Uniform/Helmet/Shoe design thread (merged)

That gimmick and a top 25 class will not win you a SEC crown. Ask Bama and UGA.

What I’m getting at is that young recruits take notice of things like the Smokey grays or all black uniforms. The players love it. Ultimately, that’s what’s important: they go out and give their all and every so often get to switch things up with something like a cool alternate.

If older generations want to get all whiny about tradition and how Johnny Majors would be rolling over in his grave if he saw black helmets, let ‘em.

Reactions: StoneColdStunner
Read PC Jr post and state if you really are a traditionalist. Or better yet check out the blog link to see how holy, I mean traditionalist you really are.
University of Tennessee Volunteers Football Uniform and Team History | Heritage Uniforms and Jerseys and Stadiums - NFL, MLB, NHL, NBA, NCAA, US Colleges

Seriously, I like our orange and white, and would never want to lose it. But it's a modern era, and fashion changes with time. Right Clark? Clark? See, Superman no longer sports his underwear outside his uniform, traditional as it is for him to do so.

Would love to see a 1914 Throwback option for when we wear black. Have long sleeve undershirt with orange stripes! Sweeeeet. Halloween Game!

Reactions: WoodsmanVol
Would love to see a 1914 Throwback option for when we wear black. Have long sleeve undershirt with orange stripes! Sweeeeet. Halloween Game!

If we did that, and had a lead up PR campaign preceding the intention, I dare say the USGS would issue a 7.8 tremor broadcast for the entire Knox County. And good gracious, just imagine the national public response! Quite frankly, it wouldn't surprise me if they even from interval to interval preempt other games to show the Vols-Gator game just to get a glimpse of the throwback uniforms. If anybody got a line to Danny White, hit him up for this idea.

White with orange is all we need. Focus on the playbook and not the closet. Albert Einstein was reported to have multiple copies of the same outfit so he did not waste time picking out clothes. Seems to have worked out well for him. I am glad Tee and the crew did not waste any time ruminating over “Smokey” duds during their run.

You want to know why Oregon consistently has top 25 recruiting classes? Sure, they have had good programs. But they also have 10,000 different uniform and helmet combinations. Young kids want to look cool on TV.

And here I thought it was the hundreds of millions of dollars Phil Knight dumped into Oregon’s budget over the last twenty years. Silly me.

And here I thought it was the hundreds of millions of dollars Phil Knight dumped into Oregon’s budget over the last twenty years. Silly me.
Which did help buy an insane number of jerseys which later became social media sensations. Silly indeed but it did have an effect

Reactions: Vol_guy

Yes it’s almost like hundreds of millions of dollars from the founder of Nike allows for things like tons of uniform combinations which kids notice and makes them want to go to Oregon because that’s a real cool.

That gimmick and a top 25 class will not win you a SEC crown. Ask Bama and UGA.
That's the silliest argument in my opinion. We haven't won any with or without alternate uniforms. If you're old and set in your ways like me just say it. Wgaf what Bama and Georgia think about it? I prefer orange and white, but if they wanna try something else I really don't care.

Jmo.

Yes it’s almost like hundreds of millions of dollars from the founder of Nike allows for things like tons of uniform combinations which kids notice and makes them want to go to Oregon because that’s a real cool.

Okay, but I think it also pays for elite facilities, athlete support, and athletic department resources. Heck, coaches even. I would wager that has a lot more impact - and a lot more to do with Oregon’s success.

Is this still the plan?

Was told in the summer black for Akron and grey for Kentucky, haven’t heard anything to the contrary since.

If that is still the plan, I would imagine they will say something earlier in the week rather than later to boost the sales of the Nike Dark Mode line at retail. They would be wearing the black helmets for practice as well, but since that is closed to the media it might be a little easier to keep it under wraps.

Was told in the summer black for Akron and grey for Kentucky, haven’t heard anything to the contrary since.

If that is still the plan, I would imagine they will say something earlier in the week rather than later to boost the sales of the Nike Dark Mode line at retail. They would be wearing the black helmets for practice as well, but since that is closed to the media it might be a little easier to keep it under wraps.
I can’t wrap my head around wearing an alternate uniform for a game against Akron. If optics is part of the reason we’re doing it, why wear them for the game that will likely have the lowest or second-lowest viewership all season?

UGA has worn alternates
UGAs alternates were still red and black. You know, their actual colors. If they did an alternate design in orange & white, I hardly doubt those of us that think wearing black just for the sake of wearing black would care.

I can’t wrap my head around wearing an alternate uniform for a game against Akron. If optics is part of the reason we’re doing it, why wear them for the game that will likely have the lowest or second-lowest viewership all season?

And they may not, but that was the plan that was put out this summer. As for why, the new branding guidelines that the UTAD developed for its sports say that teams should wear traditional uniforms for the traditional matchups and when championships are on the line. So for example, you won’t see the baseball team wearing black jerseys for the SEC tournament championship ever again.

They didn’t intend to wear black again, since they were designed and ordered by a previous coaching staff. But with the black helmets already back ordered, as well as a ton of retail gear that never made it last year, but was still in the pipeline, they were kind of forced into it for this year. The intention was to just shift back to the Smokey Grey and wear that as the alternate uniform once a year for the next four years. But the supply chain issues last year forced their hand into carrying over the black uniform for one more year.

VN Store

Back