UNC "Tarheels" name now Racist

Volunteers could be vulnerable since the Tennessee army was known as the Volunteers. I suspect that POTSB has its origins around the time of the Civil War and could be questionable if this logic is allowed to continue.

This is all about a Marxist attempt to erase traditional American institutions and to promote their cause. It has had no racist tones for years until the current Marxist revolution.

The fact that you are serious about all this "Marxist" clabber cements two observations.

1) You have no idea what Marxian philosophy is about and
2) You may be in need of a cranial retrofit.

If you want to go and cherry pick KA yearbook photos from schools all over the South I’m sure you find similar photos from decades ago. This isn’t an excuse, but the KA’s were always the Fraternity of the South so I’m not surprised to see this. That said, UNC has always been a very liberal school that has celebrated it’s diversity on campus and in the surrounding community. Just because racism exists in pockets doesn’t mean it represents the school as a whole. You went to Duke, did you view UNC as a school that was a strong representative of white supremacy or inequality? I lived in Durham for most of my life and there was never that thought that UNC was anything other than a diverse learning environment and like many college campuses some times over the top with some of their progressiveness at time. Hopefully your dislike for UNC is similar to mine where it boils down to a rivalry and all the little nuances that i despise about that athletic program and the digs i can take at their fans.

Last edited:
Those are horrible actions and its terrible that anyone would ever do something so evil to others. I was under the impression we were discussing the term “Tar Heels” and how it was racist or how it was interpreted. I mean if you really want to rip my post apart because I said that I don’t believe UNC is a university steeped in white supremacy or racism be my guest. The people I know who attended UNC, white, black, Asian and Latino were all very excited and proud to attend school there and unfortunately continue to wear their school colors proudly. Like i said, I hope you did not have a negative experience where you were discriminated against at Duke or UNC.

Reactions: ptcarter
If you want to go and cherry pick KA yearbook photos from schools all over the South I’m sure you find similar photos from decades ago. This isn’t an excuse, but the KA’s were always the Fraternity of the South so I’m not surprised to see this. That said, UNC has always been a very liberal school that has celebrated it’s diversity on campus and in the surrounding community. Just because racism exists in pockets doesn’t mean it represents the school as a whole. You went to Duke, did you view UNC as a school that was a strong representative of white supremacy or inequality? I lived in Durham for most of my life and there was never that thought that UNC was anything other than a diverse learning environment and like many college campuses some times over the top with some of their progressiveness at time. Hopefully your dislike for UNC is similar to mine where it boils down to a rivalry and all the little nuances that i despise about that athletic programs and the digs i can take at their fans.
Good post. I like the pockets of racism comment. It's sad, but that will always exist, and those that find it, will use it to paint with a broad brush. Personally, I have great empathy and understanding of the mistreatment of minorities by previous generations. It was bad. But I get my bristles up when I get lumped in that category just by default. And I'm not alone. I'm not racist, never have been racist and if you listen to some of the protesters, they assume that just because I'm a white boomer. It's insulting really.
Edit: I'll add one more comment. I CRINGE at the "N" word. I also feel a little sad when I hear it coming from an African American. I want to say "Dude, come on man - you aren't helping your cause".

Last edited:
Good post. I like the pockets of racism comment. It's sad, but that will always exist, and those that find it, will use it to paint with a broad brush. Personally, I have great empathy and understanding of the mistreatment of minorities by previous generations. It was bad. But I get my bristles up when I get lumped in that category just by default. And I'm not alone. I'm not racist, never have been racist and if you listen to some of the protesters, they assume that just because I'm a white boomer. It's insulting really.
Edit: I'll add one more comment. I CRINGE at the "N" word. I also feel a little sad when I hear it coming from an African American. I want to say "Dude, come on man - you aren't helping your cause".
It's precisely that lumping in that is actual racism, and it's become mainstream.

They're creating the beast themselves.

