Upon Further Review: VQ’s Simonton with excellent recap

I hope the guy who didn’t notice Henry got pulled for Banks and Reid read this.

Awesome recap!...if an analyst can get all that out of one game...why can't the most expensive coaching staff in the world get it with practice after countless practice...lol...makes me wonder what out team is REALLY doing when they say they are at practice...what are they practicing?...Xbox?...lol...sorry couldn't help myself...lol...GBO ..ps...loved his comments on lb Kivon Bennet...kid played his heart out yesterday...Gray did well too... Let's pray B Brown comes back soon!!!!!!...we need him BAD this year!!!!
I have also asked myself after yesterday, just what the heck they have been doing in practice. The average mildly competent coach would have to work pretty hard to make a team with this many four-stars lose to a bunch of one- and two-stars.

I'm trying to convince myself that it's just that we overlooked them and we were figuring out our long term starters so we got blindsided. But I know it's probably not true.

We didn’t go deep bc JG can’t see the field he’s got no vertical game or field vision. We had WRs open all over the place downfield all night yet Capt Checkdown couldn’t see or hit any of them.

It’s just baffling . It’s the same mistakes. I don’t know if it’s when the lights are on or what, but that corner blitz that forced the sack-fumble took forever to get there. Ray Charles could’ve seen it coming. This is no longer a small sample size, it’s who he is and it so damn frustrating. I hate to talk poorly about 18-22 yo kids, but something has to change .
F46753BA-6A1A-4A0C-9FE4-BE09EFF059CD.gif

Awesome recap!...if an analyst can get all that out of one game...why can't the most expensive coaching staff in the world get it with practice after countless practice...lol...makes me wonder what out team is REALLY doing when they say they are at practice...what are they practicing?...Xbox?...lol...sorry couldn't help myself...lol...GBO ..ps...loved his comments on lb Kivon Bennet...kid played his heart out yesterday...Gray did well too... Let's pray B Thompson comes back soon!!!!!!...we need him BAD this year!!!!

Good point, hadn't really thought too much along those lines. Makes one think. I mean coaches like CJP like to tout their experience as HS and college coordinators......then you see this s***? Is Ansley a rookie? I thought he came from the raiders? Oh wait, he is a rookie DC yes? Oh, we want an SEC experienced HC (not CJP), finally get one for OC and hand over the reigns to a rookie DC and all three underwhelm? Yeah players gotta execute, but to stand in front of the mike and get paid as a professional while putting that on the field? Nah.....the kids gotta do the work but when you give them a toothbrush to sweep the yard, it ain't on them.

Reactions: wlkx
"The lack of urgency in the two-minute drive before halftime was bizarre, as was Jim Chaney’s decision to completely abandon the run in the second half. The Vols called a single run the final 22 minutes of the game. Meanwhile, they also refused to take many downfield shots against the worst pass defense in the nation a year ago."

This x 1000. From memory, it seemed like we went deep 2, maybe 3 times. No excuse for that with our tall wrs.
The excuse is our small QB was running for his life because our O-line was getting their ass whipped. Which is also why we abandoned the run.? Tough to run the ball when they are meeting you 2 yards deep in the backfield.

Not so good imho, how can you give a QB that is responsible for 3 turnovers a C- ?

QB is the main reason the Vols lost. They should have hung 50 points on them. QB had time to look down field and throw it to the WR. But, he didn’t or when he did he was off target.

Against this defense, he deserves a “F” for his performance.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
The defense didn't get on the field and didn't get lined up several times, one of which was on that 20 yard touchdown run. GSU ran right where the defensive end wasn't lined up. I don't know how much of that is on Ansley. He came in last year as a first-timer DC and I suppose other than that he was pretty well qualified. Long time defensive backs coach. Makes $1 million salary.

Excellent recap, and y'all have pretty much covered the football and coaching part, so I'll just add: I'm glad he mentioned the misery of hearing those fireworks for our final TD. Somebody should've exercised some judgment and not pushed that button.

Reactions: BreatheUT
Posts after this loss are more consistent and negative than I recall in the several years I've been on this site. And, deservedly so. I traveled a total of 7 hours to see that game, spent 200 or so dollars, and watched about the worst football game I've seen. I'm still shocked. You can not lose that game. But they did. Usually, I'm pretty positive and say that the coach should be given time. But what in the heck?
They give time. I understand that, but in 2nd year we should see improvement. It looked worse than last year. At least this year we waited until second play to fumble over last year’s first play. Sad!!!

Reactions: BreatheUT
"The lack of urgency in the two-minute drive before halftime was bizarre, as was Jim Chaney’s decision to completely abandon the run in the second half. The Vols called a single run the final 22 minutes of the game. Meanwhile, they also refused to take many downfield shots against the worst pass defense in the nation a year ago."

This x 1000. From memory, it seemed like we went deep 2, maybe 3 times. No excuse for that with our tall wrs.

Which makes you question if it was JG or Chaney. Let's suppose there was so puzzling play calling during that 2 minute drive, and it was, it still does not explain JG's lack of urgency as the signal caller. Seemed clueless on how to manage the 2 minute drill.

I'm trying to convince myself that it's just that we overlooked them and we were figuring out our long term starters so we got blindsided. But I know it's probably not true.

We’ll know more next week if we dare to watch.

I am still trying to figure wth this D was ? Ansley is a damn joke. He is Pruitts version of Sal
EDZcspiX4AIemvt
I remember seeing that and assumed it was a mistake. Now I’m not sure.

pretty good recap IMO. Don't get it about Garland playing that much and Butler sitting. Might be a glimpse into what is wrong - too many promises that shouldn't be made.

Garland came off the ball well, excellent in pursuit and showed hustle. I'd played him more.

We didn’t go deep bc JG can’t see the field he’s got no vertical game or field vision. We had WRs open all over the place downfield all night yet Capt Checkdown couldn’t see or hit any of them.
Go easy on the guy , that was a really tough D they won 2 games last year in the Sun Belt lol

Impossible. I’ve been assured numerous times on this board that JGs 200 yards a game is more than sufficient to win games. He apparently also remains a possible Heisman candidate because he is only into his 4th year, so he has a lot more room to grow.

Hard to just say they just threw the game though. Either the team is just that bad or there is really something wrong going on behind closed doors.

There is not only something really wrong behind closed doors, there is also something really wrong out in the open for all to see. In fact, there is nothing right with this team at the moment. Nothing. At all.

Reactions: TNJOKER and GoBears

VN Store

Back