Urban Meyer to Jaguars

Jaws

Urban Meyer to the Jags is sounding like a done deal, expecting a press conference today.

As a long-suffering Jags fan, I’m all in! CEO-type, proven winner, knows the area, knows Gainesville, FL is basically Jacksonville West...

I’m loving this hire. If Meyer gets the Jags to winning again he’s be the most beloved sports figure in NE Florida history.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I wish him success. I am hoping a few more college coaches make the jump so we can get some new coaching around the country. I really think he can do well. I may regret that statement (Titans perspective).

Reactions: Jaws
Urban Meyer to the Jags is sounding like a done deal, expecting a press conference today.

As a long-suffering Jags fan, I’m all in! CEO-type, proven winner, knows the area, knows Gainesville, FL is basically Jacksonville West...

I’m loving this hire. If Meyer gets the Jags to winning again he’s be the most beloved sports figure in NE Florida history.
Congratulations on the hire. You guys will probably be able to take the black tarps off of the unfilled seats now and you get to keep your team from becoming the London Silly Nannies.

Loving the hire is one thing, but let’s pump the brakes on that beloved stuff.

Meyer is still a polarizing figure among UF fans, let alone our rivals who just straight up hate the guy.

Reactions: BeecherVol
Meyer is still a polarizing figure among UF fans, let alone our rivals who just straight up hate the guy.

That’s because some UF fans are idiots. The man won 2 national and sec titles, coached a Heisman-winning QB, and scores of future NFL greats. He belongs in the Ring of Honor, and if he wins a Super Bowl in Jax, he’s the greatest coach in the history of the state, certainly the NE part of the state. Name one better. Maybe you can make a case for Don Shula, or Bobby Bowden, or Spurrier, and all of those were great, but three National Titles and a Super Bowl would surpass all those resumes’.

Reactions: CornDontGrow
That’s because some UF fans are idiots. The man won 2 national and sec titles, coached a Heisman-winning QB, and scores of future NFL greats. He belongs in the Ring of Honor, and if he wins a Super Bowl in Jax, he’s the greatest coach in the history of the state, certainly the NE part of the state. Name one better. Maybe you can make a case for Don Shula, or Bobby Bowden, or Spurrier, and all of those were great, but three National Titles and a Super Bowl would surpass all those resumes’.

You want me to name a better coach in the state of Florida, particularly the NE part of the state, if Urban Meyer wins a Super Bowl with the Jags?

If all that happens, Urban Meyer would easily be the greatest coach in the history of NE Florida...worst case.

Years ago Urban would not be allowed at Sabans practices because the enemy. But now as an NFL coach he will be scouting rosters and be given field access to what goes on at Bama. Nothing groundbreaking. Just the difference of where you're employed gets you different access.

I get the rival fans opinion. Its easy to not like the guy for more reasons than 1.

When a fanbase that won 2 NCs with the guy considers him polarizing that should garner more attention.

Be interesting to see how it works out.

Reactions: Orange_Crush
Oh I wouldnt go that far.

His record as a coach speaks for itself. I dont think anyone including UF fans dont see that for what it is. IMO he's still the best coach not named Saban in the last 20 years.

What makes him a target has nothing to do with his coaching ability.

Why is he polarizing? Because of the shape he left the program, or the fashion in which he left?

Urban had incredible success there, then left after kind of giving you a one-year warning and the team in OK shape by your standards. I guess as a Vol I'm used to coaches leaving totally out of nowhere after one year in the dead of night with mattress burnings outside the football offices.

Reactions: DiderotsGhost
Why is he polarizing? Because of the shape he left the program, or the fashion in which he left?

Urban had incredible success there, then left after kind of giving you a one-year warning and the team in OK shape by your standards. I guess as a Vol I'm used to coaches leaving totally out of nowhere after one year in the dead of night with mattress burnings outside the football offices.

The primary reason behind Urban’s “heart issues” was among the worst kept secrets in Gainesville. I’ll leave it at that.

There’s also a good number of UF alums and fans who didn’t like how he mailed it in during the 2010 season. Steve Addazio was running the program while Urban did damage control behind the scenes on other stuff.

But he did bring us a couple national titles and a Heisman, so there’s that.

Reactions: 05_never_again

VN Store

Back