UGA to sell beer and wine to select donors in Sanford Stadium

BeardedVol

Not-Well-Known Member
The recent debate about alcohol sales at SEC football games has been enlightening to me. There are far more neo-prohibitionists out there than I thought.

The recent debate about alcohol sales at SEC football games has been enlightening to me. There are far more neo-prohibitionists out there than I thought.

Somewhat insane that parents take their kids to Chuck E' Cheese, and get a beer while the kids waste money, but if you mention selling beer at college football games, it's all "think of the children!!!!!" from the same people.

Such a bizarre position.

Reactions: Rasputin_Vol
Somewhat insane that parents take their kids to Chuck E' Cheese, and get a beer while the kids waste money, but if you mention selling beer at college football games, it's all "think of the children!!!!!" from the same people.

Such a bizarre position.
Most people I know who fall into that category, and it admittedly isn't a large sample size, are just averse to any change for any reason and have a child-like naivete. You should continue to do something a certain way because it has "always" been done that way. Even if the status quo makes no sense and a change is needed. Also, they think if you start selling beer, then you'll have drunk people in the stadium. The concept of pre-gaming, getting blasted at a tailgate before entering, sneaking in airplane bottles/flasks, etc. doesn't seem to occur to them.

As long as they can remember, Chuck E. Cheese has always had beer, so it's OK to get a beer there while the kids play. As long as they can remember, alcohol hasn't been sold at football games, so therefore that shouldn't be changed.

Last edited:

Such a bizarre position.

I’m not worried about the children at the football game. It’s the bullet proof drinkers that worry me with the sale of alcohol and after the fact. Far to many think they can “hold their own” and can’t walk after two beers.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
I’m not worried about the children at the football game. It’s the bullet proof drinkers that worry me with the sale of alcohol and after the fact. Far to many think they can “hold their own” and can’t walk after two beers.

How's that any different from any NFL, NHL, MLB, NBA game, or even your local Applebee's?

I could care less if they ever did sell inside the stadium. Plenty consumption at the tailgates. A dry stadium kinda goes along with the college age athletics, in theory. I've been at the top of Neyland. No fool would walk down those steps anything short of sober.

Reactions: VolNExile
I could care less if they ever did sell inside the stadium. Plenty consumption at the tailgates. A dry stadium kinda goes along with the college age athletics, in theory. I've been at the top of Neyland. No fool would walk down those steps anything short of sober.

True. That's why the majority of Neyland's seating is reserved for students, and why seating prices are so reasonable.

True. That's why the majority of Neyland's seating is reserved for students, and why seating prices are so reasonable.

I see the sarcasm color. Well put. I did say in theory to cover my bases. I'm not paying those prices.

I've heard that Sanford Stadium will, in fact, be serving wine coolers to the rest of the crowd during the season. They know their fans and they keep 'em happy down there!

Such a bizarre position.

Back in the day we used to sneak into the stadium Friday night and tape flasks under our seats. The north end zone upper deck didn’t exist so it was a breeze to jump the fence.

Our libations were ready and waiting for us on Gameday.

VN Store

Back