Updated Predictions (Long)

MikeHamiltonFan

Anyone want to modify their old predictions?

I have now watched lots of the teams we are going to play.

With UConn doing better, we should have 7 wins over ranked teams this season. That is going to get us a good seed in the tournament.

Complete schedule
Regular Season
Date Opponent Result / Time Record
Nov 12 Chattanooga Won 82-62 1-0
Nov 16 Belmont Won 85-76 2-0
Nov 17 Missouri St. Won 60-56 3-0
Nov 24 VCU Won 77-72 4-0
Nov 26 Villanova Won 78-68 5-0
Nov 30 Middle Tenn. 7:30 PM Should win
Dec 11 @Pittsburgh 3:15 PM W
Dec 14 Oakland 7:00 PM easy win
Dec 17 @Charlotte 8:00 PM do not know whats wrong with them, I will not argue this is a quality win.
Dec 21 USC 7:00 PM This is actually a pretty good team. We will get revenge but this game will be close.
Dec 23 Belmont 7:30 PM Not as close as the first meeting.
Dec 29 UT-Martin 7:00 PM Easy win.
Dec 31 Col. of Charleston 2:00 PM Another easy win.
Jan 5 Memphis 9:00 PM W
Jan 8 @Arkansas 1:30 PM W
Jan 11 Florida 9:00 PM W
Jan 15 Vanderbilt 12:00 PM L
Jan 18 @Georgia 7:00 PM W
Jan 22 @Connecticut 2:00 PM W
Jan 26 LSU 8:00 PM W
Jan 29 @Mississippi 4:00 PM W
Feb 3 @Auburn 9:00 PM W
Feb 5 Alabama 5:00 PM W
Feb 8 @Kentucky 9:00 PM L
Feb 12 @Florida 6:00 PM L
Feb 16 South Carolina 7:00 PM W
Feb 19 Georgia 1:00 PM W
Feb 22 @Vanderbilt 9:00 PM W
Feb 26 Mississippi St. 6:00 PM L
Mar 3 @South Carolina 7:00 PM W
Mar 6 Kentucky 12:00 PM W

On Pitt:
Our hardest game of the season on paper yet I feel good about it. Talib Zanna will not abuse our interior guys. Pitt will enter this game having only played Maryland and Texas as legit teams. Gibbs and Wannamaker are also not significantly more talented than the frontcourt we defeated tonight against Villanova. Provided by Dec 11th we still have Goins and Golden and Harris and Hopson and Tatum and Williams all healthy, we should win. The win they have against Texas will look really good I think in March. This is not last years Texas squad.

On Memphis:
December 7 they get Kansas and December 23rd they get Georgetown. I expect them to split those and come in 12-1 and in the top 15. I also think their freshman will be better but so will Golden and McRae and we will win this game. I expect us to have maybe 10 less turnovers than they will.

SEC thoughts...Auburn is awful and we knew that, but Alabama is the kind of game during the SEC schedule when your stars can rest also. Anthony Grant is doing a much worse job than Pelphrey last year. Pelphrey lost his worst games with 4 suspended players, Grant is just sucking as a coach and his team lost to St. Peters for the biggest conference embarrassment of the season.

Vanderbilt, Kentucky and Florida have the talent to beat us. Miss. State with Bost and Sidney have the talent to beat us also.

I really think we are a good bit better than all the other teams in the SEC, even Georgia (who I think will get ranked) and I do not think Pearl will let this team play down to the level of our opponents.

Vanderbilt if they beat Missouri away and beat St Mary's along with the rest of the garbage teams they should beat, they may get a 4 seed even with plenty of losses in the SEC to Florida, Kentucky and Tennessee.

UGA could have OOC wins against CU and against Xavier. That should be enough, 11-2 OOC. They missed big opportunities with the Notre Dame game which they should have won (and where the zebras did hose them) and Temple. UGA might have 5 losses in January. Drop out of the top 25. They will be faced with lots of adversity but have a much easier schedule after that. Get 8 wins in the conference and even if they do not win 1 in the SECT they should be in the expanded field of 68.

Florida has to beat FSU and Xavier. I do not expect them to beat K State, and I do not expect Pullen to go 1-11 like he did against Duke. They have 8-9 wins in the SEC and they will get in also. Helps the top teams in the SEC that even losing against each other they get automatic wins against several SECW teams.

Kentucky has North Carolina December 4th. They then get Notre Dame December 8th. They then get to beat an improved Indiana. They finish the OOC group with traditional rival December 31 at Louisville and Pitino's crew beat Butler and look pretty strong. 25 wins at least looks likely. Brandon Knight will just get better and Terrence Jones has been one of the best players in CBB so far this year. UK or TN should be the highest seed in the SEC.

Miss. State had trouble with Troy at home needing OT to beat them. What people seem to forget is even though they will stumble through a non conference schedule that includes at VT December 18, Washington State the 22 and then Saint Mary's December 30, they will then get their 2 best players added to the team.

I think TN, Florida, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Miss. State and 1 other team (UGA or Ole Miss) will get to the tournament.

Arguing that the SEC is better than the Big 10 is going to be absurd this year (though Penn State just lost to Ole Miss). I may try to stir the pot with an SEC better than the ACC or better than the Big 12 depending on the outcomes for the next 5 weeks.

27-4 and depending on what we do in the tournament we will be in the SECT, we could get anywhere from a number 1 to number 3 seed. I am expecting a 2 seed.

Pretty bold. Still a bit early but I can see 27-4.

I'd say that is best case, 20-11 ridiculous worst case. but after tonight im thinking anywhere between 23-27 wins is very reasonable

I only added 2 wins from my original prediction.

I freaking love this defense. I think the whole scandal also has them playing with a chip on their shoulder.

Fields may actually progress, Maymon should be an upgrade when we get him, and Golden and McRae will also get better.

I still think we end up in the 22-25 win area.....

On Dec. 11 at the SEC-Big East Invitational, Tennessee plays Pittsburgh at the CONSOL Energy Center, home of the Pittsburgh Penguins. Then the Vols have yet another Big East date Jan. 22 at UConn. And in between, Tennessee hosts USC and Memphis as well as a sneaky good College of Charleston. So there are plenty of potential potholes on the nonconference schedule.

Really funny, from the Andy Katz story after we won...
COC as sneaky good is funny to me.

VN Store

Back