Upcoming vote whether to allow student-athletes back to campus on June 1 (merged)

We need to get back together as a community. We survive the cold & the flu. Swine flu did not wipe us out. Hell the plague didn’t wipe us out. Man up!
If we could trust people to be responsible, there wouldn’t be any issue. Unfortunately, as evidenced by many on here, people just can’t be trusted to take simple easy steps and so we’re all forced into over the top measures because of a few bad apples.

I love Fulmer as AD, but I totally disagree with his decision there. It's time to open, hospitals aren't compromised and there is no reason we can't monitor our players. Probably will be easier to than if they aren't here. No reason for them not to be here in the first of June. Students are going to be on campus a month later anyway. I stand with the rest of the SEC and my Vol fans that think like me. God Bless and GBO!
What’s the plan going to be then? Please enlighten us. I don’t know about you but I don’t buy into any plan until I know what’s in it. And I’m guessing that’s what the AD’s are trying to figure out before they approve it. I really doubt players are going to even resume practice till they figure out a testing protocol.

Reactions: Smokey X
I don't see why we stopped for this Chinese virus and the fact that they wanna pay off schooling for the doctors and nurses is just sickening. No reason why we can't start summer practice right now. The virus isn't that bad it was over hyped by the media. The economy needs to open up ASAP
well said Mr President

No reason to burn it down but he needs to explain why. It’s a bad look. Most say season won’t start on time if you do push it two weeks back. My theory is maybe he wants it pushed back because if no fans allowed, then no need to travel to Oklahoma and cupcake cane because that would lose money. It’s right everywhere in athletic departments and maybe he’s looking at money which he should since he’s the AD. I will admit, the Twitter part is stupid but we need to have this addressed as those who support the AD financially.
It does not matter. I am sure he has his reasons, but at least he had the guts to actually take a stand one way or the other. Abstention is a sign of weakness and fear. I may not agree with his decision, but I respect it. AD Fulmer has done a fantastic job since he took over and nothing to explain to a whining fan who doesn't like his decision. His was one vote out of 14 ADs I believe. What a classless thread.

The NCAA is a broken system, it has been for sometime. Football and Basketball at the D1 level are anything but amateur anymore, they are cash cows for the Universities. To be honest all the other sports depend on them or they wouldn't exist. Take UT for example, there wouldn't be Women's Basketball, Softball, Tennis, Golf, Rowing, Swimming, Track if it weren't for Football and Basketball. Now instead of fixing the issues they invented Title 9 to make these Universities even more dependent on the funds from T.V. etc. Money controls all in College Sports at the D1 level and always will at this point. To the point of Sankey, I don't believe for a minute he doesn't have a plan. The SEC will lead the way in planning for the return of college football this fall. I'm also under the belief that these college athletes get better care on their campuses than they do at home.
Show me that plan and then maybe I’ll get excited. Until the plan is published and approved by the schools, players and coaches, I’m not going to get too wound up about anything. Love Vol sports but my life does not revolve around it. If they play, great. If not, I’ll just play more golf and play with my grandkids. I’m good either way. Age has taught me to enjoy other stuff.

Reactions: kcvols1
When do Knox County restrictions start dissipating? I know it is one of the few behind the rest in Tennessee. I don't know if this was part of him wanting to wait a couple of weeks.

So what? If it’s a majority vote it won’t matter. This coronavirus is an outrage and I work in a hospital. Is it very contagious? Yes. Is it super deadly? No.
My wife was tested for covid, jammed a swab up her nose causing her nose to bleed. Is that the norm?

The test came back that she didn’t have covid.

Is knowing for sure when to put our student athletes health in danger not important anymore?? June 1st is 2weeks from now. Can u put 100+ players and staff together without multiple people contracting covid -19?? I dnt understand what the big deal is if they are talking about playing in empty stadiums anyway.
To be honest, the football team is probably the least likely to be adversely hurt by the virus. The are top level athletes with strong body systems. Only Trey Smith would likely be in the at risk group because of his pulmonary clotting issues. The COVID-19 mortality numbers are grossly overstated as we still don’t know the number of actual infections, or whether the mortality numbers are actually due to the virus or not.

