there a past situation that equates to the idea of cutting players based on something such as vaccinated vs unvaccinated. I’m not following how this is a legal thing to do. Just curious if there are similar instances.

He said what every other NFL coach is thinking and doing as well. Team owners are not going to risk having to forfeit games because of a covid outbreak that could have been mitigated or outright eliminated if the players are vaccinated; too much money on the line.

Yes, but you simply can not say it to the reporters. It is a violation of Federal law. HIPAA.

So the NFL implements absurd Covid standards/rules and then coaches are not supposed to factor the absurd rules into personnel decisions? That makes a lot of sense.

He said what every other NFL coach is thinking and doing as well. Team owners are not going to risk having to forfeit games because of a covid outbreak that could have been mitigated or outright eliminated if the players are vaccinated; too much money on the line.
But what if the vaccinated players get it, and they have to forfeit anyway? Not arguing you, I just know a bunch of people who have it now, and they've been vaccinated. It could still be an issue, especially with yet another new variant reported today, the shot only lasting a few months, and basically useless against the delta.

Is there a past situation that equates to the idea of cutting players based on something such as vaccinated vs unvaccinated. I’m not following how this is a legal thing to do. Just curious if there are similar instances.
Equates no. But kinda similar yes. The Bills gm said a few months back that he would cut unvaccinated players to help the team have immunity and have a normal offseason. The NFL told him you can’t cut players based solely on vaccine status.

Meyer's remarks on Jags' cuts spark NFLPA probe

But that’s not what Urban is saying he did. He’s saying it’s something they would factor in when making cuts. Say for example they have one too many linebackers. The two guys fighting for the same spot have the same skill set/potential/age/etc. If one is vaccinated and the other isn’t it could be a deciding factor. Or maybe it’s a huge factor and Urban isn’t letting on just how much they weigh it.

I’d think it would be hard to penalize a team for cutting someone that happens to be unvaccinated.

Meyer is going to fail in a major way! The fact he was hired is laughable. He's not going to be able to out-talent teams in the NFL like he did in college. Not that he's a horrible coach, but it won't translate.

But what if the vaccinated players get it, and they have to forfeit anyway? Not arguing you, I just know a bunch of people who have it now, and they've been vaccinated. It could still be an issue, especially with yet another new variant reported today, the shot only lasting a few months, and basically useless against the delta.

How's that relevant to the fact that from an owner or coach's perspective, that you are less likely to become infected with the vaccination than not, and that recovery time and severity is lessened in most cases?

Remove the emotion and the politics from the equation, from a monetary standpoint, insisting on vaccination is the better business choice.

How's that relevant to the fact that from an owner or coach's perspective, that you are less likely to become infected with the vaccination than not, and that recovery time and severity is lessened in most cases?

Remove the emotion and the politics from the equation, from a monetary standpoint, insisting on vaccination is the better business choice.
My question wasn't politically based. I get what you're saying, and not against anybody getting it if they choose. I just wonder what will be the case if they do have an outbreak, and they're all vaccinated. Will they still have to forfeit, and who would get the blame. I sincerely wasn't arguing your post, or your point in this one, it just made me wonder.

Reactions: ArdentVol
My question wasn't politically based. I get what you're saying, and not against anybody getting it if they choose. I just wonder what will be the case if they do have an outbreak, and they're all vaccinated. Will they still have to forfeit, and who would get the blame. I sincerely wasn't arguing your post, or your point in this one, it just made me wonder.

I'm just saying that from the perspective of an NFL franchise owner, this is a pure business decision. Setting a vaccine mandate as a business policy, is risk mitigation, and from a financial standpoint, it makes more sense to do so than not.

Reactions: ArdentVol
I'm just saying that from the perspective of an NFL franchise owner, this is a pure business decision. Setting a vaccine mandate as a business policy, is risk mitigation, and from a financial standpoint, it makes more sense to do so than not.
It's not AT ALL the decision Meyer made that's in question. It's that he let the "calculus".... the deciding criteria..... become public that matters.

He's green to the NFL. This ain't tOSU or FL where you're the big D#¢k coach in town and anything stupid you say gets whitewashed away.

His O Line is trash and may get Lawrence..... Burrowed..... brutalized..... buried. These QBs need to learn to Eli these crap teams and tell them I'm not risking my ACL so you SOBs can draft a decent QB.

It's not AT ALL the decision Meyer made that's in question. It's that he let the "calculus".... the deciding criteria..... become public that matters.

He's green to the NFL. This ain't tOSU or FL where you're the big D#¢k coach in town and anything stupid you say gets whitewashed away.

His O Line is trash and may get Lawrence..... Burrowed..... brutalized..... buried. These QBs need to learn to Eli these crap teams and tell them I'm not risking my ACL so you SOBs can draft a decent QB.

Like I said, unless there's some sort of provision in collective bargaining agreement that stipulates that covid 19 vaccine status can't be used as a determining factor in being cut or not, he's not in the wrong nor is he violating any actual law if he were to cut any player who refused to get vaccinated.

He just said what every other coach and owner is thinking and doing without saying.

VN Store

Back