Under Consideration: ncaa announces one-time immediate eligibility transfer exception

HuntlandVolinColo

Rocky Top High Colorado
NCAA announces 1-time immediate eligibility transfer exception under consideration
Michael Wayne Bratton

The NCAA has just taken the next step to allow undergraduate student-athletes the ability to transfer one time without having to sit out a season. Under the current rules, only graduate transfer players are allowed to compete immediately following a transfer or undergraduate players that receive a hardship waiver to compete immediately.
The ACC recently publicly issued its support for the rule while the Big Ten has also issued its support for the rule, according to Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports.

The NCAA announced on Tuesday that a Transfer Waiver Working Group has been formed to consider the rule change.

“The current system is unsustainable. Working group members believe it’s time to bring our transfer rules more in line with today’s college landscape,” said working group chair Jon Steinbrecher, commissioner of the Mid-American Conference according to NCAA.org. “This concept provides a uniform approach that is understandable, predictable and objective. Most importantly, it benefits students.”
Should this rule pass, there still will be some restrictions on transfers seeking to gain their eligibility immediately at a new school. Athletes will have to have gained a release from their previous school, have to be in good academic standing, maintain academic progress at their new school and have no pending disciplinary actions or suspensions before gaining eligibility at a new school.
College athletes in non-revenue sports are currently allowed to transfer without restrictions.

NCAA announces 1-time immediate eligibility transfer exception under consideration

Last edited:
This will be good for Cade Mays

Will it be good or terrible for the Top Teams?

They could lose their depth easier and they could bring in missing chess pieces just as easily.

If I was at bama and had the championship ring, I'd be ready leave turd town for greener pastures.

Could get interesting for scholly management too: maybe holding a few more for transfers.

i worry what this will lead to even more problems. schools that lose a good coach could be set back years if half the team leaves. When the coach does leave will he take his whole team with him? will teams keep trying to recruit players even after their LOI is signed. changes can make the game better but it can also ruin the sport if it goes bad.

before you say I don’t worry about the players....I don’t. Free education and if they transfer they get an additional year of free education While they sit out. Being surrounded by thousands of young girls for an extra year before getting into the real world isn’t that bad.

I can see this happening, but with the NCAA involved you can bet there will be a ton of stipulations.

I'm addition to the aforementioned grades, disciplinary, etc., I could see some if/then type rules. Like if player x was recruited by coach a and coach a leaves post signing, player x can choose to transfer without penalty. Basically, framing out cases where eligibility would be immediate. One thing that jumps out at me I'm the article we should all be praising is when it states fair, balanced, and even...those are new concepts for the NCAA.

Reactions: RollerVol
i worry what this will lead to even more problems. schools that lose a good coach could be set back years if half the team leaves. When the coach does leave will he take his whole team with him? will teams keep trying to recruit players even after their LOI is signed. changes can make the game better but it can also ruin the sport if it goes bad.

before you say I don’t worry about the players....I don’t. Free education and if they transfer they get an additional year of free education While they sit out. Being surrounded by thousands of young girls for an extra year before getting into the real world isn’t that bad.

Didn't think about that. Mich St. would be in that boat; UT, FL a few years back. A team like Arky would have a hard time regaining their footing from multiple defections and I think they already had about 25+ transfers out the last couple of years.

This is where a university with solid academics and good intangibles will help to keep the players around. Things like a great college town with lots to do, really good dorms, food, nutrition, S&C and other facilites, weather and local support all come into play.

Cities like Knoxville, Nashville and Athens stand out. GT if they ever figure it out and perhaps Austin. Of Course Vandy doesn't have the facilities and not sure about GT.

Will he take his whole team with him? Are you serious? Schools only have 85 scholarships available.

Coaches can transfer from one school to the next. Why leave the kids out?
Just my opinion. But kids commit to schools not coaches. And when coaches transfer. They usually have to pay,, usually. Kids don’t. I understand that the kids spend a lot of time with the coaches during recruitment but once you are signed in the dotted line. That should be it. At least doing so without a penalty. Transfer and their should be a penalty, sit out a year. Again my opinion.

Just my opinion. But kids commit to schools not coaches. And when coaches transfer. They usually have to pay,, usually. Kids don’t. I understand that the kids spend a lot of time with the coaches during recruitment but once you are signed in the dotted line. That should be it. At least doing so without a penalty. Transfer and their should be a penalty, sit out a year. Again my opinion.
WTF do coaches commit to when they sign multi-million dollar contracts?

Coaches don't have to sit a year between jobs, so why make that distinction for players?

I would like this rule but definitely would need some fine tuning. The 25 initial counters 2 year average would help prevent mass exits by players imo.

Last edited:
I know the schools with the most $$$$ (donors) to pay players for their likeness could not be happier! Let's face it, when the big dollars start to flow, in the open, we'll see a lot more "great" players taking advantage of this new rule. The benefit to us is, we are going to be watching pro football, at NCAA pricing!

WTF do coaches commit to when they sign multi-million dollar contracts?

Coaches don't have to sit a year between jobs, so why make that distinction for players?
My guess is, coaches are paid for their work, while the athletes are receiving room, board, stipend $$, health insurance and all book tuition and fees, are amateurs. If the University paid them to play, I'm guessing they'd be employees-union contracts, state pension plan etc.

I’m not sure I’m a huge fan of free agency college football. On top of that, it makes coaches lives that much more difficult . It’s already bad enough with the early signing period, now constantly recruiting your own team makes things that much more difficult.

I know the schools with the most $$$$ (donors) to pay players for their likeness could not be happier! Let's face it, when the big dollars start to flow, in the open, we'll see a lot more "great" players taking advantage of this new rule. The benefit to us is, we are going to be watching pro football, at NCAA pricing!
Exactly! Player x goes to school y because they can guarantee him big money for putting his face on the local ford dealerships billboards, but after a year or two, realizes that school z pays more money to put players on their local BMW dealership’s billboards.
This whole thing is bout to get crazy!
P.S.
can we go ahead and get Zach Evans in a Wamplers sausage commercial?!
GBO!!

My guess is, coaches are paid for their work, while the athletes are receiving room, board, stipend $$, health insurance and all book tuition and fees, are amateurs. If the University paid them to play, I'm guessing they'd be employees-union contracts, state pension plan etc.
Athletes aren't paid for their work?

Your reasoning for making a distinction between coaches and players is weak and you are on the wrong side of both the argument and history.

I generally agree with this, however, the one restriction that I would add would be that the school the player is transferring from, the "losing" school, can optionally require the player to miss any games the "gaining" school plays against the "losing" school in the year immediately following the transfer, otherwise no other penalties for one time transfer. A second transfer should always require the player to sit out a year except with a situation where the school is dropping the sport or moving to a lower division.

Athletes aren't paid for their work?

Your reasoning for making a distinction between coaches and players is weak and you are on the wrong side of both the argument and history.

I never said, "Athletes aren't paid for their work", I have no idea where that comes from. Student athletes do in fact receive compensation from the University for being on the team, one year at a time. The compensation is limited to the scholarship (NCAA) rules- Every player (85) on scholarship receives the same "compensation", this, of course, is often worked around, just as banks are robbed, but it is not part of the agreed on terms. This is what makes them amateurs, coaches on the other hand are in fact paid professionals. Rather than stating my reasoning is weak-and on the wrong side of history. Please state some facts to show where I've made a mistake. I have no doubt you'll be able to find an exception here and there (even if you haven't stated any), but in the Vast majority of the time, I believe I am in fact on the "right" side of History (NCAA history), for both, players and paid coaches.

VN Store

Back