UF contract offer to Stoops prompts OU counter

U-T

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...lede.3e5f8.html

NORMAN, Okla. – Oklahoma City television station KOCO-TV reported Wednesday night that Florida officials made a contract offer to Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops and that OU officials countered with a higher offer that he is expected to sign soon.

Sports director Mark Rodgers said he could not report specifics of either Florida's offer or OU's counteroffer. Stoops' current contract pays him approximately $2.4 million annually.

Stoops and OU athletic director Joe Castiglione could not be reached for comment. A source within the athletic department said Stoops had a meeting with OU president David Boren on Wednesday afternoon, but details of the meeting were unknown. Boren could not be reached.

OU sports information director Kenny Mossman said late Wednesday that he was unaware of any contract negotiations.

Florida made a play for Stoops two years ago when coach Steve Spurrier left Gainesville. At the time, news reports said Stoops was offered $3 million annually. Stoops declined, and Florida hired Ron Zook.

Stoops was Florida's defensive coordinator from 1996-98. During that time, the Gators won the 1996 national title, and Stoops rose to prominence as one of the nation's hottest assistant coaches.

After Zook was fired Oct. 25, Stoops' name surfaced again. But the OU coach took what he thought was a preemptive strike to douse rumors by releasing several statements expressing his love for the Sooners. Castiglione even went so far to say that it was the Florida media perpetuating the rumors.

Earlier Wednesday when Stoops met with reporters, the subject of his job speculation arose again. Stoops was emphatic that he was not going anywhere.

"I hear that I'm going everywhere," Stoops said. "That's just not happening. ... It surprises me, though, that more of them don't understand how fortunate and happy I am to be here at Oklahoma with such a great program with such a great tradition. To me, this is an elite program."

The one person :D about this is Nick Saban! In his contract he has to be paid 1 dollar more then the highest paid college coach!! LOL!! I bet he is loving this!

For that year....he doesn't get it everytime someone over-salaries him

VN Store

Back