UGA hires Todd Monken as OC

secking

In a big move away from the stagnant offense that UGA has become, UGA hires one of the brightest minds in offensive football. Monken has had the top offense in college football, he has had the top offense in the NFL. Monken called plays for the No.1 passing game in the NFL at Tampa Bay in 2018.

The 2018 Bucs averaged 320.3 yards through the air with quarterbacks Jameis Winton and Ryan Fitzpatrick combining to complete 65.3-percent of their passes. Cleveland fans were upset all year that Kitchens wouldn’t allow him to call plays at Cleveland.

Also known for turning around stagnant offenses in one year. He did wonders at Oklahoma St and LSU. He is more air raid but also runs the ball avg 189/game at OSU. Avg 49.8 ppg with Weeden but still 45.7 without him.

It appears Smart isn’t as stubborn as most (myself included) thought.

Why you coming over here telling me this king? I just had breakfast.
Sorry... 😐

Honestly thought a change might have been coming. When he went solely after Newman, figured he wanted something different. Newman is rated the #3 returning QB next year according to PFF, so maybe he’s admitting He made a mistake with Fields? Kinda sounds like it...

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Where is Coley going to end up? That would be a tough pill to stay after a demotion if that's what happens.

Where is Coley going to end up? That would be a tough pill to stay after a demotion if that's what happens.
Sherrer stayed though, so you never know. I agree however that under most circumstances that'd be bad enough that you'd think Coley would move on and hopefully take his recruiting prowess elsewhere.

Right now, he is staying. Pay will stay the same and title will move to Co-OC. Don’t see him leaving and cutting his pay in half and I don’t see anyone else hiring him as OC. If he can find someone that will do that, I wish him well.

Sherrer stayed though, so you never know. I agree however that under most circumstances that'd be bad enough that you'd think Coley would move on and hopefully take his recruiting prowess elsewhere.
Sherrer is best buds with Pruitt. He, Friend, and Pruitt are the 3 bald amigos. See Sherrer and Friend at UT as long as Pruitt is there.

He's staying, and probably quite happy to. I don't think he could move anywhere else right now and receive a raise/promotion.

Monken is a solid hire. Big improvement over Coley. However, I don't see him leading UGA to top offensive numbers next season. Too much to replace on the o-line (despite the talent available) and you're bringing in a grad transfer at QB that is certainly talented but hasn't had much success against the few good defenses he has faced. He'll have a better surrounding cast than he did at WF, but the competition is significantly stronger. After seeing him play a few times, I think he's got a good arm, ok accuracy, mobile enough to gain some yards on the ground but not outrun SEC defenses, and his decision making is just ok. Unless Monken is a magician, I think that offense will probably struggle the first half of the season just from all the new starters and new system on offense. On the plus side, you can expect improvement instead of the regression you were getting with Coley.

Reactions: Palm Beach Vol
With the defense they have returning they just need a slight improvement in the offense to secure the East again and I think they will unfortunately
They are vulnerable in 2020. Replacing not just Fromm, but a lot on the offensive line too. Most importantly, they play at Alabama early in the season. I think Florida beats them as well.

In a big move away from the stagnant offense that UGA has become, UGA hires one of the brightest minds in offensive football. Monken has had the top offense in college football, he has had the top offense in the NFL. Monken called plays for the No.1 passing game in the NFL at Tampa Bay in 2018.

The 2018 Bucs averaged 320.3 yards through the air with quarterbacks Jameis Winton and Ryan Fitzpatrick combining to complete 65.3-percent of their passes. Cleveland fans were upset all year that Kitchens wouldn’t allow him to call plays at Cleveland.

Also known for turning around stagnant offenses in one year. He did wonders at Oklahoma St and LSU. He is more air raid but also runs the ball avg 189/game at OSU. Avg 49.8 ppg with Weeden but still 45.7 without him.

It appears Smart isn’t as stubborn as most (myself included) thought.

Stagnant offense at OSU?! You literally just made that up 😂 They were in the top three in total offense the year before he arrived and continue to be great offensively which has literally nothing to do with Todd Monken. That would be Mike Gundy. He was never the OC at LSU, making things up again. His great “success” at Tampa was a mirage of meaningless 4th quarter stats by Jameis. Winston got progressively worse under Monken and he was benched for Fitzpatrick. Baker Mayfield regressed this year under Monken, Cleveland and Tampa couldn’t move the ball against anyone with a pulse much like the number one offense this year in Dallas. Finally, Tampa led the league in passing this season as well without Monken. He is an empty suit. “Great” offensive minds in the NFL get head coaching positions, they don’t take “non-play calling” positions at Cleveland then take a demotion to a college OC.

Cleveland Browns: Baker Mayfield held back by OC Todd Monken?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back