Upon Further Review: VQ’s Simonton with excellent recap

"The lack of urgency in the two-minute drive before halftime was bizarre, as was Jim Chaney’s decision to completely abandon the run in the second half. The Vols called a single run the final 22 minutes of the game. Meanwhile, they also refused to take many downfield shots against the worst pass defense in the nation a year ago."

This x 1000. From memory, it seemed like we went deep 2, maybe 3 times. No excuse for that with our tall wrs.

"The lack of urgency in the two-minute drive before halftime was bizarre, as was Jim Chaney’s decision to completely abandon the run in the second half. The Vols called a single run the final 22 minutes of the game. Meanwhile, they also refused to take many downfield shots against the worst pass defense in the nation a year ago."

This x 1000. From memory, it seemed like we went deep 2, maybe 3 times. No excuse for that with our tall wrs.
As futile as it may have been, I couldn't understanding why we wasted so much time on our final drive before the onside kick. The only chance we had was to save enough time to run at least one play in the event we did recover the onside kick. Instead, Gray doesn't even try to get out of bounds to stop the clock and we let precious seconds tick of the clock at the LOS. We seemed content at just scoring one more time.

Awesome recap!...if an analyst can get all that out of one game...why can't the most expensive coaching staff in the world get it with practice after countless practice...lol...makes me wonder what out team is REALLY doing when they say they are at practice...what are they practicing?...Xbox?...lol...sorry couldn't help myself...lol...GBO ..ps...loved his comments on lb Kivon Bennet...kid played his heart out yesterday...Gray did well too... Let's pray B Thompson comes back soon!!!!!!...we need him BAD this year!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Vols1313
Posts after this loss are more consistent and negative than I recall in the several years I've been on this site. And, deservedly so. I traveled a total of 7 hours to see that game, spent 200 or so dollars, and watched about the worst football game I've seen. I'm still shocked. You can not lose that game. But they did. Usually, I'm pretty positive and say that the coach should be given time. But what in the heck?

Awesome recap!...if an analyst can get all that out of one game...why can't the most expensive coaching staff in the world get it with practice after countless practice...lol...makes me wonder what out team is REALLY doing when they say they are at practice...what are they practicing?...Xbox?...lol...sorry couldn't help myself...lol...GBO ..ps...loved his comments on lb Kivon Bennet...kid played his heart out yesterday...Gray did well too... Let's pray B Brown comes back soon!!!!!!...we need him BAD this year!!!!
Maybe I’m drawing a blank but who is B. Brown?

It's one of those scenarios that when you find the answers to your questions, it's worse.

Some of what I read and see in the photos is inexcusable.

I mean if you know, and Pruitt did in the presser, that at times you didn't have a chance, then why in God's name don't you change what you are doing?

This part of the article just pisses me off to no end.....

“We try to keep guys very, very simple for our guys up front and for the most part they did exactly what we thought they could do. Went out and executed. And at times I felt like we could’ve run the same play over and over again. If you go back and watch it, we probably did a number of times.”

The head coach of a Sun Belt team that went 2-10 a year ago and was picked to finish last in its division in 2019 watched tape of Tennessee last season and entered Saturday feeling confident his team could push around an SEC foe.

I am still trying to figure wth this D was ? Ansley is a damn joke. He is Pruitts version of Sal
EDZcspiX4AIemvt

It's been said time and time again over the past 24 hours.

It seems like this unit regressed co parked to last year. At least that team seemed like they wanted to play at times (Auburn, Kentucky etc.) I can't help but wonder what the coaches and players are thinking right now?

Football is largely a game of chess. For whatever reason, every single position is being out moved nearly every single play of the game by a team that lost nearly all of its matches last season.

It's hard to say it's fluke given the recent history. I just pray that Pruitt and co. Fixes whatever issues is going on. Fans will quit showing up for the team.

Reactions: TNC T
While there are roughly 743 damning points you could make about Saturday's abomination of a game, chew on this paragraph for a minute:

"The head coach of a Sun Belt team that went 2-10 a year ago and was picked to finish last in its division in 2019 watched tape of Tennessee last season and entered Saturday feeling confident his team could push around an SEC foe."

Just speechless.

We didn’t go deep bc JG can’t see the field he’s got no vertical game or field vision. We had WRs open all over the place downfield all night yet Capt Checkdown couldn’t see or hit any of them.

It's one of those scenarios that when you find the answers to your questions, it's worse.

Some of what I read and see in the photos is inexcusable.

I mean if you know, and Pruitt did in the presser, that at times you didn't have a chance, then why in God's name don't you change what you are doing?

It’s hard reading that and seeing those pics and not believe some of the far fetched conspiracies. 🤷🏽‍♂️🤔😫

It's been said time and time again over the past 24 hours.

It seems like this unit regressed co parked to last year. At least that team seemed like they wanted to play at times (Auburn, Kentucky etc.) I can't help but wonder what the coaches and players are thinking right now?

Football is largely a game of chess. For whatever reason, every single position is being out moved nearly every single play of the game by a team that lost nearly all of its matches last season.

It's hard to say it's fluke given the recent history. I just pray that Pruitt and co. Fixes whatever issues is going on. Fans will quit showing up for the team.
Getting curb stomped doesn’t qualify as a “fluke”. Getting beaten by a Hail Mary does.

Getting curb stomped doesn’t qualify as a “fluke”. Getting beaten by a Hail Mary does.
Hard to just say they just threw the game though. Either the team is just that bad or there is really something wrong going on behind closed doors.

VN Store

Back