UIC Game 2

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Another loss. Vols gave up 9 runs in the last 3 innings to lose 9-6. UIC leads the series 2-0.

Christ,are we ever gonna get over .500 again this season?

This is getting down right depressing now and we're aren't even in conference play yet. :disappointed:

Okay Perry,break it down for us.What is going on with the 2 back to back losses?

UT's bulllpen is terrible, which in turn makes Delmonico leave the starters in to long. Not having 2 All Americans out there hurts the defense as well as the offense

There are a multitude of factors that are contributing to our lackluster start - all of which have been pointed out in some form or fashion.

IMO, the single biggest factor in our struggle is defense. When that is coupled with an inexperienced bullpen, the results can be disasterous. I firmly believe that the bullpen has a chance to be pretty good, but they are going to have to pitch some successful innings to get their confidence back. It's not so much getting hit hard, but the untimely walks that extend innings and add that extra base to the lead runner that get you killed. That was key in both of the last 2 losses.

Our offense is starting come around, even without 2 stalwarts in the lineup. I'm not talking Murderers Row, but they are getting better at creating some runs (now 20/26 in SB, and the team BA is now .268) and getting more timely hits. 5 runs should have won both of the last 2 games.

Evidence of the defense being the primary culprit:

Let's just throw out the FSU series altogether; but remember in game 3 we had 4 errors, leading to 6 unearned runs in a 19-7 loss.

Friday: UIC 6 UT 5 - we had 2 errors, leading to 2 unearned runs.

Saturday: UIC 9 UT 6 - 6 errors, 5 unearned runs.

In our 6-3 loss to Eastern Michigan (2/10) - 3 errors, 3 unearned runs.

Currently, our team fielding percentage is .953. In my mind, the "what you want to be #" for team fielding percentage is .965. Anything above that - say, .970 or better, would be outstanding. Below that and you're constantly striving to improve. That's where we are right now.

Prior to yesterday, Danny Lima was errorless through 9 games (fldg % = 1.000); yesterday, he had 3 errors and is now at .938. Tony D has 9 errors so far this year and has a fldg % of .890 - which as a SS has to be much, much higher because SS's handle the ball so much. The old adage about being strong up the middle will always hold true. This isn't picking on these guys, either, because I know how hard Tony works at his game, and I'm sure Danny is the same - sometimes you just struggle. I have every reason to believe we'll get better, but we'll have to for this season to improve and for us to have a chance in the SEC.

We've got to get better - period. This game is all about doing the little things consistently and correctly. Don't write them off yet. The real season doesn't start until March 16 and we've yet to play a game with all the bullets in the chamber.

Let's get this one today and get back on track.

Go BaseVOLS!

VN Store

Back