UF major sports containment thread

The notion that anyone can hire a top 10 football coach without a ton of luck/aligned stars is overrated. It takes a ton of luck. Saban going to Bama was just great timing, as was Urban to Ohio State. Usually, you have to identify a good prospect and have him develop into a top 10 coach.

I guess USC just did it with Riley. But that was because he was trying to get away from SEC competition. Florida doesn’t have that luxury.
I would say UF hired a Top10 coach when they signed Mullen.
Hell, we came extremely close to hiring him just days before.
He won at Starkville!
He just fell out of the Top10 within months by settling on a lot of recruits. He went from ambitious to complacent.
It looked like he recruited to give his wife access to more kissable young athletes.

I agree with all of the second paragraph.

Michigan is another top tier program. So, they hired Harbaugh who I consider to be a top-10 type of coach.

Just curious...who are your top ten coaches? Saban, Riley, Kelly, plus seven other guys.

Right now? In no order: Harbaugh, Franklin, Riley, Dabo, Saban, Kirby, Day, Kelly, Wittingham…Then there’s a drop. Probably put Gundy there based on what he’s done at a non-blueblood program.

Our resident Gator fans here are solid posters, so nothing personal... but man, it's such a good feeling seeing that sports program in the dumps.

As it should be. They enjoyed over a decade of our football program being in those exact same dumps, basketball too for a few years.

Right now? In no order: Harbaugh, Franklin, Riley, Dabo, Saban, Kirby, Day, Kelly, Wittingham…Then there’s a drop. Probably put Gundy there based on what he’s done at a non-blueblood program.
I think it gets pretty crowded for the pretty good but not elite group. I agree with your list, only name I would toss in there is Fickell. I think Fickell is up there, he has been to the playoffs when two of the names on your list haven't. He was able to maintain at a lower level, i will be interested to see how he does at Wisconsin.

These guys need to sustain to make the "Top" list
Dykes
I think K States coach is up there, but is probably a ceiling there. but got a conference title. he was exceptional at a lower level and is doing a great job.

Guys that need to get a title to enter the conversation. some of these may be flash in the pan types.
Kansas's coach Leipold, also did an incredible job with a low ceiling.
Heupel may be there.
Washingtons coach
I know the reaction this will get but, Kiffin.
Lansing with Oregon looked pretty good.
maybe, maybe, maybe Matt Campbell. Incredibly low ceiling there.

Ferentz is an interesting name for me. Iowa is either better than they should be, or worse than they should be. but he has maintained for a long time, at a bad school, and even got two conferences titles, and has been the conference championship game a couple times.

Looking at their spring practice reports etc. I think the new DC will be good. Young. But very engaging. And pretty knowledgeable.

Playing them early with the young players they have on D and a new QB is an advantage for us.

Looking at their spring practice reports etc. I think the new DC will be good. Young. But very engaging. And pretty knowledgeable.

Playing them early with the young players they have on D and a new QB is an advantage for us.

2023 will be rough for us.

September 16 might be the most points ever scored in the swamp by an opponent.
We haven’t won down there in 20 years and we’ve never seen Joe Milton in an SEC road environment. I’m going to hold off before I get on that idea that we’re going into Gainesville and cruise. We were not a good a road team last season.

We haven’t won down there in 20 years and we’ve never seen Joe Milton in an SEC road environment. I’m going to hold off before I get on that idea that we’re going into Gainesville and cruise. We were not a good a road team last season.
We smashed LSU on the road. Also, this might be the least talented gator team since the 1980's. Milton is unproven and it is early in the season, but I think Heup has this offense running like a machine at this point. Just plug in the new pieces and don't skip a beat.

I have no idea what the most points scored on uf in Gainesville is, but I'm sticking with my bold prediction that we surpass it. I think the D gets some turnovers to help out the O. If there was ever a year to break a record against uf, this is it.

We smashed LSU on the road. Also, this might be the least talented gator team since the 1980's. Milton is unproven and it is early in the season, but I think Heup has this offense running like a machine at this point. Just plug in the new pieces and don't skip a beat.

I have no idea what the most points scored on uf in Gainesville is, but I'm sticking with my bold prediction that we surpass it. I think the D gets some turnovers to help out the O. If there was ever a year to break a record against uf, this is it.

I’m not thinking today. You’re right. That might’ve been our most impressive win last year too. South Carolina fresh on my mind still.

Reactions: BlinghamptonVol

VN Store

Back