If you want to go and cherry pick KA yearbook photos from schools all over the South I’m sure you find similar photos from decades ago. This isn’t an excuse, but the KA’s were always the Fraternity of the South so I’m not surprised to see this. That said, UNC has always been a very liberal school that has celebrated it’s diversity on campus and in the surrounding community. Just because racism exists in pockets doesn’t mean it represents the school as a whole. You went to Duke, did you view UNC as a school that was a strong representative of white supremacy or inequality? I lived in Durham for most of my life and there was never that thought that UNC was anything other than a diverse learning environment and like many college campuses some times over the top with some of their progressiveness at time. Hopefully your dislike for UNC is similar to mine where it boils down to a rivalry and all the little nuances that i despise about that athletic program and the digs i can take at their fans.

I was just pointing out that UNC has plenty of racism associated with it. Drawing the line for what qualifies as "steeped in racism" or "a strong representative" is subjective; it's not Ole Miss, but the school (1) named like 30 buildings after racists and/or Confederates, (2) kept a Confederate statue as a landmark despite decades of protests (and then (3) gave the Sons of the Confederacy $2.5 million when they finally had to get rid of it), (4) has blackface proudly displayed throughout many of its yearbooks from people who were nowhere near KA, and (5) had a white supremacist group come into the middle of campus and kill a black person. I don't think I would say that racism "represents the school as a whole," but how many schools like that are there?

Duke isn't exempt either, I know they've recently had a noose hanging from a tree on campus and the N-word written on the outside of the black cultural center. There have been plenty of other incidents and there's always been tension with (largely) a bunch of rich white kids surrounded by some lower-income neighborhoods in a majority black city.

I would say both schools are far from the worst offenders, but the vast majority of schools are liberal and celebrate diversity and that doesn't mean they are all clear on the racism front. Or, perhaps more accurately, a school can condemn racism based on its core values while also still being a place where racism rears its ugly head far more than it should. I don't have strong feelings about "Tar Heel," nor am I trying to rip your post apart at all, I just disagree with the "WHAT? Racism at UNC?" surprise (which I think was a very small part of your overall point).

Last edited:
Reactions: RDU VOL#14
As a man with a small amount of Irish descent, I believe Notre Dame's problematic nickname requires a change. We Irish are not all angry, fighting, midget drunks and I cannot stand for the injustice of being represented in such a way, especially given the way Irish people were treated around the turn of the 1900s.
My dad's side of the family is Irish. While I don't drink, I am 5'6", angry a lot (have a whole thread dedicated to it in the zone), and used to fight😂

Reactions: RDU VOL#14
Hopefully when they bring the torches, the source origin is noted instead of what was appropriated by a totally different group of individuals. The ok sign used to be employed by all walks of life to insinuate “all’s good”...then some white supremacists brandished it at a rally and now the Minions are Aryan Nation.
They have removed the OK emoticon from my business' instant messaging platform recently. Type in OK to search for it, I just get thumbs up now. Monsters.

My dad's side of the family is Irish. While I don't drink, I am 5'6", angry a lot (have a whole thread dedicated to it in the zone), and used to fight😂
So did you wear a jersey that was half UGA half ND last year for the game in Athens? Sorry, I just always wanted to do that.😃

The fact that you are serious about all this "Marxist" clabber cements two observations.

Marxism is only "philosophical" to people with warped sense of reality and politics.

Reactions: onevol74
They have removed the OK emoticon from my business' instant messaging platform recently. Type in OK to search for it, I just get thumbs up now. Monsters.

@butchna is actually off in his understanding of the root of it. There was a targeted 4chan troll campaign that lead to far-left orgs deeming the OK symbol to be some white gang sign and milk to be a white supremacist beverage.

There's no actual white supremacist anything behind it, just trolling.

So the founders of BLM (the organization, not the slogan) were...kidding, or something, when they said that?

The organization itself is quite obviously, and by their own admission, a far-left group advocating for things that go far beyond police brutality. You don't see that?

The BLM organization has brilliant marketing - BLM is both the name of an organization and a movement/motto. It allows them to conflate either support or opposition for the movement and the organization. Oppose the organization? Then they say you're against Black Lives Matter, which obviously makes you a racist.

Is Black Lives Matter Marxist? No and Yes. | Brad Polumbo

Last edited:
Reactions: MemphisVol77

VN Store

Back