UF newspaper says TBA > O'Connell center

Keep the Gators ... relevant?!?!

Sounds like we are adopting the same attitude you did with Fulmer keeping you "generally competitive."

Florida has some talented kids and they are young. But Donovan cannot coast at this point. He knows that. Still, this current Gator squad is just plain bland. They have no identity, no character, no soul.

Thats a pretty good read. From what it sounds like the O-dome sucks pretty bad. I can't believe that they have only had one sellout since their last NC and the bad thing is that the O-dome only holds about 13 thousand.

Keep the Gators ... relevant?!?!

Sounds like we are adopting the same attitude you did with Fulmer keeping you "generally competitive."

Florida has some talented kids and they are young. But Donovan cannot coast at this point. He knows that. Still, this current Gator squad is just plain bland. They have no identity, no character, no soul.

Tough to replace 6 NBA players that leave all in the same year. Florida always has excellent recruiting classes. I expect them to be competing nationally again in the next couple of years.

Thats a pretty good read. From what it sounds like the O-dome sucks pretty bad. I can't believe that they have only had one sellout since their last NC and the bad thing is that the O-dome only holds about 13 thousand.

I've been to many games there, including as a sophomore or so in like 1983. In this day and age, and given the dough they've made in recent years, certainly the place could stand an overhaul if not just completely build a new one.

As to the attendance, the reality is that Florida is, and will always be, a football school. We just don't have rivals in basketball that motivate the students to come out for a game on a Tuesday or a Wednesday night. Unless its Kentucky (or, yes, on some occassions UT when the rankings are high) Gator fans still a bit complacent about bball.

Tough to replace 6 NBA players that leave all in the same year. Florida always has excellent recruiting classes. I expect them to be competing nationally again in the next couple of years.

I realize that. But I'd still like to see some level of desire and other than here and there with Calathes, the team often seems to me to be sleep walking. I see no desire in them right now.

I realize that. But I'd still like to see some level of desire and other than here and there with Calathes, the team often seems to me to be sleep walking. I see no desire in them right now.
Maybe y'all should fire Donovan... :p

Maybe y'all should fire Donovan... :p

Don't laugh.

I'm not saying he'd be "fired," but let's face it. That whole Orlando Magic fiasco has to leave you wondering whether Donovan has the same drive he had in 2006 and 2007. I'm not unrealistic -- that team was incredibly special and one that successul almost surely won't come along again for a long time in this day and age of early NBA defections. Odds of even a great team being able to navigate two tournaments like that are beyond impossibly long.

But if you then bring in some good players and they wallow with mental focus, if they are intimidated by rival fans and get themselves sucked into a playground fest like they did the other night, and don't seem to really care, it makes me wonder exactly who is minding the store.

And if indeed Donovan is just plain bored, he'll take the shot he is certainly able to get to go and coach at the next level. He won't have to be asked to go. It will just happen.

The current Florida players came in on the heels of two titles. You have to be hungry to win, and they have never seemed that hungry the last couple of years, but rather entitled to or at least expecting great things.

This is a hangover of sorts. Florida will be back in another year or two.

The sky is the limit when you have this guy as your leader.
pg2_a_vanillaIce_300.jpg

If you turn on ESPN right now, you will see a true testament of how apathetic Gator Nation is towards basketball. Their upper deck is empty...and remember. It only holds 13,000 in the first place.

If winning back to back NC's doesn't make you a basketball town I don't see how it could ever be one.

If you turn on ESPN right now, you will see a true testament of how apathetic Gator Nation is towards basketball. Their upper deck is empty...and remember. It only holds 13,000 in the first place.

It was pretty pathetic, especially for a nationally televised game. Their first NIT game last year was even worse....3-5 K attended.

Florida is a football school. How often does UT get 13,000 people to a game, anyway? Seems to me that Kentucky is really the only school that year in and year out can count on near sell outs.

Florida is a football school. How often does UT get 13,000 people to a game, anyway? Seems to me that Kentucky is really the only school that year in and year out can count on near sell outs.

I am not totally sure, but I believe UT has more than 13,000 season ticket holders.

Here is a link off of ncaa.org, which shows that UT has been in the top 25 of attendance, since the arena opened in 88.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/resources/file/ebbe964a5740725/top25.pdf?MOD=AJPERES

Yea that wasn't a very well educated post. Tennessee has had around 20,000 at every game this year. I paid attenion to the crowd last night at the O-dome and I think there was well less than 9000 people there. Lots of support for the b-ball team.

I'm almost positive our women's team averages more than 13,000 fans, so you can bet we don't have trouble getting more than that for the men's games.

Ummm, since Bruce has been here we've pretty much been in the Top 5 for attendance. Even before that we usually made the Top 20.

So to answer your question, all the time.

LG, love you around here, brother, but this is probably the most uneducated that you've ever sounded. The Tommy has been filled with more than 20K for quite a few games, now.

And, don't give me this "football school" stuff. We've heard that before, as well.

that is an interesting perspective on the state of Florida B-Ball. I seem to remember last year CBD saying that he hated his team and locked them out of their locker room. they have truly been from the mountain top to the low valley now.

The oconnell center is a joke---they have trouble getting 9,000 there for most games.

The O'connell center looks like its hosting a final four game compared to Auburn's showing today.

VN Store

Back