Reactions: JacketVol
Wouldn't it be a good idea to find out what the reasoning was for Fulmer voting No and other AD's abstaining before we start foaming at the mouth and have a redneck Twitter frenzy?

Well, in a reasonable world, the answer would be “of course.” But in modern messageboardville, many prefer to just spout off and the facts be damned.

I don’t pretend to know Fulmer’s reasoning, but I am certain of a few things :
1. As AD, he knows how important football revenue is to his budget; and
2. As another poster pointed out above, he will do what he feels is right for the players, coaches and fans. I absolutely believe his heart is in the right place.
3. He has way more information than us Yahoos on VolNation.

If you’re not sure what to do in this situation, vote no. You’ll at least be spared the wrath of the Stay at Home Police

Reactions: lifeisdeep
To be honest, the football team is probably the least likely to be adversely hurt by the virus. The are top level athletes with strong body systems. Only Trey Smith would likely be in the at risk group because of his pulmonary clotting issues. The COVID-19 mortality numbers are grossly overstated as we still don’t know the number of actual infections, or whether the mortality numbers are actually due to the virus or not.
My point is there is too much that we dont know about it. Being a top level athlete wont keep u from contracting it. Im sure Rudy Goedert and Donavan Mitchell are both better conditioned athletes then anyone on our roster. This is a vote that could wait til August at the earliest.

Is knowing for sure when to put our student athletes health in danger not important anymore?? June 1st is 2weeks from now. Can u put 100+ players and staff together without multiple people contracting covid -19?? I dnt understand what the big deal is if they are talking about playing in empty stadiums anyway.
I have been in contact with at least 100 different people since the shutdown was put in effect back in March, and neither have contracted COVID nor know anyone who has. I'm in an industry considered essential; I typically encounter a couple to a half dozen or so customers in the course of a normal workday, and dozens (at least) more people in gas stations. My gym has been open for a couple weeks now, and I have been there eight times since the re-opening. I personally know a whopping one person who has contracted the disease, and technically that's someone I barely know as the acquaintance is from my church (she works in healthcare, and is therefore exposed to many times the level of risk of the average person).

The assumption that putting a random sampling of 100 people together will lead to multiple new cases, in a state where the total number of cases still has barely reached .2%, is not great reasoning.

Its very possible that a player on Tenn. Roster might be in the "High Risk" group.
If his reason is to look after his players my hats off to him.

Trey will always be in the high risk group and a couple of weeks will not change that.

I would say Phil's reasoning is one of working out the details. First, they have to put a plan in place to get the people back that handle and take care of the teams. The plan will need to assure their safety. These people will then need to create a plan for the team itself from living quarters, to food, medical care, janitorial and sanitation services, training staff, and how to handle training/practice. You don't just snap your fingers and things happen overnight. I would have thought people in here were smarter than that but I should have known better.

Reactions: Nickid1975
What’s the plan going to be then? Please enlighten us. I don’t know about you but I don’t buy into any plan until I know what’s in it. And I’m guessing that’s what the AD’s are trying to figure out before they approve it. I really doubt players are going to even resume practice till they figure out a testing protocol.
Dude I just said I agreed with the other sec ad's. I am not in on planning, I am outside working everyday and I see plenty of people side by side all over the place in stores. I just think the players should be able to be back on campus, it's not my job to enlighten you. You have your thoughts and I have mine. If you don't agree fine, but don't try to demean my thinking. I just think the social distancing in not as big issue as some does. I have been careful and like most americans been trying to stay out of public for 2 months. We were told we were doing this to break the curve. We did that, we were then told to keep it up because of the hospital space and ventilators and we did that. The goal post keep moving and some governers in some states have issued ridiculous orders to it's people. Some don't even have facts or science behind them. At this point my view is let the people decide where they want to go. Let the people that own a place decide if they want to open, everybody from the scientist to this board is widely split. The bottom line is this virus is slowing down and the numbers are going DOWN. That is a fact, we don't need more regulations as a whole we need less. And may your trust in Jesus Christ give you the all the strength that you need and help shine the light on the road ahead. God Bless and GBO!

Reactions: lifeisdeep

VN Store

Back