Underappreciated Coaches Article

Anyone that has been a long-time UT b-ball fan certainly can't "underappreciate" Barnes at this point in his tenure. Now...one could certainly argue he is overpaid, but we won't know the answer to that until a few years down the road.

Anyone that has been a long-time UT b-ball fan certainly can't "underappreciate" Barnes at this point in his tenure. Now...one could certainly argue he is overpaid, but we won't know the answer to that until a few years down the road.
Well, a certain faction of posters seem to underappreciate him given their frigid attitude toward his salary, such that they now "dislike" him.

And even I agree he's overpaid. I just don't care. At a minimum, it would take a F4 to justify that salary, and even that still probably isn't enough except that it would be our first and only.

I've just decided winning is fun and losing sucks, so I don't let something like his salary, which has no bearing on my personal life, bother me. Like you, I have been a Tennessee fan long enough to know both feelings, one much more than the other, unfortunately.

He's certainly not underappreciatted here. In fact, he's overappreciatted by the fans and city, and he underappreciattes this job.
No, he just doesn't have the emotional attachment to the job that many naively believed he did, or should have had. The surprise on your faces must have been priceless to realize that Rick Barnes doesn't just bleed orange like he was born at halfcourt of Alumni Gymnasium.

It is a job to him. Same way that my job is a job to me. I certainly appreciate my job, but I can equally appreciate a job somewhere else just as easily if it was a better fit for me and my family from a financial, stability, and cultural standpoint.

Well, a certain faction of posters seem to underappreciate him given their frigid attitude toward his salary, such that they now "dislike" him.

And even I agree he's overpaid. I just don't care. At a minimum, it would take a F4 to justify that salary, and even that still probably isn't enough except that it would be our first and only.

I've just decided winning is fun and losing sucks, so I don't let something like his salary, which has no bearing on my personal life, bother me. Like you, I have been a Tennessee fan long enough to know both feelings, one much more than the other, unfortunately.
Exactly. No idea why people act like Barnes getting a raise is such a crime when it affects none of us at all. Like he shouldn’t turned down more money out of the kindness of his heart

I didn’t read the article but our coach has about 4.7 million reasons to support the appreciated argument plus about the 4th highest attended home games in the country.

Reactions: hooter vol
Exactly. No idea why people act like Barnes getting a raise is such a crime when it affects none of us at all. Like he shouldn’t turned down more money out of the kindness of his heart

I can’t speak for others but I didn’t appreciate that he got his undeserving new salary (which is fine, never gonna throw a guy under the bus for getting dough) and then went out and publicly said he’d be at UCLA but they were too cheap. Maybe a little gratitude would be nice 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

I can’t speak for others but I didn’t appreciate that he got his undeserving new salary (which is fine, never gonna throw a guy under the bus for getting dough) and then went out and publicly said he’d be at UCLA but they were too cheap. Maybe a little gratitude would be nice 🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️
If you actually paid attention at all to that press conference other than that one part, you would've heard him express plenty of gratitude to UT, Fulmer, UT fans, and his players

If you actually paid attention at all to that press conference other than that one part, you would've heard him express plenty of gratitude to UT, Fulmer, UT fans, and his players

Why should I listen to all that when he stated he would be at UCLA if they weren’t cheap? And basically state he’d rather be at UCLA. That’s a lot of gratitude that means nothing.

If you invited me over to your house to stay for a weekend, and I said thanks and how much I appreciate it and how great you are, then said “yeah but you weren’t my first choice to stay with, but my preferred option fell through cause they were cheap” you wouldn’t feel as if I was showing gratitude.

Why should I listen to all that when he stated he would be at UCLA if they weren’t cheap? And basically state he’d rather be at UCLA. That’s a lot of gratitude that means nothing.

If you invited me over to your house to stay for a weekend, and I said thanks and how much I appreciate it and how great you are, then said “yeah but you weren’t my first choice to stay with, but my preferred option fell through cause they were cheap” you wouldn’t feel as if I was showing gratitude.
K.

Not what he said. The way they were paying the buyout would have cost him out of pocket. Sounds like a good business decision. Would you take a raise if your boss said you had to pay half your salary to get it?

Not what he said. The way they were paying the buyout would have cost him out of pocket. Sounds like a good business decision. Would you take a raise if your boss said you had to pay half your salary to get it?

Where did I say anything about his decision making regarding staying at Tennessee?

I agree completely. Gratitude and just the idea that some things are better left unsaid. Love Barnes, but I am sure he has mulled over his comments a few times.

VN Store

Back