UNLV Game Analysis

hillbilly

Offense:
The line played well. The RBs ran well too. The WRs looked good but I would like to know if the rookie QBs or they were off some of the times. The QBs played way better than I could have expected. The only bust I can recall is Houston missing the blitz on Shaeffer's fumble.

Defense:
The DL showed up in the 2nd half and got some pass rush against a below average front. Whoever fired them up needs to start earlier for the Gators. The LBs couldn't tackle the small guy. The Safteys played badly in run support. The DBs let several guys get wide open. Fortunately we caused a couple turnovers to stop them. I think they should look at Heffney at safety because he likes to hit.

Kicking:
Colquitt is great. Can we name a street after him? Punt coverage looked good. Kick coverage was terrible. If the guy can put it in the end zone, which he did the rest of the night, let him do it. The kicker missed a field goal. Sorry but he isn't dependable. At least he made the PAT.

Penalites:
I was glad to see the unpsortsmanlike penalites. While we haven't acted quite like Kellen Winslow II, our guys have shown poor sportsmanship for several years now. Maybe this will give incentive to CPF to clean it up. Yes some of it seemed ticky-tack but just play ball dang-it. It was an SEC crew so beware.

Good post, hillbilly. Here's my own thumbs up/thumbs down on the game:
:good: Schaeffer/Ainge - as good as advertized; Schaeffer deserved the start; although risky, I'd like to see Sanders gives him more running plays
:good: Trooper Taylor. The UT RBs ran with more spirit and smarts than in recent years. This guy looks like he'll be a great asset on the coaching staff.
:bad: defense overall: too many wide open receivers; no one could catch or tackle Dorsey, the best RB on the field
:bad: Smoky IX: too passive, just didn't have his head in the game. But hey, he's a rookie too - give him time to mature.

NONE of the unsportsmanlike penalties were a correct call and to think they were is just plain asinine. There was a little emotion shown on big plays but it was NOT excessive in any way, NONE! To even bring that FOOL Winslow in this to prove a point is plain stupid, I'm sick and tired of whiners saying players should show no emotion, fine if that's what you want then let them do it and sing their praises when they go 1-10 and 2-9. Football is a game of emotion and unless its getting in someones face and they aren't dancing then the shaking of the head, chest bumping and high fives are just fine plus according to the SEC RULE is acceptable! UT has in no way at no time even come close to WINSLOW and even some SEC teams such as UGA.

Originally posted by hillbilly@Sep 6, 2004 8:32 AM
I was glad to see the unpsortsmanlike penalites.

:blink: What were you watching??

I've got to go along with TNVOLS1 on this one. The only one that you can even argue was warranted was the first one where there was an actual hand gesture, and even that was a spontaneous show of emotion. The ones for the chest bump and the high five were just plain stupid. If you think that's bad sportmanship, then you shouldn't watch football.

The one time when I thought we were going to get flagged, we didn't - when our receiver's momentum caused him to do a miniature Lambeau Leap into the stands after a TD pass.

I am getting ready to watch the replay but from what I could tell:

Schaeffer and Ainge played well above expectations.

All the RB's ran very hard. Cedric had the most yards and while many think maybe he has turned the corner, I am not too sure. He has always played well in the early games (see Fresno St. last year) but seems to fade. I liked the attitude of Houston, Riggs, and Larkins. It was nice to see Jabari get a few carries.

CORY ANERSON COULD BE VERY SPECIAL at fullback. I was very impressed with him especially considering he is a converted DE and this was his first game at FB. Very physical player who also seems to have nice hands and some good moves with the football. I was very impressed.

The offensive line played pretty well. I am not giving them an A+ like many people since I think the backs broke a lot of tackles that made the line look good. But I give them a B+ with room for improvement.

I think Heffney needs to be on the field. I think he should start ahead of Fellows. Seems to be very physical and he should also be our punt returner. Was very suprised at how poorly Swain and Tinsley did back there.

The defense did not play especially well but I think the Chief will have his guys ready to play in two weeks. The secondary is probably my biggest concern on this team heading into the Florida game.

I also have to give Sanders an A+ for having the QB's ready to play and implementing a game plan that was the best I have seen since Michigan in the Citrus Bowl.

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Sep 6, 2004 1:08 PM
NONE of the unsportsmanlike penalties were a correct call and to think they were is just plain asinine. There was a little emotion shown on big plays but it was NOT excessive in any way, NONE! To even bring that FOOL Winslow in this to prove a point is plain stupid, I'm sick and tired of whiners saying players should show no emotion, fine if that's what you want then let them do it and sing their praises when they go 1-10 and 2-9. Football is a game of emotion and unless its getting in someones face and they aren't dancing then the shaking of the head, chest bumping and high fives are just fine plus according to the SEC RULE is acceptable! UT has in no way at no time even come close to WINSLOW and even some SEC teams such as UGA.

You are entitled to your opinion but the name calling isn't necessary. I don't want emotion taken out of the game. In my opinion, getting in someone's face after a play is excessive. I'm ok with whooping it up with your own teammates as long as it isn't staged. Maybe there is a gray line about what is excessive. We've seen what has happened in the NFL and we don't need to go there. I think the officials are just trying to reel it back in.

I will take penalties, as long as they are for aggressive play.

QB - Both were dynamic in their debut. Sanders set up the offense around their unique talents, and did well. Schaeffer is faster than advertised. He is faster on the field than on TV. Ainge has the prettiest touch on a football I have seen since Manning, and I think has a better arm. Both managed the game well, with only a couple of freshman mistakes.

RB - ALL of the backs played with heart and desire, which has been missing from this team. If anyone had any doubts about Taylor, they don't now. Houston, Riggs, Larkins and Davis all had their moment in the sun. Taylor has provided a spark on the sideline for not just his boys, but for the entire team.

WR - Showing why they are the premier group of the offense. Made good catches, and were able to get separation, which we didn't see a lot of before. Did make some misatkes on some of the routes, but did a good job overall.

OL - They were able to keep the D off of the QBs, and opened up some good holes. Hope they can do that in 2 weeks. And no false starts that I could recall.

DL - Had trouble with Dorsey, but he was very good. Able to get penatration on UNLV, and cause some disruptions. Need to get more pressure on QB.

LB - Excellent play from the LBs. Breaking up passes, tackles behind the line, fumble recoveries. They did have trouble with Dorsey, but overall the heart and soul of the Defense.

DB - We need some serious work with this group. Too many times they played off of the WRs. Though run defense is a concern, the DBs need more work. But Heffney is a hitter in the frame of Fred White and Gibril Wilson.

ST (special teams) - Punting great, kicking not so great. Kickoff coverage not so great. Return team not bad.

Overall defense needs a shot in the arm. Offense is exciting again. This group is going to make things happen.

VN Store

Back